on 12 December 2011
I have just re-emerged back into the real world having been trapped up in my bedroom with this book superglued to my hand for the last 200 pages! Brilliant stuff!!

Only just missed out on 5 stars for me but for reasons I can't say, as too give anything away in crime fiction is..well a crime.

What I loved was the setting, the story, the personalities and that it avoided so many of the crime cliches. This is not a story of a maverick detective who though he solves a complex murder case every 6 months is loathed by his boss! Nor is it the story of a lone detective that everyone things is a crackpot because he follows his instinct rather than an obvious trail of clues.

No this is a story about a highly professional kriminalhauptkommissar (you've got to love that title!) who leads an expert team of police men and women through a highly complex case which seems to somehow link serial murder, right wing politics, corruption and gangland organised crime. What is going on out there? Read it find out I doubt you will be disappointed!

If like me me, you are coming to this series after Russel's other series of Glasgow based thrillers (Lennox) this is very different in feel. More complex and serious and set in comtempory Munich rather than the 50's. But If you have enjoyed Lennox or perhaps Kerr's Bernie Gunther stories I think you also like these.

I am feeling chuffed because I pretty much bought the enitre series in one job lot! I am tempted to lock myself in a room with them and just give Christmas a miss this year!
on 27 March 2018
Best book I've in a while. Intelligent, superbly paced and not a little gory, Jan Fabel has quickly become a firm favourite of mine. The German setting was a refreshing change and the mythology and history integral to the plot added real depth to the plot.
on 11 June 2018
Real page Turner, which kept you enthralled to the very end. I'm already reading book two in the series.
on 14 March 2009
Though this book is the first in the Jan Fable series of novels I read this after I had read the second book of the series "Brother Grimm". It's fortunate that I had, as I feel that "Blood Eagle" though a very good book sometimes lacks development in the themes and characters surrounding the main plot this can occassionaly point to an inevitable ending.

However having read two other books in the series I would emplore you to read this novel and the rest in the series as the characters and ideas explored are engrossing and the interactions between the primary characters are incredibly detailed drawing you into totally enthralling world of thrilling mystery. "Blood Eagle" is an essential component to this experience and lays the foundations for a fantastic series of novels.
11 people found this helpful
on 24 March 2014
This book was chosen since I had read aanother by the same author. The story is a bit tpp slow, and therefore, gets rather uninteresting in the long run. It is anyhow one among the better detective novels I have read.
on 11 November 2015
Well written book about crime. In a different country. And the politics of foreign police force
on 27 January 2015
Great story although I regularly skipped the various references to the ranks of the police officers which were German. Otherwise excellent.
on 9 May 2013
If the dective murder genre is your bag then Jan Fabel, set in Hamburg, is a must read. It's worth googling to find out the chronology of the series and start at the beginning. I'm hooked and on the last of the series. Please keep going Craig. Russell's 'Lennox' series, set in post WW11 Glasgow, is also well worth reading.
One person found this helpful
on 4 August 2016
excellent product and service
on 2 October 2015
Cracking good story, lots of gore, lovely!