Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 June 2017
Reminds me of summer holidays - worth it for pumped up kicks alone
on 6 April 2017
Great band, great album. Nuff said.
on 18 August 2014
Interesting cd
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
Like many people I'd imagine, indie pop band Foster the People first came to my attention via the hit single 'Pumped Up Kicks', which is one of those rare tunes that no matter how many times I hear it (and that has been a lot), it just never gets old. I bought 'Torches', their debut, and fell in love with it straight away.

Although the band do have heavy shades of MGMT and Two Door Cinema Club, Foster the People definitely have their own sound. All of the songs here are so upbeat, catchy-as-hell, and my idea of perfect indie-pop music. As good as 'Pumped Up Kids' is, don't assume that it is the only stand-out on 'Torches' and the rest won't hold up as well, it isn't even the best song. Other highlights include the sweet 'Waste' and the cool 'Helena Beat', which instantly lifts my mood onto a high.

This is wonderfully melodic music, complete with very crisp vocals, and first-class production. Don't let 'Torches' slip past you, it's an amazing album I can recommend to all lovers of good indie music.
on 25 November 2011
Every so often, a new band appears seemingly out of nowhere & release a debut album that is so completely lovely that you wonder what you ever did without it. Just such a band are Foster The People & just such an album is Torches. I fell in love with it on first listen & I knew then, that it was going to feature very high in my albums of the year! The lead single Pumped Up Kicks was the song that inspired me to get the album. Its a curious, mellow song underpinned by an insidious beat & has slightly muffled vocals in the verses before bursting into a simple but glorious chorus. It was a real sleeper hit single - hanging around the charts for ages. The whole album is filled with songs that sound so simple & effortless & all the songs have razor sharp hooklines & killer choruses. Helena Beat, Waste, Don't Stop, Call It What You Want....I could go on...& I will, about one song in particular which hit me like some divine hammer the first time I heard it. The song in question is I Would Do Anything For You & its the sweetest, sunshiniest & just most downright adorable song you could hope to hear. Angelic vocals sing achingly sweet words in the verses & kick into a chorus that is so simple & so completely & utterly joyful, you can't help but bounce around the room. My niece, who was 4 years old when she heard it, adores this song & does a cute little dance & sings along to it! Its about the joys of being in love & oh my, the song just perfectly conveys the wonderful feeling of having someone in your life that you love more than anything. I adore that song, I adore this album & I adore this band! Buy it NOW & bring some perfect indie-pop sunshine into your life! :D
44 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2017
I managed to avoid having ‘Pumped Up Kicks’ drilled into mind by radio overplay unlike the majority of people. I knew this band had high hype and only went in with the idea they were some kind of indie band I probably wouldn't care about. However, as soon as the album started, I warmed to them. It was more electronic based than I expected and I think it's a stretch to call them indie pop with their lack of focus on guitar. I was really impressed by the strength of the album - it's really catchy and they make good use of little touches here and there such as hand claps and electronic beeps. The vocals are slightly camp but they use it in moderation rather that being overbearing. There's a slight drop in quality towards the end, but the album’s climax, ‘Warrant’ is brilliant which features a great bass groove over a longer duration which makes for a great album closer.
on 11 August 2016
It still mesmerizes me that Pumped Up Kicks is their most popular song. For I find it to be the weakest on the album. Its an amazing song. But the rest of the album is amazing-er. if you know what im saying. Also the music videos are amazing
on 18 January 2013
Quirky musical mishmash of styles underlined by decent musicianship. I'm a sucker for a groovy bass riff and bought the album for that alone on Pumped Up Kicks but there's at least one other standout track on this.
on 22 October 2011
I got hooked into Foster the People after listening to Pumped up Kicks and Helena Beat. So off I go to get their CD and I am not disappointed.

Foster the People has a lot of drum arrangement, guitar bashing and ecelectic mix featured in most of their songs.I personally love the drum beat arrangement at the start of the songs, in the middle and everywhere! It reminded me a lot - of sunshine, sitting on a grass or on a beach on a beauty day which music like this playing at the back. It has such a good vibe feel to it. I can see why some people say the music is almost bland and similar as the drum arrangement is featured prominently in all their songs and if you are not paying attention to each music it does sound almost as if it is the same. But it is not. It is I suppose their music style.

It's not strictly dance music - one of the song reminds me of Basement Jaxx but nothing like theirs! Then you listen again and you think you are listening to Scissor Sisters but with a punch. And at some stage you get reminded of the happy vibrations you get listening to Shapeshifters Incredible.

The vocals are both female and male and I do like that.

CD is good - good vibe, good feelings, punchy and reminds you of a warm outdoor sessions. However stay away from Foster the People if you don't like loud music.
on 4 December 2013
33rpm 5-track-per-side vinyl was decent quality for such a digital-sounding album. Tracks don't necessarily flow too well into each other - a problem that is more common with modern albums produced for putting on shuffle on one of them new-fangled iPod things - but each is as good as Pumped Up Kicks once you've listened to it a bit. Doesn't stay quite as interesting for as long as some albums but definitely worth a buy.