Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 30 September 2009
A new Rachel Allen book to go with the T.V. series of the same name. Though it's so much more than just a tie-in cookbook.

It's Rachel's biggest book to date, and covers all the home meals that you'd want to cook for your familys' daily meals. Breakfast, Lunch, Sunday Lunch, Supper and Desserts plus some savoury treats and lots of sweet ones too. There is even a chapter on Baby Purees, if that's where you are at.

Nicely presented with lots of recipes and pictures. Good comforting and homely home cooked food, these recipes will easily weave their way into your weekly cooking.

Here's a small taster of a few of the recipes:Zac's chicken and sweetcorn soup, crispy duck rolls, roast chicken with 5 sauces and 6 stuffing variations to choose from, creamy gratin of butternut squash, pecan and vegateble loaf, 4 risottos including red wine risotto with chorizo and peas, Mum's chicken and ham lasagne, steak and mushroom pies, date and orange syrup pudding, strawberry and white chocolate tiramisu, dark sticky gingerbread, Turkish delight, white chocolate fudge - and a whole load more!

This is Rachel's sixth cookbook, and I did wonder if she could come up with another great book, especially after Bake last year, but no worries there, it's another cracker!
33 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2009
This is a lovely book. Definitely nice enough for a gift, as it's a hardcover, and has a ribbon bookmark, beautiful pictures and pastel pages... really sweet.

The recipes are great! I've already made the sticky gingerbread and the smoked salmon and leek bake, both delicious and very easy. There is the odd oversimplistic 'recipe' in here for padding (not sure I really needed reminding how to make boiled eggs and soldiers..) but it's packed full of simple family suppers and lunches, various quick and easy pasta sauces, pies, lasagne, curries, puddings and snacks. There are big full colour photos of almost every dish, which helps you choose, and also a section of tips and hints, and some advice on baby feeding too.

Just an ideal book to reach for on a Monday morning to plan the next couple of days meals.
on 29 December 2009
I am definitely a fan of Rachel Allen - I have several of her cookbooks now and really enjoy watching her on TV. She is a such a likeable and approachable person. She does everything with ease but doesn't make it seem impossible to achieve.
I got this book for Christmas and am already eager to get going and try some of the recipes in the book. There are several different sections in the book and various pages of advice/suggestions. There really is something for everyone in this book, ranging from snacks, to picnics, to sweets to baby food! There are some new twists on old favourites and things I've never even tried before. The emphasis is definitely on home cooked food (no surprises there!) and it makes you want to do things from scratch and not have to resort to convenience food all the time. I don't have one negative comment!
The book itself is wonderfully chunky, full of bright colours and photos. Definitely one to add to the collection!
on 26 October 2009
I highly recommend this book to anyone who cooks regularly for family and friends. It has both special occasion and everyday recipes that are clear and easy to follow, and taste delicious.

I previously had two of Rachel Allen's books, but I found that I did not use them very often. By contrast, I have already cooked more than half a dozen recipes in this book, having had it for about a month. I like the idea of cooking meals from scratch, but have often found that recipes who do this are a bit daunting - this book provides simple instructions and I have found that I was able to do this.

The only types of recipes that I haven't tried yet are the dessert/baking recipes. They look very tasty but I haven't had the time yet!
on 1 November 2009
This is another great book from Rachel Allen - I have them all so may be biased but I find her ideas are always simple and within reach of even those who are just beginning their cookery journey. The recipes are easily followed and most important for most people is that the ingredients are readily available. I watched the series on television and followed with the book which was an extra bonus. Its a definite winner and a must for any cookery book collection.
on 21 January 2010
This is the first Rachel Allen book I have bought, it is brilliant. I have now used about 15 of the recipes and each one has worked perfectly. I particularly like the Sticky cumin and apricot roast carrots & parsnips, leftovers even make a super soup. Am now looking to buy another of her books as she is obviously great.
VINE VOICEon 16 January 2010
Rachel Allen has done what some might have thought to be impossible - making good home cooked food fashionable again. This book is another testament to her creativity as a chef balanced with her sensibility as a mum. This follows in the current trend for multi-purpose cookbooks (like Fay Ripley's wonderful 'Fay's Family Food', another personal favourite!)

This book is full of recipes that anyone could make, which mostly have a small number of ingredients or are easy to prepare, and which result in good home cooked food which is equally serveable for a family dinner or at a dinner party.

Typical recipes include 'Stir fried noodles with chicken dumplings', 'Lamb koftas with dips and spicy pittas', 'Gooseberry sponge tart' and home made cherryade. There is also a nod to those with children with a baby puree section.

The only thing I don't like so much about the book (and the reason it loses a star in my review) is way that the chapters are laid out by meals, which are not intuitive and do not give enough information to make the book easy to browse or flick through - for example, if you were looking for vegetable dishes you would have to look in 'Lunch', 'Sunday Lunch' AND 'Dinner' to make sure you'd read them all.

Apart from this, this book is a winner and will be on my kitchen shelf for some time to come!
on 24 January 2011
This is an absolutely gorgeous book to leaf through. The pics are beautiful. It all looks airy and light and makes you want to dive into the kitchen. I especially love to look of all the recipes in the sunday lunches, I haven't thried any of those yet though.
The Molly Malone chowder was absolutely lovely. My 3 year old also loved that one! Other great recipes are the rhubarb muffins, chicken goujons and broad bean mint and feta pasta.
I do have a critical note. When I first flipped through the book I was pleasantly surprised by the many 'exotic' recipes in there. The pics of them looked yummy. But having tried a couple, I'm not very enthusiastic. The mild lamb curry was bland rather than mild and the crispy prawn stir fry was too tasteless as well. It might have to do with my very mixed cultural heritage, I'm used too my 'exotic' food tasting a lot more spicy and I don't just mean in the heat department.
Rachel's recipes may have been intended for the Irish taste buds or to get you interested in other cuisines If your are used to Caribbean, Chinese or Indian food, I'd advise you to skip those recipes. The rest of the book is brilliant. Absolutely worth buying!
on 9 January 2016
The recipes look great a and very varied. The kindle version of the book, however, does not have the recipes listed other than an index at the rear of the book and the only way you can find recipes is scrolling page by page or attempting to use a word search. Page numbers are not present on the Kindle version so finding a recipe is a bit of a lottery. This is extremely poor for a kindle book and detracts from the content.
on 8 November 2009
recipes very good and easy to follow. baby food recipes are a great idea.well done rachel.