on 13 February 2015
Immediately, we are transported into the grimy back streets of Birmingham and can even smell the fetid, unpleasant odours, see the rotting crumbling hovels where filth abounds and poverty reigns. This is where a young girl from the wealthy part of town, and in trouble, has chosen to escape to give birth. The harrowing account of her labour and abandonment of her newly born little girl is painful but compulsive reading.
I was intrigued to follow Mercy's life as she survived the orphanage before being stolen away to become a slave to a harsh woman with a handicapped daughter. The cruelty she suffered is unbearable, but Mercy is strong and resilient and in spite of her brutal treatment has a huge capacity to love. She escapes the slums for a supposed better life only to discover that for her own sanctity she needs to return.
Ms Murray writes with conviction and understanding of those dark and difficult times in Birmingham's history and it is clear that she has fully researched the historical facts necessary to the story. There is an authenticity in her writing, which engages all the senses. Her rich language allows us to experience the horrors and joys in Mercy's life as if we are there. Minor errors are unimportant as the story is king
on 25 May 2017
Brilliant story just couldn't put it down and was reading into the small hours, lots of twists and turn kept you interested throughout the book, I have read this author before and she never fails to deliver, look forward to reading more of hers.
on 18 June 2017
I have read many of Annie's books none of which have been a disappointment. When I started reading this one I just couldn't put it down. I love the detail she puts in and found myself embroiled in each of the character's stories without even realising it! I'm a longstanding horror reader as a rule but decided to try something different. I will certainly be reading more of Annie's books and can wholeheartedly recommend them.
on 22 October 2017
I really enjoyed this book. The tale of Mercy Hanley, set in the first world war period. The story covered class divide, how the war affected families and the associated problems of being poor during these times. The ending was predictable but what reader hoped for the long suffering Mercy. Great read.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Read a few of Annie Murray's books and never been disappointed. Always a good story which are hard to put down.

I have a few in my Kindle Library yet still to read so looking forward to these and have a few of her latest ones on my wish list.
on 16 June 2014
I loved this book the story of an orphan and her struggle through life really got me interested. There is a Birmingham background to it but although born there I would not know about the living conditions in those days in the back to back houses. The character of Mercy and all those she encountered seemed so real and I could have cried at the description of suffering in the trenches in the WW1.
on 8 July 2017
I chose this book because of the title and I've not been dissappointed . Been a great read hard to put down st times.
on 30 July 2014
Set in Birmingham around the time of WW1, this story tells the tale of Mercy who is abandoned at birth. Her life is a struggle with tragedy along the way, but there is a HEA. I loved this saga, all the characters are well drawn and you are rooting for Mercy all the way.
on 28 May 2017
This book transports you back to pre WW1 and the hardships of the poor and the wealth of the well off. The characters are all brought to life by the author, through what seems very detailed research about the period. The story telling is excellent and makes you want to read through to conclusion.
on 24 June 2017
Very good read ,never read any books by this author before but certainly will now fantastic read . Can't wait to read another