Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 November 2011
Every so often, a new band appears seemingly out of nowhere & release a debut album that is so completely lovely that you wonder what you ever did without it. Just such a band are Foster The People & just such an album is Torches. I fell in love with it on first listen & I knew then, that it was going to feature very high in my albums of the year! The lead single Pumped Up Kicks was the song that inspired me to get the album. Its a curious, mellow song underpinned by an insidious beat & has slightly muffled vocals in the verses before bursting into a simple but glorious chorus. It was a real sleeper hit single - hanging around the charts for ages. The whole album is filled with songs that sound so simple & effortless & all the songs have razor sharp hooklines & killer choruses. Helena Beat, Waste, Don't Stop, Call It What You Want....I could go on...& I will, about one song in particular which hit me like some divine hammer the first time I heard it. The song in question is I Would Do Anything For You & its the sweetest, sunshiniest & just most downright adorable song you could hope to hear. Angelic vocals sing achingly sweet words in the verses & kick into a chorus that is so simple & so completely & utterly joyful, you can't help but bounce around the room. My niece, who was 4 years old when she heard it, adores this song & does a cute little dance & sings along to it! Its about the joys of being in love & oh my, the song just perfectly conveys the wonderful feeling of having someone in your life that you love more than anything. I adore that song, I adore this album & I adore this band! Buy it NOW & bring some perfect indie-pop sunshine into your life! :D
44 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
Like many people I'd imagine, indie pop band Foster the People first came to my attention via the hit single 'Pumped Up Kicks', which is one of those rare tunes that no matter how many times I hear it (and that has been a lot), it just never gets old. I bought 'Torches', their debut, and fell in love with it straight away.

Although the band do have heavy shades of MGMT and Two Door Cinema Club, Foster the People definitely have their own sound. All of the songs here are so upbeat, catchy-as-hell, and my idea of perfect indie-pop music. As good as 'Pumped Up Kids' is, don't assume that it is the only stand-out on 'Torches' and the rest won't hold up as well, it isn't even the best song. Other highlights include the sweet 'Waste' and the cool 'Helena Beat', which instantly lifts my mood onto a high.

This is wonderfully melodic music, complete with very crisp vocals, and first-class production. Don't let 'Torches' slip past you, it's an amazing album I can recommend to all lovers of good indie music.
on 22 August 2011
Heard a snatch of Pumped Up Kicks on the radio and it drove me mad until I found out what it was. As soon as I did I bought the album. Absolutely love it. Really funky.
on 18 January 2013
Quirky musical mishmash of styles underlined by decent musicianship. I'm a sucker for a groovy bass riff and bought the album for that alone on Pumped Up Kicks but there's at least one other standout track on this.
on 26 May 2014
When I heard Pumped Up Kicks played on the radio, I was hooked and had to buy this album. I bought this around two years ago and incredibly it's still in the CD player in the car, which make is easily the most listened to CD in my collection. Unusually for an album, there are no duff tracks. I find that when I buy music, I play it over and over and I get bored. I'm still waiting for that to happen with this album.
on 4 November 2011
Let's get it out of the way immediately - Torches is immensely contagious, an audacious indie-pop record. It doesn't always click - but when it does, it's impossible to keep one's feet still.

Pumped Up Kicks is this year's ubiquitous indie-pop crossover - even after many listens, it refuses to lose impact. But does the rest of the album stick quite so successfully? The answer is both yes and no - although more of the former. Opener Helena Beat tries unsuccessfully to re-bottle lightning like their breakthrough hit, but doesn't have similar legs.

Call It What You Want and Houdini, on the other hand, suggest that Foster The People have what it takes to stick around much longer - they hint of the clichéd, but are so joyous and effervescent they render resistance futile. It's not all so golden, but there's enough here to delight in and plenty to enjoy.
on 4 December 2013
33rpm 5-track-per-side vinyl was decent quality for such a digital-sounding album. Tracks don't necessarily flow too well into each other - a problem that is more common with modern albums produced for putting on shuffle on one of them new-fangled iPod things - but each is as good as Pumped Up Kicks once you've listened to it a bit. Doesn't stay quite as interesting for as long as some albums but definitely worth a buy.
on 12 April 2012
There's little that I'll be able to add to any of the other reviews on here, suffice to say that I bought this on a whim as I found it on Vinyl for £8 in Fopp and within 2 playings was hooked.

Bit like a polished The Naked and Famous with a dash of Bombay Bicycle Club. I really like it and if you find it for £8 buy it too!
on 8 June 2015
A colleague introduced me to Foster The People in 2011 and I am so glad she did. I played some of these songs relentlessly at the time, and I go off music quickly if I listen to it too much but this is one of the very few albums I haven't gone off and always come back to. It's also probably the album I love the most tracks on. The songs are all musically and lyrically varied and diverse; if you don't like Pumped Up Kicks it doesn't mean you won't like some or all of the others. Musical taste is entirely subjective, but all I can say is I really love this album.
on 11 August 2016
It still mesmerizes me that Pumped Up Kicks is their most popular song. For I find it to be the weakest on the album. Its an amazing song. But the rest of the album is amazing-er. if you know what im saying. Also the music videos are amazing