on 18 December 2012
I have had this for a while now and use it on a regular basis. Bought it to use on a holiday instead of a laptop and have found it does the job well. Takes reasonable photos and movie and is easy to use. At the time it was half the price of the IPAD and did what I wanted so it was a good buy.
on 17 April 2012
As I have had 3 HTC 'phones (Currently an HTC Desire S)I expected a very high standard from the Flyer, and I have not been disappointed. The product was delivered with Android 2.3, but the facility is available to upgrade to Android 3.2, which apparently is designed for tablets, this was very easy to do, but it would have been helpful to know that the upgrade was in 4 stages.
I thought about whether I should opt for a 10.1 inch tablet, or 7 inch, and I'm glad that I chose the 7 inch, as it is much easier to carry, whilst being very easy to use, and synchronise with my laptop and smartphone.
At the price (Presumably very keen because as delivered, the tablet is on a lower version of operating system, and requires some dedication in terms of installing the upgrade)
on 18 June 2012
I'll start by saying I've used a number of Apple and Android devices and that this is the most recent.

I use a 10" tablet at home and while I think it's great I find it a little large to carry around all day. I was looking for a device that I could use for work purposes rather than for home, and this seemed a good fit.

I wanted something to replace my paper notebook and the various 'Post Its' and other scraps of paper I find myself using and loosing. A 7" tablet seemed like a good compromise in size and weight and that's exactly how it's turned out.

When I first switched it on I had a couple of updates available. They brought it bang up to date with the latest Android OS, 4, Ice Cream Sandwich.

In daily use I can carry it around with me without it looking odd as it's no bigger than my previous paper pad.

The hand writing using the stylus works very well and the notepad app will automatically create a note when it sees I have an appointment which is a nice touch. I can read PDFs and other resouces where ever I am. I take notes and photos; and annotate them, they then get synched back to my desktop using Skitch and Evernote. It's replaced my Kindle for my lunch time reading aided with some internet radio. I obviously surf and email with it and synch my calender.

Battery life is very good, I charge it every 2 or 3 days usually. This will depend on your usage of course. It's recharged by micro USB although it's slightly different to the standard connector. It's slightly larger and more robust, in practice this means you can charge the flyer from and usual micro USB charger but you cannot use the charger and lead supplied with the flyer for other things.

The only downside I've noticed is the lack of storage for the stylus. I got around this my buying a cheap case off eBay that has a stylus loop. It looks great and gives a better more business like appearance.

So all in all I couldn't be happier with my purchase and all this for half the the price of a decent Android or Apple 10" tablet.

The only reason this isn't a runaway success for HTC is people don't look beyond Apple. If you're reading this then you're not one of these people, and if your use case is similar to mine buy one today you won't be disapointed.
on 13 July 2011
What I like:

1) Size
2) Speed (it's as fast as my 2.4GHZ laptop when conncecting to the internet)
3) Battery - lasts looong
4) Stylus: I didn't know it was included, very nice surprise when I found it in the package)
5) Apps and games in the market

What I don't like

1) I don't miss Honeycomb, but the only fact that I know it is going to be released soon, keeps me impatient as I know it's going to improve the tablet anD, as I already love this, it can only get better :-DDD

BUY IT!!!!!!
on 25 November 2012
This is an incredible tablet, it's a crime from HTC that they didn't update it.
If you are looking for a 7 inch tablet for professional use at school, uni or workplace, go for it. In combination with lectureNotes, it's a must have.
If you look for a bigger tablet for professional use for school, uni or workplace go for:

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 inch Tablet - White (ARM Cortex A9 1.4GHz, 16GB, Wi-Fi, BT, Android 4.0)
on 14 January 2016
Bought for a friend. they wanted a tablet but not as expensive as an ipad so after research this was the best we could find and its delivered. the screen was large and clear the sound was good and the general usage was easy and seemed to be fast. would recommend to anyone
on 18 July 2012
I've had the HTC Flyer for just over a month now and it's great! I struggled for weeks to decide which tablet to go for but finall settled on this... I have no regrets!

Yes, the iPad is more stylish and sleek and has a better range of apps and features, but for me its too large for every day (9.7") compared with the HTC (7"), but that's my opinion dont let put you off iPad because they are a great piece of kit.

HTC is cheaper and offers a majority of features of the iPad and it won't disappoint! You can still download many great apps and music and video is great. One thing to be noted with video is your best downloading an new video player because HTC one in general is rubbish lol (I use an app called moboplayer and it plays everything if thrown at it so far!)

Internet on the HTC is great I bought a 3 mobile sim with 3gb preloaded data £11 and you have 3 month to us the 3gb. I've been using that too for month and have used 1.76gb according to an app called 3g watchdog. There is hardly any lag when browsing. I was watching a film on netflix on a train from Newcastle to Edinburgh which is an hour nd 30min and the video stream only buffered twice and even was seconds! See link below for the 3 mobile sim

3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 3GB Preloaded Data Sim for Mobile Devices

The camera takes a reasonable photo for a 5megapixel. I haven't used the front camer for web chat but other say its great.

I cant recommend the HTC enough! Its just great. But if you thinking of just getting the WiFi version without 3g... Don't! Theres no point in buying a tablet without 3g, well only if you don't leave house lol
on 24 May 2012
Not being a tech whiz, I looked around for a small device to take around with me, specially when I travel, (my net book was too big and heavy to carry around). I just needed something to my check e-mails, surf the net and maybe read a book. Well, the Flyer goes far beyond my expectations. It does a lot more than I imagined. It is sturdy but not too heavy. The white cover is neat and practical. I can even write notes with its stylus. Excellent picture quality, the versatility of functions is a source of constant amazement to me. Now I find myself watching movies, YouTube clips, playing games, etc. I am building a little library as it is such a pleasure to read in my tablet. Besides, the free downloads from Android Market and particularly Amazon Kindle have the biggest choice I have seen. I love the fact that, for its size and price, it delivers such excellent quality performance. It has become my constant companion wherever I go. From by handbag to my beside table. Just priceless!
on 15 February 2012
Delivered, on time, well packed, exactly as I've come to expect from Amazon. Then came the big issue - as a total newbie to Android (or Apple), it took some time to understand what it was about. Magazines and even the User Guide (online only) helped but also confused. In the end it came down to trial and (many) error. Biggest problem was the up-grading from Gingerbread to Honeycomb; the answer was on the screen but it took a thorough examination of the icons at the bottom to understand that the download was waiting for me. In the course of waiting I got quite used to Gb such that I'm still unsure whether the upgrade to Hc was worth the effort.

At the moment I'm happy with the fact that I can use the tablet anywhere. It's portability is the winning ticket. My netbook hasn't been opened since I got the Flyer and I can now see that really the two are alternatives, not complementary. Apps, although I have some, are still something of a mystery but the Kindle download (with the other Reader offerings) was well worthwhile. Domestically, the tablet seems just about acceptable where nursing and clicking the netbook during the evening's TV would not be. Peace and happiness now reign together.

So, if you are intrigued enough to want to buy one, it would be useful to find the User Guide from HTC Support and read some of it BEFORE you order. Then you'll know what to do when it arrives. So far, I haven't bothered with the micro SD or the Sim cards. That will come when it seems right (i.e. stops being a toy or a thing to fiddle with). Would I recommend it? Certainly, both for those who want to put it to use straight away and to those who want to experiment with the system less expensively than buying an iPad.
on 21 February 2012
I had my eye on this for a while but could not justify the cost. The recent price cut though (to 200-250) makes this a bargin.

Web browser is fast and handles flash well. I've tried plenty of games including OnLive and have been happy with everything so far.

The stylus works very well but the built in notes app doesn't use it very well. Luckily the apps market has a number of apps that have an n-trig stylus only mode. My favorite is LectureNotes as it gives a good level of zoom and very smooth inking. I've used this to replace a notepad at work. The built in app has less smooth ink but does make it easy to add audio recordings of your meetings and also annotate screen shots. This latter feature is good for web pages. All sync with Evernote.

Another bonus is that this can charge via USB.

One negative is that the device is a little thick compared to the Apple and Samsung alternatives.

Note: this device needed 3 to 4 system updates before te latest O/S was installe. You ned theseupdates before the stylus becomes usable as a mouse.