on 5 June 2017
This was bought for my other half who's more into this kind of music. My tastes are a little more "synthetic", if you know what I mean.

However, although I might not lose myself in music like this (as my other half might), I recognise a wonderful set of hauntingly lovely songs. As soon as the first song began to play, I knew she'd love this CD, and I actually found myself stopping to listen to it. Let me re-iterate: This is NOT my kind of music! I really dislike vocal music, and for some reason the female timbre grates on my ears, and I don't know why (I'm not that much more keen on the male voice, in a classical setting tbh either).

So, it's all the more wonderful to put on a CD like this, and find myself captivated by it. Agnes' voice is transfixing, and the songs are equally mesmerising. This is wonderful music to have on in the background, or while you're cooking.
4 people found this helpful
on 19 March 2014
After hearing a snip of this music on a TV clip I had to find out who this artist was. After listening to samples on Amazon I purchased both current albums and I can honestly say that this has to be one of my best purchases ever! There is something unique and very special about Agnes Obel. Yes, some of the music can be dark and mysterious, but beautiful at the same time. I love every track and am currently playing over and over really taking in the pure genius of Agnes, she is a very talented musician and composer with the voice of an angel. The cello player is also very talented and her voice harmonises well with Agnes' to produce a warm, rich, full and unique vocal that fills the room. I can't recommend this music enough, see the other reviews also, this should be on everyone's bucket list!
2 people found this helpful
on 22 December 2011
If you like Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles, then there's a very good chance you'll like this... especially if you really like the the background arrangement of cellos and what-not.
Also, if you like Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel, in particular the haromonies, there's a good chance you'll like this)

Also it's unusual to get an album where there is not one song you don't like.

Agnes Obel uses voice(s), Cello (I think), Piano and the odd instrument on other tracks (e.g. Accordion on the live version of Louretta) to creat a sound which is both lush and spare at the same time. There is some kind of subtle percussion on some tracks, but it's so understated, I could not even tell you what it is.

If you like plenty of screeching a la Alanis Morrisette... then look elsewhere. Personally, I like a little bit of discord now and then, e.g. Tori Amos - Space Dogs (in fact if you like her singing Horses, there's a good chance...).

Agnes and her backers have the confidence to sing in a really laid back and melllow way, on some of the songs it almost sounds lazy. For instance on Over the Hill she just sighs out some of the words - and it's just right. I think that I'd say that the vocals are understated, rather than restrained.

Be sure to get the Deluxe version which has an extra CD with live versions and some songs which are not on the Studio CD. It is worth it for Sons and Daughters alone, and the live Louretta is just brilliant. BTW, none of the tracks on the extra CD are duds either.

The live production is just as good as the very good studio production. You only know it's live from the applause at the end.

Enough chat: have a listen on Spottify, or search up tv 5 monde and have a look a the music to see her perform a few songs live. If you like 'em you'll like the lot.

My favourites are Studio CD: Riverside, Beast, Avenue (when the chorus kicks (Foolish...) in, it gives me the same warm feeling as when the main instrumentation kicks in U2's Ultraviolet), Close Watch, Over the Hill, On Powdered Ground; Extra CD: Katie Cruel, Sons & Daughters, Louretta, the instrumental Riverside is very good too - a new twist on the original. I really like the vocal one, but think it could easily be over-played. There is a trip-hop remix of Riverside on the EP, which I will probably buy at some time.
on 10 February 2016
Agnes Obel is just simply fantastic, for simple music to relax to this is my go to. The harmonies are dark and interesting enough to keep me going - which is good. I find myself playing her music on my piano and thoroughly enjoying it. The combination of piano, vocals, cello is just such a beautiful sound... I think it's my favourite :)
I found this whilst searching for modal pieces on youtube.... my only criticism of this artist is that the track I found 'Dorian' isn't in Dorian mode... I think that's just false advertising myself!!
on 21 May 2018
I was recommended this and my daughter loves it too and now sings all her songs, she even did a presentation on Agnes. I love the fact that it is very easy listening music, any time any place.
on 5 May 2017
Wow i was pointed in this direction many many moons ago. now to have it on vinyl really opens it up...
AMAZING
on 12 June 2012
I came upon this album purely by chance when looking up some other music on Youtube. I played one (Katie Cruel) track and was hooked. So, having played nearly all the tracks available on Youtube I knew I had to have the album. And I wasn't disappointed. If you want to drift away to a far away place, there is no better album to do it to than this one. Her dreamy vocals and exquisite piano playing are divine. Don't get me wrong, this is not an album for driving to. Instead sit back, relax and get whistful.
on 21 June 2018
Totally Beautiful. Have played this to death since I bought it for my wife. Each track is a little Gem. Her voice is soft and soulful and the music is lovely. I will be gathering her other albums in due course
on 15 May 2014
Very, very beautiful. I try not to listen to my cd too much so as not to risk spoiling the treat. What a talent, singing, playing the keyboard and producing. Especially powerful to listen to when driving at night along dark Cornish lanes.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 January 2018
Her simple melodies and sweet vocals make this a beautiful album to cherish