on 28 August 2011
Am a big fan of this author. His novels are cracking reads, his technical books are very instructive and the accounts of the Volvo races are in a class of their own. This latest book follows in the steps of the latter genre and is up to the standard you expect- it will satisfy both the layman and enthusiast.
Only complaint I have is that it is too short- I'm sure he has lots more tales like these- maybe they will be in volume 2
on 2 August 2013
Fastnet 79 was extremely interesting, especially as it was obviously true. In reality, all five short stories are made that much more fascinating by the fact that they were all true, not so sure about the guy being lashed to the mast with flare gun in hand.
Again The Smeeton's and Cape Horn was gripping for me, I have myself been in a similar situation (though on an all together smaller scale) and as for the their yacht to get caught up in not one, but two severe storms was very careless, not to mention scary and indeed the Smeeton's, Guzzwell and the Tzu Hang (the 46' Ketch) were very lucky to come back and tell the world about it.
Being a keen sailor myself, I enjoyed reading these stories, not least as I could feel empathy for all the people involved.
The sea can be a desperate and lonely place at times...
on 19 June 2013
For starters it is too short. It barely gets started drawing you into a story when that ends and we are on to the next one. I found this irritating and a bit of a tease. Second, I am astonished that any author can get published when he does not understand the use of the apostrophe. Even in the description of the book you will see the words "the Smeeton's tried to round Cape Horn". The Smeetons (Mr. and Mrs. Smeeton) are a couple or a PLURAL if you prefer. This is repeated throughout that chapter, followed up by a reference to different boat's. Again, a plural does not [expletive deleted] require an apostrophe. Grammar and spelling are becoming lost arts and I weep for their loss. Yes, it's a free book. You get what you pay for.
on 10 September 2011
This was great fun to read and I like the author's style: clearly knowledgeable on the subject but witty and easily absorbed. Needs to be expanded into a full series of similar accounts.
on 20 August 2013
A compelling little collection of sailing stories, based on storms. The collection makes useful references to more detailed works. I read it on a boat and was a little disturbed!
on 13 July 2015
Quite a short book; the stories could perhaps be in greater depth.
However, this book led me to Chisnell's 'Fulcrum Files', which I would thoroughly recommend!
on 7 January 2012
I stumbled upon this collection of short stories quite by chance and discovered a string of seductive jems that I simply couldn't put down. Beautifully written, technically spot on, but no where near long enough. I just hope volume 2 is on its way.
on 17 January 2014
Shorts the word,it took about 10 mins to read and the supposed extra material was conspicuously absent, waste of money
on 22 February 2014
No idea if my husband ordered this but he died 20 moinths ago so I cannot give you any idea of whether he liked it.
on 3 June 2013
The short stories are well written, so even a non-sailor could understand them. Unfortunately, it could be read in a very short time, why not make a compendium of say a dozen ?