Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 21 July 2016
Engrossing and beautifully written. I felt the characters were wonderfully well drawn and I could really sense them. I didn't want the book to end. The stories, told from each character's perspective, give a complete narrative, which was incredibly effective. I haven't read a book that I've loved so much in so long.
on 1 June 2011
I don't know why i bought this book other than it sounded good! But it really isn't.

I got to chapter 3 and couldn't go on anymore - maybe I need to read it in it's entirety to appreicate it but honestly, life is too short!

From what I can gather, it is a little snapshot of someone's life at the given time of this newspapers life in Rome. Just when you start to think that you would like to know more about why this person is as they are the chapter finishes and it goes onto someone else without ever returning to them again!

The reviewer who said that if you are interested in human nature then this is the book for you is so wrong. If you are interested in human nature then you do not want just a few pages about the particular human. You want a more indepth examination not a shallow puddle!

All in all a disappointing read and one that I cannot bring myself to finish.
on 29 September 2011
I can only say I'm amazed to read these mixed reviews. I found The Imperfectionists funny, true, captivating and in a couple of the linked stories, heart-wrenching.

Deservedly nominated by the New York Times Book Review as one of the outstanding novels of the past year.
on 16 November 2011
The Imperfectionists
I am really enjoying this book. It is beautifully written, it's funny and portrays the miseries of a newsroom to a tee. You'll love it if you are a journalist - at least one of the characters in the book will remind you of a colleague? If you are not a journalist, you"ll enjoy its wittiness, style and grip. Go buy it!
on 10 January 2013
The story centres around the lives of a group of expatriates working for a slowly-failing international English-language newspaper based in Rome.

Each chapter relates an event in the personal lives of the people employed on the newspaper. Some are tragic, and some I found hysterically funny, particularly the frightful fate of naïf Winston Cheung, the would-be Cairo stringer competing for the job with one of the most obnoxious fictional characters ever created, Rich Snyder.

Corrections Editor Herman Cohen is the stereotypical grammar and spelling nazi, with his "Bible" of grammatical correctness, now too large to exist in a printed version as the text would cover the size of metropolitan Liechtenstein. I was rather confused by Herman and his friend Jimmy. Both Jewish, they shared a mutual love of fried pork kidneys.

Reader Ornella has some kind of mental disorder that compels her to read every word of every newspaper. As it takes several days to complete a single edition, she's now decades behind, and in the 1990s is still reading newspapers from the 1970s.

Abbey Pinnola, the Chief Financial Officer, finds herself seated on a long-haul flight next to a man she has just sacked from the paper. Their relationship develops in a most unexpected direction.

I enjoyed the humour and found the characters believable. My only disappointment is that I'd have liked to have followed their lives just a little longer, as some of them rather fell off a cliff.
on 30 September 2012
Like other reviewers, I'd seen this book well reviewed - and quite heavily pushed on Amazon as something I'd like, so I got a sample... and hated it. The idea of reading a book based on the character(s) in the the sample left me cold... but I'd rather missed the point.

The real main character of the book is the international American newspaper based in Rome, chugging along over a handful of decades, providing insights into the lives of the people connected to it - publishers, editors, writers, readers - and their passions, their triumphs and their failings.

This is an immensely human novel, told from multiple characters' points of view, that coalesces into a moving story of our imperfect reading of other people's motivations. I was, in the end, sad to finish it. A grower, for me.
on 1 October 2010
When I finished David Nicholls' wonderful "One Day" I couldn't find a book that I wanted to read. This isn't much like "One Day", but it's contemporary, fascinating, the stories intersect and there is a similarly pointless death that left me spitting with rage. Why do authors do this to their readers?! I am also furious that "The Imperfectionists" didn't get properly Booker listed as it's a great book with a big sweep - the death of journalism as we used to know it in a glam city. Enjoy.
on 15 April 2012
I bought this book out of curiosity and from the very favourable reviews it got from the NYT. The first few chapters were so dull, particularly the writing style I concluded that the author must have known the features editors in the various newspapers to earn such good reviews. There is nothing engaging or funny about this book and I particularly hated the references to Rome, the food, the wine etc. I finished it as I always finish books but I picked it up with great reluctance each time. In its favour it's an easy read so you can finish it quickly.
on 12 January 2012
Misogynistic, unfunny, bland, predictable...but eminently readable. I had trouble putting this collection of intertwined stories down, but once I did I knew instantly that I disliked it a great deal. The one vignette I enjoyed - about a woman who reads newspapers cover to cover, and thus finds herself several years behind the real world - was first seen in a play in the 19th century! Scoop's reign as the king of newspaper literature remains unthreatened.
on 16 August 2011
I love reading and, because I enjoy the experience so much, I find it difficult to dislike a book. But I disliked this book. I didn't care about the characters and the plot was dull. I finished this book because I'm stubborn, but I wish I hadn't.

I'm pleased to see other Amazon readers that feel the same way as me. I was starting to lose faith in the Amazon rating system but I do believe that this book deserves nothing more than the 3star average rating it currently has, and I would obviously rate it even lower. There are better books to spend your time on.