TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 April 2015
I am currently rediscovering bands that I once loved, and now, I care a lot more for Avenged Sevenfold's fourth album than I did at the time. This self-titled eponymous record contains a variety of styles, but whatever they do, they do well, not to mention know how to play the hell out of their instruments. Being a self produced album, these guys were allowed to be more experimental, and obviously sound different, but the solid guitar work and impressive vocals remain ever present.

The second single 'Scream' is heavy metal highlight (just listen to that opening!), but the biggest surprise comes at the end of the album with the final track, 'Dear God', which will possibly appeal to those who have never cared for Avenged Sevenfold's angry, 'in-your-face' music before. This country-flavoured song is beautiful, very different, and despite it being a far from obvious track for these men to sing, is actually my favourite of the lot.

For a more commercial sounding Avenged Sevenfold, this is the album you should buy. Turn up the volume, and enjoy it!
on 23 May 2011
I adore this album... and Scream is worth the price of the album on its own! To play this in the car with the volume so high you can feel the bass reverberating through your seat, and the genius of Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan throughout the album (which he sadly couldn't do on Nightmare because of his untimely death), it's sheer heaven!

I will admit to not liking A7X two early albums as I hate the whole "screaming" thing and I'm glad that they detoured and changed their musical style as I would hate to think how boring my music library would be otherwise, lol. Some albums seem to get stale with repeated listening, but A7X only seem to get better, it's almost as if each track seems to become a friend that upon hearing makes you smile and relax.

If you love "Nightmare" you will love this... Scream, Afterlife, So Easy, A Little Piece of Heaven (which has a hysterical video if you check out youtube) and Dear God, not to mention five other excellent tracks as well, like Gunslinger that starts off as a deceptive ballad and then throws in a massive surprise a third of the way in!

The more you listen the more you hear, so crank up the volume and enjoy :o)
2 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2015
One of my favourite A7x albums On vinyl yay I was a little bit disappointed about the level of distortion there seemed to be though there was like distortion in the distortion in the guitars which was just a bit weird really but hey ho :D
on 21 December 2012
This is such an awesome album. It was my favourite A7X album for a while but now I love them all so much it is hard to pick. There are some great tracks on this album - in fact they are all awesome but I particularly love the fun and progressive lyrics of Little Piece of Heaven. You've got to watch the video for that track too - so funny!
on 1 February 2011
this is their best album hands down
+critical aclaim(a worthy album)
+after life(must play solo)
+almost easy (to buy in seconds)
+GUNS-linger(a song to prove the greatest singer ever)(listen to the yeah part)
+bromptom cocktail
+lost
+a little peice of heaven (the holy s+it what a love story song)
+dear god (this is the greatest album ever)
on 13 January 2018
👍👍👍💕💕💕
on 13 December 2014
More refined than the earlier efforts without the commerciality of 'hail to the king'. I've been impressed with this band since only recently discovering them on 'team rock' radio (no affiliation). Good, solid heavy metal with intricate guitar work, powerful vocal styles and tempo changes within songs that work well. I like a bit of intelligence within a song that adds interest and a7x offer that by the bucketload.

With 10 songs totalling just over 53 minutes certainly v.f.m. What more can I say? Like 'em? buy this!
on 5 June 2017
Awesome Album, the free MP3 download is a nice addition too!
on 5 June 2014
I had the explicit version of this cd, but my son who is 6 has started to listen to them & I didn't want him picking up the bad language so ordered this, brilliant! We listen to it in the car now. It arrived within the dates I'd been given. Very happy!
on 15 August 2017