Price:£1.89+ Free shipping

I read elsewhere that there is a tendency for the joining area of the wooden handle to char, but now I have used this item I'd say that if you use it on a very low heat then this will not be a problem. Most clay tagines as used in Morocco do need a diffuser for hob-top cooking because they require a low gentle heat over a long period of time, and for that use this item is perfect. Your only other option, once you have water-soaked and properly conditioned your tagine pot, is to cook with it in your normal domestic oven on a very low heat and starting from a cold oven, never a pre-heated one or the clay may crack. Most tagine pots have a high funnel which does not fit comfortably in the average domestic oven, so this diffuser provides the perfect answer for the alternative of hob-top use.
It is also useful to avoid burning ring-marks inside a pan when slowly simmering a soup, for instance; this item supplies a more spread diffusion of heat. I use it on gas, I assume an electric ring will also be fine.
At the time of writing this review the price was excellent and the delivery time was extremely quick. Steve Riches, Northampton, UK.
on 12 October 2012
This item is a cheap as chips but really effective. A no frills answer to simmering without carbon! If you have a gas hob and cannot afford expensive saucepans this is an effective tools.
on 10 September 2012
good value and fits okay on my hob, some of the larger pans can be trouble some to centre right but really does make a difference on preventing the bottom of the pan burning. Not had any issues with the handle burning at all.
on 18 December 2014
I bought this as, being a bit of a coffee aficionado (if only) I wanted to make a frothy milky cappuccino at the end of the day. So, bear with me on this one.........

......To do this I use enough milk for one cup, the mount of which barely covers the bottom of a pan, so I use a small steel milk jug and then place it on top of this Simmery Ringy Thingy. As the milk jug is too small for my gas hob, this allows the jug, and hence the milk to heat up without burning, from whence I can froth it and pour it.

Works perfectly has to be said, so far at any rate.

Interesting though, on the plastic cover it's wrapped in it states...

" Makes a double boiler out of every pan when cooking "...... really ? how ? I'll admit to being 101% puzzled by that one !!

On the whole, seems to do as it says on the tin...
review image
on 21 September 2012
Had one of these from a market stall years ago but it eventually got rusty and unsightly. Searched everywhere to replace it until we found this on Amazon. Cheap and perfect for simmering and making delicate sauces. We will never need to hang on to a rusty one again!
on 4 July 2012
This diffusing ring is cheap but does the job brilliantly. I can now simmer my casseroles without burning the contents & the pan.
It's cheap, looks the same as all the rest under a tenner, so I went for two of these, the cheapest on offer. As expected they discoloured as soon as used, the wooden handles started to burn and one that was left wet started to rust. But at £1.50 including postage they are disposable - not an investment. They will work fine I expect for a month or so and then I'll get some more.
on 6 June 2016
I love these they don't last forever so need replacing every year or two, but they're cheap enough so its no big deal, it just seems a bit wasteful..
But brilliant for simmering soups, stews, sauces etc. When you need a really really low heat. Smells a bit the first few times you use it and discolours straight away, my handle is also quite scorched too haha, but all no big deal.
I use this on the smallest gas ring on the lowest setting and it simmers away my bolognaises, chillis, curries, sauces all quite happily without any sticking.
The gas equivalent to a slow cooker I guess. for a quid or so it really is a kitchen essential.
on 6 February 2015
Bought this as I discovered I needed a simmer ring to go with the tagine I had for Christmas. Was pleasantly surprised to discover that the one with the most favourable feedback was also the cheapest. It arrived promptly, three or four days after I ordered it and I have now used it several times. I followed the washing instructions before use to get rid of dust that might smoulder/burn and I make sure the wooden handle is away from the supports on the gas hob so as not to get burnt. The ring works perfectly in providing a gentle, dispersed heat and protecting my tagine (which I am also really impress with). A good buy.
on 5 July 2016
I suppose in essence it does what it's meant to and that is preventing your pan from burning. However this is probably because you have to have your hob turned low and wait about three times as long as what you normal would to cook your food. The handle has also caught fire a couple of times so wouldn't recommend leaving it unsupervised.