on 21 June 2011
I've been somewhat cynical in the past about owning one preferring to stick with a paper map. I thought I should get with the times and having seen a more expensive unit when a friend came around for the weekend, I decided to opt for an entry level device. The price for this Tom-Tom did not seem overly expensive.

In the box is:

the Sat Nav itself
a car charger lead [which joins to...]
a USB cable [which joins the unit itself to the charger]
a paper quick start guide

This Sat Nav can sit on a dashboard beanbag [purchased separately] if you decide to go for this. It uses a sucker which with a simple twist locks the seal. Alternatively it will attach itself to the inside of the windscreen using the same method. Out of the box and into the car then, the Sat Nav found my home position quickly after powering it up. I set this and I was up and running in five minutes tops.

The first thing to do is to find your destination and you can do this easily using a postcode or a place of interest, once it has searched for the destination, highlight it, and the machine will do the maths for the journey showing you how long it will take and details of the destination. It can also show you parking options near where you are going or if you wanted to do a trial run of the journey, you also do this and watch the proposed route.

First I gave it a local test and it found Tescos about eight miles away very easily. The display giving me adequate time to adjust lane if necessary, giving the correct number of exits on a roundabout or giving me adequate time to turn. It was here I tested the Sat Nav's ability to adjust itself when I made a mistake. It recalculated a different route very quickly without fuss.

I discovered by playing with the unit whilst parked up that there are a number of voice options to try as well. There are a number of English female or male voices to choose from however, only one English female voice will tell you the name of the road you are turning into or approaching. The rest will just say "turn right" or "turn left" when you need to.

I took it on a more sophisticated journey to London NW5 at around 3pm on a Thursday and it coped well on the A40 into central London. This would have been normally a slightly fraught journey as I am unfamiliar with driving in the city, but I came through well particulary at junctions. This is because the display shows [with a quivering yellow arrow symbol] which lane to get into in good time, and I wasn't left with that awful feeling of other drivers staring me down because of my hesitation in choosing the correct place to be.

The unit will beep if you are within range of a speed camera. This is a distracting noise but can easily be turned off along with a number of other alerts by removing a tick from a list under the settings menu.

The journey back to my house in Hertfordshire from NW5 after midnight early Friday morning was quite simply executed. I switched the Sat Nav to night mode so the screen was illuminated more clearly, set the desination to Home and off I went. Initially, it did try to make me turn right where I couldn't, but I insisted and the journey was quickly rerouted towards the M1.

I rate this Sat Nav highly for someone who wants a simple starter unit.
66 Comments| 712 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2011
Received this very fast with Amazon Prime. It was on special offer with a free carrying case, which arrived at the same time, however, the Sat Nav is small, slim and light and the carrying case is HUGE! So I won't be using it, as it is too big for glove box. I am pleased with the Sat Nav, especially the integrated holder with suction pad, as previously I had an XL Live and it had a snap on, snap off holder which was a pain. I like the spoken street names, but find the menu not so easy to use as the XL. I also like the fact that there is an option to enter your location straight into favourites. The integrated holder is much better than the XL, which kept dropping off the windscreen.

Update December 2011, have now had this Tom Tom for 2 months and I am getting frustrated that it takes ages to locate the satellite signal. As I am now out of the 30 day window for returning items to Amazon, I have to contact Tom Tom. Will update this when I hear from them.
on 2 February 2014
I needed a new sat nav for work and after much research brought this one. It does the job and is easy to use if your best nav friendly. But the really annoying feature is at every speed camera it has is you if it still exsists. If you press no it doesn't delete it from the memory bank and asks you every damned time you pass the camera again.

It gets me from A to B, but I wish it was less irritating!
on 22 October 2017
i lost it
on 30 July 2017
Scratch on screen volume too low very disappointed 😞
on 6 November 2012
Got this because Tomtom advised me that it would work with the athermic glass in my Audi A8, my previous cheapo did not, neither did this one. Thanks Tomtom.
Tomtom trumpet fast GPS acquisition. Not so. In fact far worse than my cheapo.
Cannot save routes like my cheapo. So you have to reinput all the "go via bits" each time. It may just be that you need to visit relatives and so on. Do Tomtom not understand this?
IQ routes worked quite well. This draws on a database of the speed of routes at different times of the day to give a route appropriate to rush hour traffic.
By far the worst thing is that my unit only lasted two years before expiring and a "reconditioned" unit will be provided for £60 with only a six month guarentee!
Given the number of sites that talk about how you can reset your Tomtom when it expires I suspect that build quality is a major problem. In fact the guy at customer services said you can only expect such devices to last two years. What? for £120 in my case.
Sorry mate. I cannot accept that. There were also other problems when the unit stopped getting a GPS fix and that required a software update. No fun if you are on a 200 mile journey. I now always have a paper map with me. Could we all have been sent an email advising us of this problem in advance?
I am going Garmin this time. I do not expect shoddy build quality at a premium price.I suspect like so many others Tomtom have tried to save on build costs by going third world. This is not a light bulb Tom tom.
on 15 July 2011
Bought this to replace a version several years older in the belief that the mapping would be right up to date and positioning sharper. I did check on the TomTom website (difficult to use in 64 bit until discovered OK opened with Google Chrome) to make sure maps were up-to-date. The unit takes longer to register satellites than the old, loses signal more easily, and my recent trip across southern Ireland was amusing as many parts of the main N25 / E30 are still set where they were at least three years ago and satnav placed me driving across a lot of fields! Despite the `faux sample screen' shown, the maps and lane advice have changed very little and in RoI were often wrong. On the plus side the new unit is easier to store and attach in use.
on 22 April 2012
For the first four months, my TomTom Start20 worked well, and was a pleasure to use. However, since the widely-publicised problems with GPS updates the device has been totally worthless.

Like many other users, our Start20 now seems totally unable to reliably acquire GPS signals, so it cannot get vehicle location even after 15 minutes or more. This makes it useless as a navigation device. Despite TomTom attempting to provide recent software updates that fix these problems, our Start20 claims that it is up-to-date with software that dates from over a year ago. I have wasted far more time trying to get those software updates to work from multiple different PCs than I am ever likely to have saved by having a working satnav.

Given these problems with pretty basic functionality and critical software updates, I'd now be reluctant to ever buy another product from TomTom.
on 31 October 2016
bought for someone else
on 4 December 2011
The device itself does "exactly what it says on the tin" and I am very satisfied and pleased with the results. However, there is no meaningful instruction book included in the package, although an adequate manual is available for free download from TomTom and there are other problems as noted below.

The internal battery only lasts a short time before it requires recharging. This is not a problem when the device is used with a permanent connection to a vehicle battery. However, trying to use it on a bicycle or on foot would be very unsatisfactory, except for the shortest of trips.

The user is invited to go to "TomTom Home" in order to download the manual and the necessary software to enable download of latest maps and operating system updates. THIS IS INCORRECT. It is necessary to go to "My TomTom" to obtain the correct manual and software. The facilities available from "My TomTom" are limited to map and system download only. There is no way to backup your existing system or to use a connected computer to perform other tasks.

At the Amazon offer price, the device represents reasonable value for money but accessories are ridiculously overpriced for what they are. A mains charger is not included in the package although the device does come with a charger designed to plug into a car cigarette lighter.