on 4 March 2017
ok
on 16 March 2013
I've only recently started using Portra 160 having been mostly doing my own B&W films processing but it has impressed immensely.

The whole thing with films is that they each have a unique 'look'. You choose the film depending on the results you want. Something like Velvia is famed for it's amazingly deep and vibrant colour saturation and is frankly amazing , in the right hands, for landscape work. Portra's look is about nailing skin tones first and foremost and it does this amazingly well. Colours overall are generally subdued but it's the skin tones that are just so good... There's something else, I'm finding it difficult to put down in words but I find Portra has a slightly ethereal quality but this is of course totally subjective but I really like that aspect of the film.

I've found it really easy to scan on an Epson V750 and when I nail the focusing on my old Mamiya RB 67 (see attached sample shot) it produces very sharp negatives.

It's a film I've instantly fallen in love with as it produces a kind of subtlety in the final image that's can be time consuming to reproduce in Photoshop with digital files.

And have you seen the price?? I've picked up 5 rolls of this in 120 format for less that twenty quid. Unbelievable!

Stock up and make sure they never stop producing this!!!!
review image
on 20 August 2013
Portra has fine grain, great colour if you process the scan correctly and can deliver superlative flesh tones. If you do film, especially at 120 you should give it a go. A 6x7 should deliver a grainless sharp metre long print- if your technique is up to it!
on 19 January 2015
Portra is my go-to film. I love the 160, 400 variants - I occasionally use the 800. I use the 400 when shooting natural light and use the 160 when shooting in studio. If you're shooting film I would highly recommend you give Portra a try.
on 22 July 2016
A beautiful film for portraits, extremely fine grain and lovely tones. Responds best to warm colours in my experience but works great for blues and greens too. I shot 2 stops overexposed as I do with most colour film and it responded very well with beautiful saturation and pastel highlights. Heard great things about Portra and was not disappointed, will be buying again.
on 12 April 2016
Excellent film, its so much in demand, I couldnt find it anywhere in a London store
This is a fabulous print film for portraits ; superb natural skin tones . Have printed up to 16" x 20" with sparkling results from professional lab. - intend to scan smaller prints for big digital prints in future . Wonderful film , thoroughly recommended
on 19 August 2014
Stunning film, which produced beautiful images - will be buying again.
on 5 August 2016
Amazing film! And great service from seller.
on 24 January 2017
As described - great film as always