VINE VOICEon 2 January 2011
I have painted in acrylic,oil and pastels, but have never bothered with watercolour, so decided that at age 73 I would "give it a go", I went to evening classes and bought The Dummies "bible", I have now recommended it to at least 20 people, and most have either bought it themselves or asked for it as a Xmas pressie ! If you want to learn to paint in this medium it is the ideal way, you get comprehensive advice in every chapter plus projects to do, teaching you how to mix colour something I went in dread of doing..silly woman, it is easy peasy with Dummies, also wet on wet, dry brush work and all the other methods. All explained in simple terms as Dummies always are. It is great value for money especially from Amazon ! So if you want to try to paint in watercolour, no matter if you are 5yrs or 85 yrs then go to it, but do get Dummies first it is worth every penny !
Ros Moore
on 2 August 2009
Although I'm not quite a Dummy at watercolour painting, I found this book crammed full of "how to do" techniques which introduce the new water colourist to this wonderful pass time. For everyone there are useful tips and demos. As all "Dummies" books it is written in a whimsical, easy to understand way and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Good value for money.
on 13 April 2008
I have had some basic training in composition, painting etc. When I decided to revive my interest in Watercolours I chose this book, because it was informative, useful and inspirational.

It's good for either dipping or reading through a technique and has lots of inspiring exercises. I can heartily recommend it.
on 13 July 2009
Fabulous and extremely helpful for any problems or queries you may have regarding painting in watercolour.
on 22 July 2016
Got a copy from my library, but so impressed I bought one. Excellent reference to dip in and out of . Good advice which lets you make the decision. Does not dictate to you. Easy read, as usual with Dummies series. Would recommend to beginners or improvers.
on 2 May 2015
Very American but it has lots of useful hints and is a 'must have' for any novice watercolour painter but also a handy reference for the more experienced, The book is in colour - an earlier version was in black and white???? Wot??? - subjects range from landscapes to animal portraits so there is something for every aspiring artist
on 5 March 2014
I got this book from the library initially and thought it gave clear and simple ways of approaching watercolour painting
I then got my permanent copy to use when ever.
Would recommend for someone starting out as gives confidence through clear and simple teaching
on 4 July 2009
I have found this book to be very comprehensive explaining things simply but in detail.
It is much better than the author's recently published "Acrylic Painting for Dummies"
on 16 January 2013
I like this book very much . I think it covers most of what anyone would need to start painting watercolor
on 28 January 2010
it is what it says on the front,
everything is simply explained and in plain english
a very good buy