Customer reviews

Howells: The Winchester Service And Other Late Works
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 September 2011
Howells is, of course, a particular taste. Some people will buy this because they love Howells and want "more of the same" and they will certainly not be disappointed. For myself, I bought this because of the new recording of the Winchester Evening Service - and I was delighted: since I first got to know this setting via a Winchester LP of nearly 40 years ago, I've always thought this was one of the very best Howells settings of the evening canticles. This recording does not disappoint.

Buy it!
on 13 March 2012
The majority of the music on this disc was unknown to me. I knew of it, but had never heard any of it. As a choir member in a parish church that sang regular choral music to a high level I have collected many discs both vinyl and cd of various music that either we sang as a choir, or that I had heard at various Cathedral Evensongs.
Winchester Cathedral Choir are too my mind 'up there' with the likes of Kings College-Cambridge, St Johns College-Cambridge, Westminster Abbey, St Albans Cathedral choir, Christchurch Cathedral choir. Winchester Cathedral choir like the afore mentioned choirs are ones that I tend to follow, buy cd's, check the Music Lists regularly or attend evensong where possible. This is purely because the standard of the choir is as high as it's going to get, and this disc reflects this in that the musicality, texture, harmonies and overall tone of the choir, especially the boys is at a standard rarely bettered. Andrew Lumsden has every reason to be very happy with the choir at Winchester and I hope they continue to make discs such as this for may years to come. There is some beautiful singing here, well accompanied and directed - Highly reccomended. - Is there a Bryan Kelly disc out there anywhere - surely there's enough repetoire to make a complete disc. Come on Winchester.