on 5 April 2013
The release date of this made me a little wary about purchasing this book, 2010 is more than two years old and in web development this is an age.
Initially I thought that it may have been a little too basic, but after delving in and working my way through the chapters, I have found tons of tips and hints to improve the Google maps on my website.
The book is well written and, so far, all of the code examples have worked.
Would definitely recommend this book and I look forward to any books from this author digging deeper into the Google Maps API.
on 1 December 2010
Well, I got the book today and wanted to leave some comments about it:

I had put some Google maps code already together with not knowing much about it, but getting the sense of what I actually did. As I am starting a project that requires good / advanced Google maps API knowledge I thought it might be a nice idea to buy this book to get into the basics.

However, I can definitely recommend this book to absolutely beginners of Google API. People who have never done a map with Googles service should definitely consider buying this book. It is easy to read, helps you a lot with examples, guides you through everything you need to know and gives you even some basic JavaScript information.

As I said earlier, I got the book today and was working through it, after about 7 hours with doing others things as well I finished the book. It helped me a lot in the basics, but was not really on that level I needed to be. But I suppose that that is not the target of the book. Therefore I give it 5 stars, that it is for beginners and is very well written for beginners, and beginners with no experience in Google maps will definitely improve their skills by easily doing the examples!
on 22 June 2014
I bought this book because I was converting from Google's v.2 API to v.3. As such it's just about enough, but I could have used something more advanced. However, the title says 'Beginning...' and it lives up to that. I'd certainly recommend it for anyone new to Google Maps.
on 25 November 2013
I bought this book because I had to migrate from Google Maps v2 to v3. I was daunted at the prospect because at first glance it seemed that everything had changed. It took me a while to realise that although a lot of the initialisation code had changed, there was also much that hadn't, particularly that for the setting up of markers. The explanations in the book are clear and easy to follow. I could have done with a bit more detail in the chapter on migration. I'm now looking for the 'Intermediate' book, because this one, as its title says, is for beginners. I would certainly recommend this book for anyone beginning Google Maps.
on 28 December 2015