on 31 July 2012
plug in connect and it works, press security button for random security code - be aware you have 2 minutes to complete all so if big building plug in together in one room or same power strip and do together. the CD software loaded easier off the devolo.co.uk site. I am very pleased with initial results internet speed test is within 2% of previous best direct cable connection and I normally get significant variations at different times of day.
Only issue is bottom loading of net connector, if your wall sockets are lower than 8cm from floor these units will not fit, luckily mine just work (to the millimeter) so do check.
Read the connection guides you will get better performance by running power through the unit to equipment rather than side by side on double sockets due to inbuilt filters, use the website and CD documentation.
happy bunny
on 3 December 2015
Would definitely recommend to anyone
on 11 October 2016
Great around the house
on 18 April 2012
We had previously had a disastrous time trying to use TP-Link homeplugs. After spending hours installing and resetting them, and then following instructions from the Help line too, they never worked. So we had to return them to Amazon and, with some trepidation, ordered these Devolo homeplugs.

To our relief, the Devolo homeplugs worked straight away, out of the box, no fuss, no problems at all. We have Windows 7, Mac computer, Mac laptop and TV but our wireless signal was weak to non existent in some upstairs rooms. That has now improved hugely. The Devolo homeplugs are more expensive than the TP-Link ones but they just worked effortlessly and having a socket on each plug is really useful.

I have nothing but praise for this product, especially after our previous experience with TP-Link.
on 17 November 2011
I wasn't sure about this type of unit as I had heard some bad reports on plugin networking but these are real good, we have a low internet signal in our village and wireless was useless but with these Devolo units, I am running remote computers, Internet TV and Freesat box, they never drop out and we are able to use all the internet based services supplied on Freeview and freesat and not a glitch in sight. We purchased the through plug type so that we didn't lose the use of the power socket. They might seem a bit pricey but they really do the job and with no cables running round the house it's all good stuff.
on 26 November 2012
After using a pair of excellent Solwise home plugs (85 Mbit/s) for a while, it was a joy to start using this Devolo package. The 500 Mbit/s has made a difference but to be honest, I am not using them to their full potential. At least I have future-proofed myself by buying these - unless 500 Mbit/s becomes old hat soon!

I use the plugs to stream music and photos from my PC to my TV. I also use them to view BBC iPlayer over the internet. In addition, I use them to connect my netbook to my PC for remote operations. In all cases, the data transmission is perfect.

The ability to be able to plug in other electrical items including socket extensions has alone sold this for me. Also, the plugs do not become that warm - unlike my Solwise plugs. The Cockpit software is simple to use and allows you to check on speeds between the three plugs. It also allows you to apply security (instead of using the onboard switches on each plug).

I was impressed to receive three CAT 5e Ethernet cables as part of the package and this allowed me to have all plugs up and running in no time.

One caveat and this has been mentioned by other reviewers. You will not be able to use these plugs in sockets are less than 8cm from the floor/shelf. In fact, to plug in the Ethernet cable you will ideally need at least 13cm free height. I did consider docking one star for this but it would be grossly unfair as everything else is brilliant.

I highly recommend these plugs.
on 25 October 2011
I purchased these to replace some "value" units I purchased a couple of years ago. I wanted something that I could add to at a later date. I chose this "branded " product based on reviews seen here. I am very happy with my purchase . I have placed a nas storage in a hiding place away from my pc so hopefully in the event of loss I will have a backup I can use.
Very pleased indeed
on 11 March 2012
This kit is fantastic! it's what every bit of tech hardware should be! it feels like it was designed by humans rather than geeks... all you have to do is plug it in and off it goes...that easy! even the 'cockpit' software is incredibly simple and intuitive. I've had Netgear kit in the past and unless you're a geek you can forget it...I don't want to know about SSIDs or anything else I want to use stuff immediately not spend days trying to figure it out !

Thank you Devolo for employing pragmatic intelligence in the design of your gear - it's something that is sadly lacking when techy people design techy stuff, you need dumb humans involved too!

Oh and for Mac users everywhere...this is perfect!!
on 29 July 2011
I got these to replace the 3 Devolo 200 AV Plus plugs I had. I was getting ~180Mbps across the network according to the DLAN Cockpit software so I was hoping for up to 400Mbps with these. Oh no, in fact I'm currently getting 162Mbps - 250Mbps over the various connections. Not impressed at all but hopefully a firmware update will resolve this - I've contacted Devolo but have had no reply...

UPDATE 18/11/2011: Firmware 5.2.3 has been released and with it the connection speeds reported by the Devolo Cockpit software have improved. I'm now seeing over 200 Mbps on all of the connections. Better than the old plugs now but still not massively (I'm adding 1 star to my review score).

The cool feature with the new firmware is that it updates all of the plugs 'in situ' instead of having to unplug them all and update via a direct connection to your PC.
on 18 April 2013
Extremely happy with Devolo dLan 500 AVplus. I bought it more than a year and a half ago, plugged it in - virtually no installation or setting up to speak of, all very straightforward - and forgot about it. A much cheaper solution to hard-wiring and solved the problem with unsteady wireless connection on the first floor (the router is on the ground floor). My daughter is always streaming some videos on her laptop, my TV is also connected via a Devolo plug - no problems at all (my broadband is only 8Mbps max). The only downside - the plugs are fairly large in size, so placing them behind furniture may be tricky. But I wouldn't downgrade the product just because of this - it performs as promised and I'm considering getting another plug for the TV Skype cam I just ordered.

A quick edit: I just saw another review that it does not work with Windows 7 - it works with mine(Windows 7 64-bit Home edition)!