on 20 January 2016
The 'Learn You a Haskell' book is an excellent introduction to Haskell. Having studied under one of the main contributors to the language, I had to learn much of the language in a very short space of time. Having read other Haskell textbooks this one is definitely the one to go with!

The book itself is very nice quality. The wording is very clear and casual which is a very rare find in programming literature. You won't get stuck wondering what words mean but at the same time it offers a very solid grounding (and even some more complex concepts!) for the Haskell language.

Note that the book is essentially available in the form of the "Learn You A Haskell" website but it's always beneficial to have a physical copy.

I would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to study a functional language.
on 31 December 2015
Among the best introductions to a programming language I have came across, it gives me a similar feeling as when I first read "The C Programming Language" hard and fast without sacrificing. Assumes the reader is familiar with imperative programming and is looking to get started in functional programming. As such it will introduce concepts not particularly widely used across procedural or object orientated languages but does not introduce Haskell as a first language often contrasting against concepts from the imperative world. There is a lot to learn here and unlike many books on the topic this one is simultaneously accessible and not patronising.

I should probably note that if you are already familiar with functional programming or have some previous knowledge of Haskell then it might be a little slower feeling than to me.
on 10 October 2015
The book is written in a light-hearted but conscious manner. The code examples are clear and well chosen.

If you are an experienced programmer in other language(s) you will often find yourself skipping/glancing over content. I was a bit disappointed that it doesn't go into much depth, but I am giving it 5 stars, because even the subtitle states "A Beginner's guide". And it is a really good one.
on 27 November 2012
I have been reading Real World Haskell, but after reading the first hundred pages I felt that I where missing a few things. I then bought Learn You a Haskell, which I find to be absolutely fantastic at explaining the basics of Haskell. The flow is on the verge of being perfect, whenever I think I'd like to move on, the book does. There is a little humor here and there, which I like, and the drawings are also quite enjoyable. It explains subjects, even some which where hard to grasp by other sources, really well.

The combination of Real World Haskell and this book is great. This is a friendly book, which will dress you up nicely for the journey into the dragons den (Just kidding, Haskell is a beautiful language!)
on 19 April 2013
This is the first programming book i am going to finish reading and i have to say it's amazing. The author is funny from time to time while sticking to the point spreading knowledge. I can't wait to finish it and start getting dirty with the language.
on 20 June 2012
It's a great introduction to Haskell, where, hiding behind a seemingly simplistic and light-hearted presentation, there is concealed enough depth, if only one wishes to explore it. Sometimes I wish the book was a bit more direct in establishing set- and category-theoretic connections, but it is creating a lasting momentum in the right direction nevertheless.
on 7 October 2013
If you're coming from an imperative programming background, this book is a gentle introduction into the world of functional programming and Haskell, with eye-opening examples and an all-around fun atmosphere. A must read.
on 22 December 2014
Great startup Haskell book
on 10 May 2012
I came across the concept of a Monad whilst I was learning Scala and I bought this book with the sole purpose of getting a thorough understanding of the concept. Success.

Haskell is difficult, its concepts are, as you would expect from a language that has been designed by a committee whose sole purpose was to create the ultimate programming language, as close to the world of math as it gets and unconstrained by engineering considerations such as the size of a bus or the width of a processor pipeline. This makes this language a true weapon for problem churning, but it also makes it exceptionally hard to get, specially in what regards to its type system. This book does an amazing job at getting you from zero to being able to code serious things progressively and almost easily.
on 7 February 2014
I have purchased a paper a copy of this after reading the free online version and enjoying it so much.

Content-wise, I have nothing to add to the already plentiful 5 star reviews with which I agree whole-heartedly.

It is worth noting however, that if you have been enchanted by the endearingly random and colourful images in the electronic versions of this book, you should prepare yourself for the significantly drabber printed versions. That said, it is still an excellent text, and I mention the colour issue merely in case it would be a deal breaker for you - IMHO it shouldn't be.