on 25 June 2011
I'm often traveling for 6hrs + so I've been on the lookout for some great cans to really enjoy music, that are robust and comfortable.

Research: After many days research on the net and in shops the Monster Beats seemed the best option so I bought a set of HD Solos. Absolutely amazing sound but could only wear them for half and hour at a time before my ears were in such pain I had to let them rest for a while. I have largish ears I guess that stick out a bit so the Beats clamp my ears to my head as they are ON the ear rather then AROUND the ear. I also found that for the high price I was constantly worried I might knock them or drop them and wasn't comfortable when I had them lying around somewhere out of my sight. I also read in several reviews they snap easilly from over stretching them so I whenever I put them on I had to make sure I did so carefully and gently. After a few days of bearing with earache as I couldn't stop listening to the amazing music quality, I decided to look for something else. I considered the Monster Beats Pro editions, which bigger, more robust, even better sounding and... loads more expensive. I still really want them but the price puts me off.

Comparison: I came accross these JVC Extreme Explosives over ear headphones, strangely I could only find one review on the net after a long time searching which didn't say much but did mention they were equal in bass to the Monster Beats, this got me excited. I ordered them and when they arrived I was immidiately impressed by the feel. They are rather large but then they do produce a rather large sound. Of course I immidiately compared them to my Monster Beats listening several bass heavy songs and swapping between the headphones and found that on some songs the JVC XX outBassed the Beats HD Solos. On more melodic and orchestral songs I did get the slight impression you got a more overall sound with the Beats, but only slightly. Though it was very song dependent as sometimes some Highs were clearer again on the JVC. I'm still not sure which is better so I'm calling them equal.

I own a JVC Boomblaster since 1996/7 which is just something else! I've modified my boomblaster so I can attach my ipod and it has been my pride and joy for many years, I have yet to hear another hi-fi, portable stereo that sounds better. Now the cool thing is that the JVC XX headphones cups are shaped like the boomblaster ends. Coincidence? Maybe.. but joy oh joy they have that boomblaster umph bass!

Comfort: I did an 8hr train journey yesterday and listened to the JVCs nearly the whole journey. I did take them off for a little while half way through the journey as my head got a little uncomfortable wearing them so long (4hrs+) I think it was more the weight and in generall but my ears were not sore!!

The Look: On my train journey I did find that several people kept looking at I presume my headphones. They are very large, but I have surfer style wild hair so I think I can get away with these big beasties, but I'm not sure everyone else can so they may be better suited for indoors only. If your not sure or worried bout your looks, you might be better off with the little brother of these the JVC XX 4X rather then the 5X. As these headphones are not that known I think people are rather intrigued to see what you are wearing, trying to read a label or any writing, haha.

Sound Volume: I also have the Monster Beats tour in ear headphones which I normally use on the train as I can wear them 8hrs+ non-stop and they are still comfortable. I have gone through many headphones and the Monster Beats tour have been my favourite as I can mainly comfortably listen to them for hours but I can also listen to them on a very low sound volume around 30%. Meaning my Ipod battery lasts longer, as does the hearing of my ears. Strangely the JVC XXs I can listen to nicely even lower at about 25% volume.

Noice Cancellation: The JVC XXs may not have noice cancellation build in like many Bose and Sennheiser, but I don't like the idea of needing to take extra batteries, as the silly thing is when the batteries run out you can't use the headphones. I ended up using the JVC XXs over my Monster Beat tour in ears as the JVCs drowned out more of the train noice and I could listen to them at a lower volume.
There is a mention on the internet that the JVC XXs leak sound? I don't think they do, In a very quiet room you can hear them very faintly, but on the train I had to put them so loud that it hurt my ears before someone else could hear.

Build: They don't look as shiny and high quality as the Monster Beats do, but then they are far more rugged and robust. I can safely toss these in my bag without worrying about scratching the £200 glossy finish the Beats have.

So all in all then, I am very impressed with these Headphones, they are equal to monster beats in MY oppinion at a 3rd of the price or less.

PROS:
- Great overall sound (from Gothic Metal to R&B, Dance, Pop to accoustic, classical)
- Robust build
- Big comfortable round the ear earcups
- Pro or for some a Con, not as well known, i.e. you don't see everyone else wearing the same.

CONS:
- Con for some may be the size, I have the 50mm (JVC HA-M5X) which on some may look a bit too big on your head, but the 40mm (JVC HA-S4X) smaller version would then be better.
- These don't fold, like many other over the ear headphones do. I think it is a Pro personally as the joints on these folds wear over time making them all loose and flimsy.
2323 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2011
The Earphones are so good you can really feel the bass, i am a hearphone maniac and i have loads of different earphones of all different ranges, some people are really bothered about earphone range but you got to remember the human ear can only hear around 10hz-20khz so this beats that by miles, so your headphones (if you have these) wont just be blasting out good tunes but also notes you cant hear...witch is really cool he he !
The quality of the build is great! you can really feel the 50mm driver, the bass kicks you in the face (in a good way)
The postage came very quick
The only thing i found a problem was it took my about 10 mins just to open the plastic packaging to get to the earphones but it wasnt that hard ;)

overall if your looking to get these headphones i say get them, your missing out of you dont, you wont find headphones this good for the same price! :D

ALSO: The look of them is rugged and very hardcore ;)
on 14 September 2011
First off, these headphones are on the larger side. So large in fact that you do very often get strange looks from passers by but DO NOT let this put you off.
These headphones are robust, sound fantastic and are extremely comfortable (even if your ears do feel as if they are in a sauna when the weather's on the warm side!).
I has some bad experiences with Sennheiser headphones and them constantly having to be replaced so took a punt on these and have not looked back. It was a punt as I could not find any reviews on these anywhere (except the one on here) and I'm not sure why this is as these are impressive.
In summary if you are looking for some reasonably priced, great sounding and comfortable (if slightly large) headphones these are definitely worth a go.
on 17 August 2012
these headphones are very good for the value, using them atm to listen to d&b and they provide great definition and clarity of sound, they are serving me well for other genres also for they seem up to most jobs, a little clunky and bulky but the build quality seems sound, overall a good set of headphones for the price and way better than the logik ones i previously owned. they are comfortable to start with but after a few hours my ears get sore and i have to take a short break to let them cool down but again this is a minor flaw in a good overall product
on 5 December 2011
I received these Headphones for a few days and so far everything is really good. The bass sounds are very low and punchy and gives your music a new lease of life (although I'm no audiophile!). The build quality is fantastic, it is strong and sturdy. The leather pads are extremely comfortable and you can listen with them for long periods of time. All in all I really highly rate this product, especially at this price it really is a bargain.
on 14 January 2016
Wow i bought these in 2012.
2 years of abuse later they finally fail and fall silent.
Failure was due to cable damage from repeated tugs/strains/getting caught in doors and on door handles.

Using an Android phone with custom EQ along with.
Voodoo sound app:
+12db Bass boost
+5db Headphone amp
+5 Volume limit

>Great bass.
>Excellent build quality.
>Comfortable to wear.
>Hard to break from drops.
>Keep your ears warm in winter
>Blocks out a majority of back ground noise

After bought these I tried Beats by Dre and they were just "louder" lacking in the Bass the JVC Xtreme 50mm has (same EQ/Voodoo settings) these headphones truly are the best for DnB and Dubstep absolutely beastly with your own custom setting on the EQ for face shaking Bass.
on 18 March 2015
I have had these headphones for very close to two years now and they still work a treat.The only problem I have had with them the entire time is that after what I wouldn't consider a long session of using them, my ears start to feel uncomfortable as the headphones do feel a little tight.

Sound quality however is excellent a long with the build quality.
on 22 May 2015
Ideal set of cans for anyone who loves music and even more loves to be immersed in their music.

Has great ranges right the way from powerful baselines to intricate treble right out of the box.

Have also used these for gaming when I first got them a few years ago. One of the few sets of headphones I've actually liked enough to stick with.

Only negative is that they are quite chunky - maybe not so ideal for walking down the street with everyday.
on 13 December 2014
Wow i bought these in 2012.
2 years of abuse later they finally fail and fall silent.

Using an Android phone with custom EQ along with.
Voodoo sound app:
+12db Bass boost
+5db Headphone amp
+5 Volume limit

>Great bass.
>Excellent build quality.
>Comfortable to wear.
>Hard to break from drops.
>Keep your ears warm in winter
>Blocks out a majority of back ground noise

If you buy these and don't customize the Equalizer settings on your phone/mp3 player or use an amp or amp software you are missing out.
on 29 December 2011
Hi everyone,

I have just received my pair and I must say I am more than impressed.
I compared them to my friend's Sennheiser and I consider they have at least the same quality, but with improved bass, at a lower price.

For the moment I can't report any Cons.

Also, exceptional service from Amazon. Arrived in 4 working days in Romania :)

Cheers.