Format: Audio CD|Change

on 30 May 2011
"Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" the third studio album from Kentucky rockers Black Stone Cherry is possibly their strongest collection of songs yet, fuelled with heavy guitar riffs, melodic rhythms and in places some very poignant lyrics.

Working with renowned rock producer Howard Benson, Black Stone Cherry stay true to their traditional southern sound, opening track and lead single "White Trash Millionaire" is a decent opener, but perhaps not for me as strong as previous singles from their first two albums.
Elsewhere, melodic uptempo rockers "Killing Floor" and "Such A Shame" follow in a similar vein, before the fantastic "Blame It On The Boom Boom" shows up at track six, without doubt one the catchiest songs the band has written and should easily be the albums second single.

There's the traditional ballads to boot, a couple of mid-tempo ones in tracks "In My Blood" and "Won't Let Go," but the strongest and most emotional song is "Stay," you'll get the idea with lyrics like "I'd sell my soul just to see your face and I'd break my bones just to heal your pain."

The album closes with the acoustic filled "All I'm Dreamin Of," it almost moves with a slight country twang, a slower song with again some heartfelt lyrics.
If you've brought the deluxe version though you'll get three extra tracks, heavy rocker "Staring St The Mirror" ballad "Fade Away" and one final rocker "Die For You." Although all decent tracks in their own right, nothing strong enough in my opinion to place ahead of the twelve albums tracks.

In summary, "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" is an excellent record, full of heavy southern rock with lyrics about the ups and downs of everyday life, it's a record that any rock fan should enjoy.
It's quite short though, most of the tracks just about creep over the three minute mark, no track here comes close to touching five minutes - but I'll take quality over quantity any day.

The phrase "Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea" means an undesirable dilemma, which isn't something you should apply to this record. Dilemma over, without doubt it comes highly recommended.

Best Tracks "Stay," "Blame It On The Boom Boom" "Such A Shame"
1010 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2011
I was very excited when I heard that Black Stone Cherry had released a new album and bought it as soon as I could. Having bought the first two albums (and loved them both) I was expecting more of the same - blues tinted heavy rock that is in your face and offers no apologies, foot stomping hard rock fun!

Unfortunately, having listened to this album a good 4-5 times I find that BSC have lost their edge. I remember a few years back I was discussing BSC with a friend and they said that BSC sound 'way too much like Nickelback' which I thought was preposterous at the time, however this album reminds of Nickleback more every time I listen to it. It is radio friendly 'make me lots of money' rock which just doesn't appeal to me. None of the songs get anywhere near the hard rock greatness achieved on their first two efforts; it reeks of an album that was written with the aim of getting mass radio airplay. Nothing wrong with that in essence, the guys gotta make a buck, but it is not my kind of music.

I bought the special edition with 15 tracks but unfortunately none of the songs really grabbed my attention. White Trash Millionaire, the album's opening song, had the same feel as 'Rockstar' by Nickelback, or something Kid Rock would have penned, whereas the lyrics in 'Blame it on the Boom Boom' reminded me of Metallica's Frantic in how disappointed I was with the simplicity of the lyrics (All together now "When I'm giving you the boom boom/Yeah don't wake up in the morning/In somebody else's room room/Blame it on the boom boom" - sounds more like a Britney song).

The songwriting is predictable and the lyrics are, well, basic at best. There don't seem to be the intricacies of previous albums or the lyrical excellence that I enjoyed before. Overall this is an album that will appeal to many people, but I am not one of them. It is a shame really and I hope they will be back to proper hard rock on their next effort.
66 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2011
So firsts things first, I'm a huge Black Stone Cherry fan. They're up there with my top 3 bands and so ultimately this review is going to be biased, I'm not going to deny this. Now to the album. At first listen I'll be honest, I was a little disapointed. In the three years between this and BSC's second album the band racked up more plays than anyone else on my iPod and I think as a result of this my expectations were sky high. However, far from not hitting these heights, the album simply took a few listens to grow on me. Now I can safely say that it is my favourite BSC album and I simply cannot stop listening. Heavy riffs and Robertsons simply outstandning voice makes the album infectious once it grows on you, and the trademark slower songs once again pull on the heart strings and get the emotions going. Big chorus's leave you singing the songs hours after the album finishes. From here I'm going to explore the album track by track. If you're not a fan of those kind of reviews then skip to the end where I'll give a brief summary of everything.

So the album kicks off with the first single White Trash Millionaire, which most have probably heard. The main riff is fantastic, simple and strong. For me its Robertson's vocals which make this song particularly special. From the simple way he sings the line "nobody taught me, I was born this way", to his bellowing of the chorus, he lifts this song to great heights and it's a strong opener.

Killing Floor follows on and is the longest song of the album, at only 4 minutes long. The opening to this song is ominous and sets up the crunching main riff which carrys the song along. The chorus is classic BSC, simple and addictive. A great little breakdown following the solo sets the song up to burst back in to top gear. A great track.

In My Blood comes next. This is BSC in fine form, with a chorus which has a real feel good factor and is one that really sticks in your head. Robertson again lifts the song with powerful vocals. A great little solo on this track too.

Such A Shame is track number 4 and opens wth a riff which would fit like a glove on an Alter Bridge album. It then moves on to a Nickelback-esque feeling (not a bad thing in my opinion, others may disagree) as it tells its story of a neglected 'little girl' who meets an untimely demise. A real simple track, very effectively executed.

Wont Let Go next and another clasic BSC feel good track, reminiscent of Peace is Free and You. The lyrics are easy to relate to and as such it is a very enjoyable song to sing along to. Some great backing vocals on this one.

Blame It On The Boom Boom sits in the middle of the 12 main tracks and is an early favourite for me. A track about sex (or 'boom boom') it's very tongue in cheek with a memorable if somewhat cheesy chorus (come on it is rock 'n' roll we don't always need to be serious). There's some brilliant guitar work on this, the track is really enjoyable.

Like I Roll takes off where Wont Let Go left off. A great feel good track again, particularly reminiscent of Rollin' On from the self titled debut. I've no doubt this will get a lot of plays on the iPod.

Can't You See brings back the heavy riffs and Southern blues influence of BSC's music. A great headbanging riff follows the chorus, which itself isn't the best on the album but still remains strong. A nice little solo on this track.

Let Me See You shake next and once again Chris Robertson gives the song that extra bit of oomph for me which makes it really enjoyable. There's also a fantastic breakdown and solo to look forward to in this song.

Stay comes up next and it's another Nickelback-esque slower song which is emotional, much like Things My Father Said but arguably not as strong a song. Nevertheless it's classic BSC and if you've liked everything so far this won't disapoint.

Change is the penultimate song of the standard tracks. The big riffs come back again, with another opening reminiscent of Alter Bridge. The chorus gives a feeling of Bitter End and is another one that stays in the head for a while. Great breakdown and solo left this song in the middle.

All I'm Dreaming Of finishes the standard album and we return to Peace Is Free teritory, as Robertson preaches of dreaming of a better world. Another one that's easy to relate to and the Southern sound lurks in the background. I can see this one being a good sing-along live.

Now we come to the bonus tracks of the speacial edition. First up is Staring At The Mirror. This is a fantastic song, some great riffs and a fantastic chorus with Robertson performing to the best of his abilities. I particularly like the riff that accompanies the end of the chorus, it gives the song so much power. In my opinion this really should have been one of the standard albums 12 tracks, though I wouldn't like to decide which I would drop to make room!

Next up is Fade Away. A great acoustic lead song which once again delves into BSC's softer side. The chorus is particularly strong and once again Robertson makes the song memorable with his vocals.

Finally then we have Die For You. This is classic BSC reminiscnet of perhaps Shooting Star. A great riff once again follows the chorus and really gets the headbanging. Another great breakdown lifts the song and great backing vocals really polish the track. The three bonus tracks are very strong and I'm glad I purchased the special edition, my advise to accomplished BSC fans and newcomers alike would be to do the same.

In conclusion then this album is BSC in outstanding form. Though it took a little while to grow on me as much as it has, I believe it definitely deserves a listen and sitts perfectly alongside the bands oustanding first two albums. Blame It On The Boom Boom, In My Blood, snd bonus trak Staring At The Mirror are particular standouts for me, but the album is strong throughout. BSC are an amazing hard rock band, which this album only serves to confirm. Buy it, crank up the volume, and enjoy!!
on 31 May 2011
BSC's first two studio albums were almost identical in terms of consistency, originality and sound. Both were filled with rich, hard-hitting guitar riffs and fantastically soulful vocals. The band managed to get over the hump of the ominous second album, a stumbling block for many. Crack the second album and you're probably the real deal. There are few rock bands out there today that can sustain that progress into a third album, but BSC have done just that. This album delivers on every front, the riffs are heavy, the content is original and the sound picks up exactly where the last album left off. One could shuffle the content of all 3 albums and nothing would be out of place.

The listener is sucked into the groove about 10 seconds after pressing the play button, "White Trash Millionaire" immediately emerges has an anthem and you will struggle not to bang your head to the beat of this track. Other stand out tracks are "Killing Floor", "Such a Shame" and "Blame it on the Boom Boom". It is clear that the band has put a lot of work into this album, not only with regards to inception, the post-production is first class as well. There is virtually no fat - every riff, every solo and every lyric warrants it's place. Frankly the band couldn't have done a better job with the follow up considering the quality of the first two albums. They have also managed to evolve ever so slightly without negatively impacting their style - Chris is somewhat more experimental and pushes himself to the edge and there are more backing vocals than on previous creations which also add to the feel of a very polished product, however none of that trade mark original raw colourful rock sound has been lost.

This album re-confirms BSC as one of the best rock bands on the planet today, and arguably one of the most under-rated. Let's hope there are plenty more like this on the way. Buy this album, press play and see how long you manage to hold on for before you crank up the volume and relentlessly bang your head along to the sound of John smacking that snare.
on 31 May 2011
Since the album surprised me by turning up a few days early, I have had a chance to give it a few spins. I must say, I am pretty impressed. Their self-titled album was the first one I got, and like perhaps with a lot of bands, it remains a benchmark for them to try and match. Have they done it? No, perhaps not (or maybe that is unfair and I am being biased!), but this is still a good CD.

Blame it on the Boom Boom, White Trash Millionaire, Killing Foor, Stay, and Change are all fantastic songs (must also include the bonus track Fade Away), and worthy additions to the BSC stable.

What make a typical BSC song? Bluesy (and ballsy) crunching guitars, slamming drums, and Chris Roberston's deep booming vocals. This album is so full of Les Paul goodness I feel like a better player just by having it near me.

Great Southern rock from a great band.
on 22 February 2012
This is the third Black Stone Cherry album and it builds on the first 2 albums. The tone is much the same I terms of e blend of rock tracks v's ballads and I challenge you to not tap your feet to blame it on the boom boom, or, Indeed the title track white trash millionaire

That being said -perhaps it is a little bit too samey in places. Here are a couple of sections where I struggled to work out whether or not we had changed track. While I accept that a band has a sound , there does need to be some variety.

All that being said I would still recommend the album if you like a bit of southern rock
on 9 October 2011
There are some great rock bands around here in 2011. Black Stone Cherry being one of them!!! I was looking forward to this album from the Kentucky rockers, especially after the first two cracking albums! (You know the ones) Being a courier I have plenty of time to listen to my cd`s in my cab. I have played this one quite a bit and I have to say this is a weak album compared to the the first two? As an old rocker aged 48 I have seen and heard many great albums over the years and this band are up there with the best!! The thing I have noticed over the years of buying rock music and going to the gigs etc, is the first and sometimes the second album are usually devastating? They hit you like a freight train and stay with you for life!! I understand a band like BSC cannot keep putting out albums like there first one which was powerful and rocked from start to finish. Bands progress and try different things and they usually become better players too. But this album doesn't seem to get going to me? The opening track is typical Cherry with the old drive and purpose. then it seems to just plod along at a stop start pace. What I mean is you get a ballad or mid-paced song then a faster one thrown in every now and then? Like I said earlier I have given it a good listen but it just doesn't do it for me like the fist two Cherry albums. I still play the fist two on a regular basis but I don't think I will be with this one??? I am hoping that when I go to see them live in Leeds at the O2 academy I may change my mind about this album. I am not saying don't buy this album I am just saying this old rocker thinks its a bit weaker than the first two? But what I will also say is this band are brilliant and would have held there own during the glory years of rock in the 80s...Enjoy but don't expect to be blown away...Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2011
It's impossible to imagine BSC getting any better. With this album they are touching perfection as a rock band. Just a quick note for anyone under thirty: the term `rock' as applied to music does not include My Chemical Romance, Fallout Boy, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters or any other derivative pop act about as edgy and innovative as a chipshop meal. Just listen to BSC to truly grasp this. The only other current contender I can think of for such a potent blend of power and melody is Wolfmother (Halestorm is primarily a metal outfit, otherwise they too might bear comparison). Just think Shinedown on steroids.

I'd approached `Between ..' with considerable trepidation, given the daunting legacy of the previous two titanic albums After all, anyone who's ever heard `Things my father said' is fully aware that BSC is a band endowed with great depth and versatility - a very high standard that's hard to maintain. However I was more than pleasantly blown away. Every track here is a gem, brimming over with that trademark snarling, growling guitar wall of sound bolstering consistently magnificent songs of exceptional range. Every time I hear `Between ..' it sounds special, because it is. It seems unfair to single out any tracks but `Can't you see' could be the foot-stomping killer, as majestic as `Rollin' on', closely followed by `Killing floor' and `Let me see you shake'.

Black Stone Cherry are the real deal, a 21st century classic, and `Between the devil and the deep blue sea' consolidates their deserved reputation as such.
on 13 October 2016
You know when buy an album and there isn't a bad track on it? Well this is one of them!
They are all great musicians and Chris Robertson has got just the perfect voice for this genre of music, he totally shines on this album in particular. If I had to pick out a few highlights, I would go for 'White trash Millionaire', 'Blame it on the Boom Boom', 'All I'm Dreamin' Of' and especially 'Like I Roll'. I love Lynyrd Skynyrd and I would safely say this is up there with anything they have ever done.
on 6 September 2011
Yet another good loud album from BSC. Worth buying. Shipping fast. Great Band, so if you haven't heard of them before buy this album you will not be disappointed