on 2 November 2015
I have hardly ever been moved so much by a film on a theme I'm not interested in... I'm not a sports or rugby fan; and that may be the reason that I only watched this film now, so many years after its make. I am glad I did and regret not having viewed this much earlier. It would be easy just to repeat what umpteen others with better knowledge of English/American/Africaans said so much better, but I want to add my 5*s and for those who need subtitles, I am just listing those:
Languages of THIS edition (DVD-2010, bought in UK): English, Italian
subs: E/Arabic/Dutch/Icelandic/Italian/Greek
for the hearing impaired: E/I
It's a two hours film and you will want to know shorthand to write down some of 'Mandela's Quotes', tissues to handle tears for the heart-wrenching renderings by Morgan Freeman & Matt Damon and a 'jodel' to congratulate wonderful director Clint Eastwood and his crew. If you need a kick to buy it or if you've lived behind the solar system (with regards to this movie) like me - get up, get it, watch it - be amazed!
on 4 June 2017
It may seem to be centered around Rugby a lot, but the actors are good, and more importantly (for me): even if you're not a Rugby fan it is a good film, as it demonstrates what Mandela had to cope with while trying to make his country one.
Opposition from all colours of the rainbow, however, he had great charisma. Impressive!

The additional features, like interviews and comments from some of the actors and even a piece in which Morgan meets Mandela, are also very interesting. I'm very glad I bought it!
on 13 June 2015
If you are not a Rugby Fan, watch it anyway, because the focus of the Film is on the effect the World Cup had on a Nation still reeling from the changes post apartheid, and the rebirth of a common cause amongst the whole Population. Lots there for the mainstream Rugby Fan as well, indicating a well crafted film that had a delicate tightrope to walk. It did the latter superbly bringing the viewer along with the rising Tide of Emotion as the Finals drew ever closer.

Morgan Freeman as Mandela was an inspired casting, and its clear both he and Matt Demon (as the Springboks Captain) under the wise Directorship of Clint Eastwood, both did a fine job portraying the emotion of the period and the rising furfur that gripped a Nation still suffering growing pains from its Re-Birth. Even non Rugby Fans cant help but be swept along in the portrayed emotion of the time. Wonderful Film fully deserving of the Forrest of 5 Star ratings it has received on Amazon. As a slice of History in that troubled Country, it doesnt get much better than this. A superb watch for all the family, both as an emotional record of the Historical times, and a wonderful memorable World Cup Final. Not to be missed by anyone, Rugby Fan or not.
on 8 September 2016
Great film. Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon demonstrate why they must be fighting film offers off with a stick with understated, likable performances - getting them signed up is money in the bank. Have either ever made a bad film?
If Mandela was only half as wise, courageous and charming as Mr F portrays him, he was a remarkable human being. Unfailingly courteous to former enemies and mistrustful friends alike he slowly gets what he wants. Matt Damon ably supports as the White Afrikaner Rugby captain initially slightly mistrustful and amazed Mandela is taking an interest in Rugby, then channeling the pride of a new South Africa turning to the future to make a mediocre team world beaters. Even the back story of the white and black security detail learning to respect each other is a delight.
To be pernickity some of the rugby players and the rugby look a little Sunday league rather than international but that's a minor point. If you've not got something in your eye by the end you've got a heart of granite.
on 31 August 2016
I discovered this film due to a trailer on another DVD I'd purchased.

Pros : Given to believe this is a true life story (or as true as they're ever likely to be) - love that type of film; Stars Morgan Freeman - love his films.
Cons : Long; About politics; About sport - hate all those things.

Being aware of all the above I took a gamble and ordered this film. And what a FANTASTIC film it is. I don't think it'll be too long before I watch it again, as I really feel I missed lots of little things while following the main thread of the story.
on 2 August 2016
I don't particularly enjoy rugby.
However, I certainly enjoyed this film.
Matt Damon impresses with his fitness and commitment to the job.
Morgan Freeman, who in my humble opinion should be president of the United States is as always terrific.
Clint Eastwood, again in my opinion, hasn't put a foot wrong either as director or actor and often both since the 1980's and produces the goods yet again.
Four stars for me because I like it not love it, maybe if it was a soccer tournament?
on 17 December 2010
I remember the first time I heard about this movie being made and being excited at the prospect of a film based on the events of the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa and How Nelson Mandela used it to unify the country after decades of Apartheid oppression through Sport.

The Film itself uses archive footage as well as well paced action for the sports scenes and handles the drama and sensitive scenes very delicately. Clint Eastwood's director's touch is clearly visible on the screen and it is one of his finest films to date.

Morgan Freeman steals the film with his portrayal of Nelson Mandela and it never feels like Freeman over does the impression and makes the role his own.

Matt Damon is okay as François Pienaar, the captain of the South African Rugby Team but in my opinion most hollywood actors could have done the job just fine.

If you want to watch a well directed, touching and at times funny drama based on real life events watch this film.
on 29 October 2016
I thought this film was very inspiring and positive. Morgan Freeman was wonderful as Mandela and Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar also acted brilliantly, which must have been hard - learning all about rugger instead of American football ! The choreography of the Final match was brilliantly done and a wonderful climax. Hats off to Clint Eastwood !
on 28 January 2016
Great invigorating film which perfectly captures the time in which it was set and illustrates the type of person that Mandela was and the transition he made in his and others lives when released from prison. No grudges only forward thinking. The poem itself (written in the 19th century by William Henley) should serve as an inspiration to us all. Well acted and a very good film
on 1 July 2015
Didn't have an overly clear idea of what to expect (was browsing cheap DVDs one evening when I bought this) and we absolutely lovely this. Found the story well told and we didn't actually know what was going to happen in the final match until I accidentally looked at the box and saw the picture on the back... I don't know about absolute historical accuracy in everything that happens but not knowing much about South Africa in this period I found fascinating and revealing.