Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 August 2017
Great stuff! Have been meaning to buy this for years but hearing "Houdini" again recently gave me the kick up the butt I needed to get out there and pick up a copy.

Superb songs, beautifully crafted. Just the sort of thing to have as a summer soundtrack (played it a hell of a lot while on holiday and it just glides over you when you're sitting somewhere sunny as the evening draws in).

Definitely need to pick up more by this band
on 7 June 2017
Reminds me of summer holidays - worth it for pumped up kicks alone
on 14 August 2017
I only like some of the tracks
on 6 April 2017
Great band, great album. Nuff said.
on 18 August 2014
Interesting cd
on 4 March 2016
arrived with a damaged case,cd in good condition.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 February 2015
Like many people I'd imagine, indie pop band Foster the People first came to my attention via the hit single 'Pumped Up Kicks', which is one of those rare tunes that no matter how many times I hear it (and that has been a lot), it just never gets old. I bought 'Torches', their debut, and fell in love with it straight away.

Although the band do have heavy shades of MGMT and Two Door Cinema Club, Foster the People definitely have their own sound. All of the songs here are so upbeat, catchy-as-hell, and my idea of perfect indie-pop music. As good as 'Pumped Up Kids' is, don't assume that it is the only stand-out on 'Torches' and the rest won't hold up as well, it isn't even the best song. Other highlights include the sweet 'Waste' and the cool 'Helena Beat', which instantly lifts my mood onto a high.

This is wonderfully melodic music, complete with very crisp vocals, and first-class production. Don't let 'Torches' slip past you, it's an amazing album I can recommend to all lovers of good indie music.
on 1 October 2016
Would have rated 5 stars but case arrived damaged
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 November 2011
Every so often, a new band appears seemingly out of nowhere & release a debut album that is so completely lovely that you wonder what you ever did without it. Just such a band are Foster The People & just such an album is Torches. I fell in love with it on first listen & I knew then, that it was going to feature very high in my albums of the year! The lead single Pumped Up Kicks was the song that inspired me to get the album. Its a curious, mellow song underpinned by an insidious beat & has slightly muffled vocals in the verses before bursting into a simple but glorious chorus. It was a real sleeper hit single - hanging around the charts for ages. The whole album is filled with songs that sound so simple & effortless & all the songs have razor sharp hooklines & killer choruses. Helena Beat, Waste, Don't Stop, Call It What You Want....I could go on...& I will, about one song in particular which hit me like some divine hammer the first time I heard it. The song in question is I Would Do Anything For You & its the sweetest, sunshiniest & just most downright adorable song you could hope to hear. Angelic vocals sing achingly sweet words in the verses & kick into a chorus that is so simple & so completely & utterly joyful, you can't help but bounce around the room. My niece, who was 4 years old when she heard it, adores this song & does a cute little dance & sings along to it! Its about the joys of being in love & oh my, the song just perfectly conveys the wonderful feeling of having someone in your life that you love more than anything. I adore that song, I adore this album & I adore this band! Buy it NOW & bring some perfect indie-pop sunshine into your life! :D
44 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2017
I managed to avoid having ‘Pumped Up Kicks’ drilled into mind by radio overplay unlike the majority of people. I knew this band had high hype and only went in with the idea they were some kind of indie band I probably wouldn't care about. However, as soon as the album started, I warmed to them. It was more electronic based than I expected and I think it's a stretch to call them indie pop with their lack of focus on guitar. I was really impressed by the strength of the album - it's really catchy and they make good use of little touches here and there such as hand claps and electronic beeps. The vocals are slightly camp but they use it in moderation rather that being overbearing. There's a slight drop in quality towards the end, but the album’s climax, ‘Warrant’ is brilliant which features a great bass groove over a longer duration which makes for a great album closer.