Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 6 May 2013
There are 18 tunes on this disc and all the best ones. No one has ever matched Lonnie Donegan. Just great and excellent value. It starts with Rock Island Line then Cumberland Gap, Battle of New Orleans,Don't You Rock Me Daddy O, Bring a Little Water Sylvie, The Grand Coulee Dam, Sally Don't You Grieve, Dead or Alive, Tom Dooley, Jack of Diamonds,My Dixie Darling, Betty Betty Betty, Stewball, Lonesome Traveller, Gamblin' Man, Puttin on the Style, Does You Chewing Gum... and ends with My Old Mans a Dustman.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 December 2013
Having encountered 'Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour...?' on a Christmas compilation a few weeks ago and having then found myself playing that song literally dozens of times in the period since, it did seem pretty much inevitable that a little something purely devoted to Lonnie Donegan's work would be winging its way to my home sooner rather than later. Once I had decided on this particular mix, it then became imperative for me to get my hands on it as soon as was humanly possible. That meant shelling out way more than the price of this disc in order to meet and greet Mr Donegan at my door the very next day. Which, in turn, meant that I was forced to make a few other purchases to accompany Lonnie on his expedited travels, purely to justify the expensive consequences of so desperately wanting to take possession of these eighteen songs.

I think I might love Lonnie Donegan, you know. I mean look - not only was he a great musician who really brought a lot of fun and happiness to his listeners... but even now, years after he passed, he can absolve me of all guilt for the eventual pain to my wallet that the parcel that brought him to me ultimately inflicted.

I don't much care for the appalling standard of the sleeve notes associated with this disc though; surely someone of Lonnie's stature ought to have been allowed to bring at least a few snippets of personal or professional information along with him? Instead, we have eight little pictures of eight other CDs by other artists entirely which we can send for should the mood ever take us. I wouldn't mind, but it doesn't even have any real information about them! There is no way of knowing, from this feebly inadequate piece of glossy paper, when the eighteen songs we're interested in were recorded. And there is certainly no information as to what dizzy heights they may have reached in any charts. I know the internet can provide everything I could possibly wish for in that regard but, even so, it doesn't make for a very good first impression of something that is purporting to be a 'Hit Collection'.

Nevertheless, Lonnie Donegan's music was the reason I sent for this and his music is really quite fabulous. I'm developing rather a penchant for 'Bring a Little Water, Sylvie' which does at least mean I have two songs that seem to be playing wherever I am at the moment, almost constantly. Oh, and I mustn't forget 'Rock Island Line' and 'Puttin' On The Style' as well. They're my four favourites, although there's nothing on here that could ever be described as being 'rubbish'.

The music is simple but incredibly catchy. It is absolutely impossible for me to listen to 'Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavour...?' for instance without finding my toes tapping along to it quite independently. But that is relatively harmless, compared to the effect that songs like 'Puttin' On The Style' seem to have on me. Not to put too fine a point on it... they make me sing, ladies and gentlemen. Well, they make me think I can sing at any rate. That's another example of Lonnie Donegan's epic powers right there. My singing attempts have been likened to those of Hylda Baker warbling 'You're the One That I Want' during that infamous appearance on 'Top of The Pops' way back in 1978 which is, quite clearly, absolutely no kind of compliment; to either one of us really, now I come to think of it.

I've got a small wager on you heading over to YouTube now in order to check out precisely which musical horror show I'm talking about. No? Oh well, that must be me then. Please remember though, if you do decide to watch it... what has been seen cannot be unseen!
on 17 July 2017
Husband adores Lonnie Donegan I am not a fan unfortunely.
on 5 February 2013
A wonderful collection of the 'Classic Lonnie Donegan' I love it and would recommend it all you enthusiasts young and old.
on 6 August 2014
I think I reviewed this CD before. It is great if you are of a certain age. The music is fresh and amusing and is played well, with a tongue-in-cheek approach. I recommend it to the young to see where modern music came from !
on 21 January 2013
Good old days of music very good.I t brought back some memerories of of days gone by. you can sing along to the songs
on 21 March 2014
Bought for my mother who is in a care home, suffering fro dementia. Playing this has been a real joy for her as she has some memories of the times when this was ' top of the pops' we play it constantly when we visit and it helps to calm her, and it brings a little bit of our mum back!
on 4 February 2013
At last I have all the hits I wanted of him on one disc I can now store the records in the loft.
on 2 December 2013
This was a present for my husbands 71st birthday.He remembers Lonnie in the 60's, "when there were songs you could sing along to"
Need I say more?
on 24 February 2014
Some great songs on here from Lonnie, as with all greatest hits there will always be some that are less favourite, easy to programme out on modern cd players