Colour: Blue|Style: Blu|Change

on 1 May 2017
I brought 2 of the USB 3.0 extension to more the two from the back of my pc to my gaming desk very useful indeed
on 3 April 2017
no review
on 30 September 2012
I have had several issue with my motherboard (Asus P8P67 Pro) and USB 3, USB 3 sticks only work when directly connected. But this Startech desk top USB 3 extensions works perfectly. It's also very convenient to have it easily accessible on my desk.
on 24 June 2012
I bought this along with a normal cable which was about one third the price. I needed one for myself and another for my Father in Law. I gave hime the choice, but was hoping that he would go with the standard one as this one is a bit cooler.

Performance wise, there's nothing to choose, but as he uses his for a hdd which is permanently connected, there seems little point in him having the Startech one (hooray!), so I got to keep it.

It sits on the desk quite happily and the weight of it's 5-ft cable is not able to drag the socket off because of the plastic 'bulb', which appears to be slightly weighted.

The only minus point is the cost, but I guess you are paying a bit for the name, and it is a very nice product.

I certainly don't regret buying it one bit!
on 3 December 2012
Got this USB 3 extension cable when I got fed up trying to reach at the back of my tower case every time I wanted to connect my USB 3.0 flash drive to my PCIe USB 3.0 card. Didn't have a connection at the front so this cable was perfect! Works great, speed is as good as when connecting it directly, and the little base is nice and tidy!
on 26 July 2012
I bought this to back-up to a USB 3.0 Flash Drive and found that it does everything it says on the tin, yes the connection is a little tight but I thought ok. Maybe it's because of the extra connections in the socket for backwards connection. I like the weighted base, it'll do for me
on 15 August 2012
this extension is great, the cable is very thick so wont break and very good quality, it came the day after i ordered it and even comes with the filler caps for when your not using it, lets my usb3.0 write at 39MBPS! 5/5star
on 8 September 2013
Works OK with flash drive (and presumably with other undemanding devices). However, does not work reliably with my Hitachi Touro portable HD drive. This HDD (which works flawlessly with its own short cable) is probably sensitive to voltage drop but I had hoped that what I assumed was a superior quality extension lead would have maintained sufficient voltage at the device, but sadly not.
on 4 June 2014
Does what it says; there's little to add. The printing on the side is rather in-your-face and might be better if it were more subtle, and the socket end though weighty isn't heavy enough, but does go some way to keeping things in place.

The main issue is that although most devices work through it, there is obviously some power loss down the cable because the more demanding peripherals that work fine on the PC (even the same port, with this disconnected and replaced by the peripheral directly) become less reliable when used with this cable - one of my external hard drives will sometimes suddenly start crashing its heads etc.

All cables introduce loss, so it's not surprising, but it's something to be aware of - I'd test it thoroughly with all your kit as soon as you get it so you can return it if needed.
on 7 September 2013
I bought this to extend the USB 3.0 port on the back of my desktop PC as I have none on the front.
It comes sealed in a plastic zip up bag with plastic fill caps to protect the ports and connector.
The first thing I noticed is the build quality was much better than I expected. The base is quite weighty and the cable is thick and very well shielded.
Now the one thing I really wanted but is difficult to find on USB extensions is the ability to connect a portable USB powered external hard drive to it. I am delighted to say it works flawlessly! Most USB extension are not wired to provide all the power directly from the port but this one does.
At nearly £10 it is quite expensive but for the quality I would say it's absolutely worth it.
Very good purchase.