on 23 September 2012
I bought this for my wife having used a TomTom GO 300 myself. We have been very pleased with it. It fits easily and securely to the screen and position adjustment is simple. The maps are clear although do not show so much of the immediate area as the TomTom. It is very simple to use and we like the fact that you can press the menu button at any stage to return to the main menu. Directions are clear and simple and it does not "pester" you as much as the TomTom. The ability to pre-define a route and define waypoints is very useful although unlike the TomTom (on this model) you can't store several different routes and just call up the one you want on the day.

One small gripe is that the on off slider switch also incorporates the reset function and if you accidentally slide it too far to the right when turning off it will do a full reset next time you switch it on. Poor thinking by MIO but avoidable if you are careful.

You get free map updates for 30 days but that requires installing their software on your PC. We did have some problems loading the software. It crashed my wife's Vista machine and it took several days to get everything working properly again. It loaded OK on my XP machine but refused to communicate with the MIO. I finally managed to get it to work by making sure the MIO was turned on before plugging it into the USB on the PC. The instructions say the opposite. The map downloading and backing up of the device was then simple and efficient although time consuming.

Overall I would definitely recommend this device and I would certainly choose it over the TomTom now I have experienced both.
on 25 August 2011
Please be aware - you need to charge this sat nav for 8 hours before you use it for the first time and as an AV charger isnt supplied you may wish to buy one at the same time as you buy the sat nav. The in car charger will be great once you are up and running but I didnt want to sit in my car for 8 hours whilst it charged! Otherwise easy to understand & follow instructions
22 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2012
The wide screen Sat Nav was easy to use and I was able to borrow a charger from a friend for its initial 8 hour charge. The functionality of it receiving live traffic updates and being able to re-route to avoid jams is excellent. I made use of this functionality the first time I used it. Not many sat nav's will have this functionality for the price. I would defiantly recommend this product to all.
on 2 February 2013
I found it not too hot when navigating country lanes. Excellent for finding places in unfamiliar cities and towns. I think the accessories for this product are well over priced.Take a close look at alternative products available at a fraction of the Mio price. I'm sure there are better Sat Navs available but these will probably be a lot more expensive to buy. As the saying goes, you get what you paid for.
on 21 October 2012
Had a mio H610 which was stolen and I replaced it with this one. Agree with all the other reviews especilly the one regarding the reset button which can be an absolute pain. My only complaint is the units refusal ( no matter what setting) to recalculate and it will try to take you back to its original route.
on 7 February 2013
I have only used this a little so far and not explored all the facilities. But for basic A to B directions it is fine and gives me all the information in time and in a timely manner.
It seems that the battery does not last very long and so it seems to need the supply from the cigarette light socket to be permanent whilst it iis in use.
This is the 3rd unit I have bought from Amazon (though first from this seller) as the previous two were sold as 'new', but when received either clearly they had been used or were actually labelled 'reconditioned' !
on 28 February 2015
Although I did not purchase this Sat Nav from Amazon my findings may be useful.
Not very happy with the Sprit 685, Battery life is abysmal only lasting twenty minuets, Sometimes have to wait ten minuets for it to lock on to a satellite. Easy to find your way around all the settings, and easy to plot your way, but does not give house numbers only street names.
Options include easy route, fast route and the most economical route, but at times takes you down the wrong direction. Car parks shown are not in the correct location.
I have yet to see the display for lane guidance on motorways. Many information flags pop up to tell you your satnav needs speed cameras to be installed at an extra cost. Asks you to accept warning notice each time you fire it up.
Has no USB cable to connect to your computer. I have gone back to my TomTom Start 25 which is far superior.
on 6 February 2013
not a new product as described but a refurbished model,it says navman on the unit and not mio,it is ok for the money but i will spend more next time and get a much better one
on 6 December 2012
This replaced my old Navman which finally gave up the ghost after years of loyal service. Same makers, better product. I have the version with euro mapping and I love hearing the SatNav voices coping with foreign street names. Gives us all a giggle on the road. Quicker to connect to signal than the previous versions. Happy motorist here.
on 26 November 2012
After having a few sat navs in my time, this has to be the best by far. a great piece of kit.

See one answered question