Air Conditioning
Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 April 2010
'Curved Air' only came to my attention by the only Single they ever had a hit with, way, way back in the Summer of 1971: 'Back Street Luv'. They were not a Chart Band, and so the hit was 'unsuspected' - but left its mark. I purchased the Album it was taken from - it's a great Album. However; I would say that this is even better!

Featuring such classic numbers as: 'It Happened Today', 'Blind Man', 'Vivladi', 'Propositions' and 'Rob One'.

Re-mastered, though a couple of Tracks are a bit 'patchy' - but only noticeable to a sensitive ear with Headphones.
on 18 August 2013
A couple of great tracks and with modern technology allowing Vivaldi to be shifted to the back (which was always the big "turn-off" even from vinyl days quite a good listen even now.
on 10 December 2014
Progressive rock, folk rock, classical rock, from the 70's British weird and wonderful department (if there were a place like that). Can't pigeonhole this. I think it's an acquired taste.
on 6 November 2011
Brilliant in 1967, brilliant now. The sound recording is great, not as bad as many would suggest. Just turn up the volume a little for best effect. WOW!!!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 November 2011
I went to see Curved Air recentley, They were so good i thought i would buy this classic album as i had the Original on vinyl. Still love it.
VINE VOICEon 29 November 2010
I have owned and cherished 'Second Album' for many years without knowing any of Curved Air's other releases, so at long last I thought I'd take the plunge on their debut. Like other reviewers, I find the sound a little thin, but on the whole I like the album. Although they seem to be regarded as a prog band, they're a perfect example of why such labels can be misleading. Their music, though often inventive tends to be very melodic and easy on the ear, a world away from the meanderings of Yes or the experimentalism of King Crimson.

On this album, I would have liked to have heard a bit more of Sonja Kristina, whose swooning voice complements Way's violin. Even so, the showstopper is probably 'Vivaldi'. I was surprised to note that it's credited to Darryl Way because it was later recorded by Sky for their second album, and I was under the impression therefore that Francis Monkman, their keyboard player, had taken it with him. If you're a fan of what Monkman contributed to Curved Air, by the way, you'll probably like Sky's first two albums as he was their main composer when they started out. A decent CD then, violin and all, but it could do with a better mastering and I still much prefer the second album.
on 20 February 2015
Excellent item. I would recommend this seller for their accurate description, fair price and prompt delivery
on 7 September 2010
As the other reviewers have said, this is a great album but it really does cry out for a remastering job - AND, more importantly, the addition of the so-far unissued-on-CD track "What Happens When You Blow Yourself Up", which was on the 7" single "It Happened Today" alongside "Vivaldi". "What Happens..." is a fabulous Air piece, and was often featured in the band's live set merged into "Propositions"; check out the 1971 Beat Club TV performance and you'll want it. Trust me.
on 1 March 2009
When I saw the chance to purchase this on CD I could not resist (although the picture disc on vinyl was a classic). Did we really allow Sonja Kristina to fade away? "Stretch" should be played to educate the youth of today instead of all this 'boom boom' rubbish. Rock violin will never be the same, give it a listen!
on 30 December 2014
Sound reproduction quality rather poor.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse