on 30 April 2017
A great piece of kit, ideal for what I need it for! Windows 10 Professional pre installed. Decent sized hard drive, with USB Ports!!
on 19 August 2011
I bought this laptop from Amazon after realising that it was the cheapest on the net, I still wonder why the colours make any difference in the price ! but there you go, seems to be a trend with everything you buy these days, Nintendo DSi, Mobile Phones Etc... First of all I have to say this computer is a piece of artwork, I read hundreds of reviews given the fact I was spending over £400 I wanted it to be perfect for the money I was laying out.
Is it better than an Ipad ? Yes and on many fronts, it has 2 USB's, Ipad has none, It has a Flash Player Ipad does not, it has no restrictions on Bluetooth, Ipad needs Applications downloading to avoid problems with bluetooth and then its not always straight forward, Ipads are only at the maximum 64GB where as i have 320GB a vast difference.
I dont have a downer on Apple products either before you think this but i did have to compare this computer to something Tablet based to see if it was worth the money as as this is £200 cheaper than the cheapest Ipad you have to see where i'm going. the Dell Duo performs great, the switch between laptop and tablet is very smooth and the side screen magnets react very well holding the screen in place tightly, the quality of the screen is excellent, Battery life runs at about 3 and a half hours which is plenty between charges which surprisingly does not take long to charge the unit back up to full.
the keyboard is a pleasure with the keys having plenty of space between them, the touchscreen is very easy to use and works well. i have tried to find fault with this laptop but just cant. ok you could argue there isnt a memory card reader but that is being picky because you could always get a USB memory stick instead, you could argue there is no ethernet port but almost everything is wireless internet these days and if you want an ethernet port you should buy the docking station for the dell duo which has a ethernet port, an extra USB port, a memory card reader and a mic in port.
All in all this is a brilliant computer and probably the best computer Dell have ever released.
is it worth the money ? too right it is.
11 Comment| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 November 2011
Against the recommendations of all the reviews, I purchased this machine and have found it to be one of the best buys (in-terms of computing) that I have made.

The reviews mentioned that this machine is slow and not very practical as a tablet. Firstly it is not a tablet it is a Netbook with tablet capabilities. I personally do not use the tablet functions and have disabled them, finding the windows home premium functionality and add-on programs more than sufficient for my purposes. Most of my interaction is done with the screen in tablet mode but with windows running as primary, giving me access to I-tunes, VCL and networking with my 17".

The product itself is very robust and feels solid in the hand but caution should be taken with flipping the screen, I do not think it will give a problem but better safe than sorry.

Windows 7 home premium runs like a dream and does not delay much more than my quad core, however, this is only when one is cautious not to load and run too many programs at once. It is a Netbook after all and should be treated as a fast Netbook and not a laptop. Launching tablet mode is slower than other tablet machines but much quicker than loading normal windows based programs and the 0.5 second delay is more than acceptable.

The key to this machine is to remove the Dell `bloatware', turn off most of the start-up programs, turn off the add-ons for explorer and the machine runs like a dream with `boot up' being quicker than my quad core. Also, it is not an Ipad and will never be but it is not meant to be one, as a tablet it is heavy and bulky but it is not a tablet but a netbook with a flip down screen. I have read a some reviews recommending an ipad and all I can say is; if you want an ipad and be willing to have the restrictions imposed but have it fulfil your requirements then get one, it is a great machine, but do not confuse the products as being in the same category or for the same market. This is a windows based machine, functions incredibly well and is absolutely quick considering it is a single core atom (N550 being one of the best atm).

Battery life is not the greatest but power comes at a price and four to five hours is quite acceptable, by my standards. The screen is crystal clear but does have a limitation being reflective and viewing angles are not that great, I have found that getting used to it and using it accordingly a minor inconvenience. Speed for a netbook is incredible and should not be compared to a tablet, laptops or desktops (If you can believe that some reviews actually do compare to desktops), but configuration is required and the removal of `bloatware' and startup programs' is required for best results. The 34bit windows is great and interacts with my 64bit laptop with few issues in remote control and with networking. The lack of an Ethernet port is an issue but not a serious one in today's day and age where most places, friends, etc have wireless.

My recommendation is to buy this product and enjoy it for what it is, and it is all that and more.
on 21 August 2011
Wanted a netbook for a while checked reviews and finally saw this item. Really like the concept of flip screen which is nice in action. Handles everything i want to do. pros nice size sharp picture wifi bluetooth g.senser win 7 . Cons windows 7 not suited to touch screen ( however if you make screen resolution 125% it become easier to use ).Battery life about 3 hours so not as good as others . Love this item.
on 13 November 2013
Works great as a tablet and as just your regular netbook. The touch screen isn't as responsive as your iPads or other high end tablets but I was not too disappointed as I was not expecting the touch screen to be mind blowing.

I've been using it for over two years now and the battery performance is almost as good as it was when I first bought it.

It's good for those who like the tablet/netbook feel. The only downside to this netbook is it is slightly bulky compared to other netbooks but overall it I am very happy with it.
on 6 January 2012
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I recommend this if you want a good quality and smart notebook. There are obviously a few downsides to it. One of the main problems is that the battery does not last very long. Second problem would have to be the lack of ports on the laptop. There are only 2 USB ports and a headphone inlet along with the power inlet. But the simple option is to just buy a dell duo docking station which costs about £100. The screen has a very high resolution and the keyboard is very easy to type on. Over all I think this is a very very good laptop.
on 1 September 2012
I bought an Inspiron Duo 14 months ago and although I was happy with it for a while it turned out to be the worst investment I ever made and I now just gave up on this machine. Like several people I wanted to have a good combination between a laptop and a tablet. First, as I said I was quite happy. Tablet is not comparable to other tablets. It's slow, not very precise and when the machine heats up the magnetometer stops working very often. However, I didn't mind, since you expect drawbacks from a combination.
However, a weak point appears to be overall quality (in my case), especially the hard disc and its "free fall" protection. As with every tablet, one can wait until you drop it and one expects that it can withstand this. However, my harddisc gave up on me when my iPhone fell from ~30 centimeter height on the tablet (the tablet itslef was fine though...). So I got a new harddisc, just to find out that the keyboard is also not reacting properly anymore. I got that repaired as well and now there appears to be something wrong with the processor/motherboard, since it constantly crashes. All this after a minor incident one expects to happen during normal usage.
All in all I invested another 150£ in repairs and I finally gave up on this machine.
In summary I can only suggest to buy a proper tablet and an external keyboard. Comes cheaper and you will have more fun with it.
The performance of the laptop itself doesn't compare to similar machines either.
So I cannot recommend this machine at all, especially since customer service from Dell turns out to be not very forthcoming either....
on 7 July 2011
A great laptop as many other reviews will say!

I looked on the Dell site - it was more - I went onto on-line chat on Dell.

I asked why the same product was cheaper on Amazon than from Dell itself.

Dell told me that there was nothing they could do about that.

I asked Dell who I should but from, dell or Amazon - Amazon being about £30 cheaper.

Dell would not comment, so I bough from Amazon !
22 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2014
not enough usb
bad starter laptop
to small of a keyboard
on 18 February 2012
Its a great piece of kit, works well in both modes can't wait to get audio station to go with it :)