Format: Audio CD|Change

I enjoyed the first Tonbruket album, but this second one really is the sound of a band gelling perfectly. The opening track begins with what sounds like the intro to a long lost seventies prog rock song before stopping and entering a delicate passage of percussion and piano before the pace picks up and the song races to the end. This is followed by Balloons, a track locked into a great groove with jazzy, spacey piano and a rumbling bass line that allow the guitar to float and soar. Check out the great bass runs at the end! As with the previous album, prog rock workouts are mixed up with mellower, acoustic tracks (Lilo, Decent Life, which is a nod back at Berglund's previous band, the sadly missed E.S.T). Berglund's beautiful track, Lilo, with its fingerpicked guitar, wonderful bass soloing, and slow build up has a world/folk sound that would not be out of place on a Penguin Cafe Orchestra album.

To my ears this sounds a lot tighter than the debut album, and is highly recommened. A fantastic collection of tunes.
on 19 September 2012
Inevitably Tonbruket will be compared to EST, but that is to do them a great inservice. To me this band goes beyond EST. Sure there are many influences from EST and many others that I can hear but this recording is fresh, innovative, extremely addictive and stands on its own as completely individual. You never tire of listening to it as every track is different and has its own flavour. This goes straight into my top ten list and although I look forward to the next offering if Tonbruket never record another album I would be well happy with repeat playing of this masterpiece.
on 12 September 2011
I enjoyed EST so much that I just couldn't imagine Tonbruket being anywhere near as good - but they grow on you. The first album was clearly in search of a new sound and only sporadically successful - but this is an excellent album with some really catchy, jazz meets prog-rock tracks. Balloons, Lilo, Draisine Song and Decent life stand out for me. A pleasant surprise. Shame about the cover design!
on 30 September 2015
This album was appalling. I think I have all the EST recordings - foolishly I had read a couple of reviews on here of 'Dig it to the end' and thought
this could be an interesting departure. This album has neither melody nor cohesion - there is no flow at all. Major disappointment.
on 30 January 2014
This album came as something of a revelation- It is hard to define -thought it was going to be jazz-like but it transcends (not wanting to sound too pompous) several genres -

certainly it appears almost improvised at times which gives it a fresh invigorating tone-

All in all pretty damn good
on 16 August 2011
Not quite as immediately impactful as the début album but an evolution of the soundscape of Tonbruket. The more you hear it the more you hear in it. A beautiful piece of work.

There is something about the Nordic sound. If you like this album, check out The Thread of Life by Magnus Olstrom.
on 3 March 2013
Great band, it's a departure from the expected. Each time I listen to it it seems that I have never heard it before. What better praise can I bestow. Not really jazz just music.