Format: Audio CD|Change

"Nine Tonight" is a mixture of R&B, rock n' roll and, well, pop, with some really catchy shout-along songs and a few good guitar and saxophone solos as well. Bob Seger was still at his peak when this album was recorded, and while some of the songs may be slight, the overall quality of this material is very high and it barely dips at all along the way.

"Nine Tonight" mixes a few hard rock tunes ("Nine Tonight", "Feel Like A Number", "Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight), three or four ballads ("Against The Wind", "We've Got Tonight", "Mainstreet"), and a good handful of mid-tempo rockers. Highlights include a great rendition of the funky "Tryin' To Live My Life Without You", the simple but melodic "You'll Accomp'ny Me", and the raunchy "The Fire Down Below", and while "Nine Tonight" may not be the most original rock album ever, it is a real good-time record, filled with good tunes, good singing, good playing and good arrangements.

The sound is very good, too, and "Nine Tonight" has a nice concert "feel" to it.
If you like Bob Seger, you'll like "Nine Tonight". And if you don't know too much about him, this is a good place to start - better than "Greatest Hits", since most of the songs have more nerve and power in this live setting.
To me, this is the best and most consistent album Seger has ever made. And yes, I have "Live Bullet" as well.
Very highly recommended!
I had this on vinyl back in the day and always loved it. Great songs played by a band who clearly knew what they doing when it came to the live arena and were at the top of their game. I'd wanted to replace it with the cd for a few years but I'd waited until it was remastered. Well, it certainly sounds good but I can't comment on whether or not it sounds better than the previous cd issue. So why has it been slightly spoiled? Well for some unknown reason they decided to edit the final track Let It Rock down from 10 minutes to six minutes so that they could fit a previously unissued extra track on there. There's nothing wrong with that track, 'Brave Strangers', it's just that it's not worth editing Let It Rock down for. It was clearly a great end to the concert and as such a great end to the album. Add to that the fact that the edit is very poor indeed and it does spoil things slightly!! If they really wanted to give us something extra then why not give us another disc and make it play like the entire concert, I'm sure the tapes are there, otherwise they'd never have found 'Brave Strangers'. But don't let that put you off if you're thinking of buying this. It's still a great live album. Just a pity they never managed to really make it big over here.
VINE VOICEon 11 September 2012
I have allways prefered Bob's Live recordings to the studio versions,you get the passion and emotion and soak up the atmosphere.This albums ROCKS and in the car sounds amazing,I don't know why Bob was'nt a bigger act in the Uk than at home.
If you don't own a Bob Seeger album then this is about the best.
PLAY IT LOUD
on 31 December 2011
I had this album on vinyl about 20 years ago. I just never got round to replacing it with a CD. Now I have it back and it is on my CD player almost constantly. There is not a bad or "filler" track on this album. Listen paricularly for the title track, and the classic rocker "Betty Lou's Gettin' Out Tonight. A great live album, from one of the greatest bands of all time.
on 20 March 2013
This guy this band are without doubt a tremendous act. I already possessed most of their stuff but nothing live. Wow this is a cracker. An absolute great recording which is testimony to a first class unit and deserving of the highest praise.
on 3 November 2015
A famous live album by BOB SEGER and a big seller in the USA. This catches BOB at his best and quite early on as he became a superstar in the USA. I had the double album but the sound quality on cds is far better. It cost me pennies at ZOVERSTOCKS so get for good ole American Rock.
on 2 December 2014
I bought it when it came out back in 1981. Today, almost thirty-five years later, I bought it again and ripped it onto i tunes. It's honest rock n' roll, and I wish there was a bar in my town which had a band playing tunes like these. Well, I can dream. The sound here is R&B with a distinct country influence at times (Fire Lake & We've Got Tonight would go down well in an enlightened Nashville bar). Yes, it's cheesy and sentimental at times, but always Bob exudes class.
on 11 March 2010
A complete break from my normal music but I absolutely love this cd. Had it recorded on tape for years needless to say I am chuffed to bits to have it on cd. Great music, great songs.
on 9 November 2010
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullets at their best. It's dated now and a bit 'cabaret' in places but I still love it. Another impulse purchase to replace lost memories.
on 30 April 2016
I loved this album when I had it on tape and after hearing a song from it on the radio it stirred me into adding it once again into my music library so really pleased wit the promptness of this seller in delivering me a first class service. Many many thanks.