Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop now

on 8 June 2011
I was very excited when I heard that Black Stone Cherry had released a new album and bought it as soon as I could. Having bought the first two albums (and loved them both) I was expecting more of the same - blues tinted heavy rock that is in your face and offers no apologies, foot stomping hard rock fun!

Unfortunately, having listened to this album a good 4-5 times I find that BSC have lost their edge. I remember a few years back I was discussing BSC with a friend and they said that BSC sound 'way too much like Nickelback' which I thought was preposterous at the time, however this album reminds of Nickleback more every time I listen to it. It is radio friendly 'make me lots of money' rock which just doesn't appeal to me. None of the songs get anywhere near the hard rock greatness achieved on their first two efforts; it reeks of an album that was written with the aim of getting mass radio airplay. Nothing wrong with that in essence, the guys gotta make a buck, but it is not my kind of music.

I bought the special edition with 15 tracks but unfortunately none of the songs really grabbed my attention. White Trash Millionaire, the album's opening song, had the same feel as 'Rockstar' by Nickelback, or something Kid Rock would have penned, whereas the lyrics in 'Blame it on the Boom Boom' reminded me of Metallica's Frantic in how disappointed I was with the simplicity of the lyrics (All together now "When I'm giving you the boom boom/Yeah don't wake up in the morning/In somebody else's room room/Blame it on the boom boom" - sounds more like a Britney song).

The songwriting is predictable and the lyrics are, well, basic at best. There don't seem to be the intricacies of previous albums or the lyrical excellence that I enjoyed before. Overall this is an album that will appeal to many people, but I am not one of them. It is a shame really and I hope they will be back to proper hard rock on their next effort.
66 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 November 2011
I read a review of this album which had as it's main argument that this album has been over-produced. I'm not sure what others not affected by this review may feel, but having noticed it, most songs are no different to other post-grunge bands such as Saving Abel or Theory of a Deadman... save for Chris Robertson's unmistakable voice.

The review generally noted that the bass was under-played, but not as much as Ben Wells' lead guitar. I find this to be true - in a couple of songs especially, the solos in particular are quiet and difficult to pick out every note over the sound of drums.

Aside from this, the album itself is very catchy, with a wide range of good numbers from hard-rocking 'White Trash Millionaire' to the driving tune 'Like I Roll' to the metallic 'Killing Floor'.

I would recommend this to a Black Stone Cherry fan as it's still BSC, say no more! But to newer fans, I'd advise buying either of the earlier two albums. Nonetheless this band will go far, and I wouldn't be surprised if this were to become their most profitable album. And finally, despite easily leading the field in the post-grunge/American rock genres, I hold a hope that their next album will go back to their raw, untouched, deep south roots. For the sake of becoming legend.
on 6 September 2011
Yet another good loud album from BSC. Worth buying. Shipping fast. Great Band, so if you haven't heard of them before buy this album you will not be disappointed
on 21 June 2011
"Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea', is the third studio album from Kentucky natives Black Stone Cherry. It is by far the bands most commercial release, but that isn't to say the band has lost any of their southern rock groove. In fact the band have progressed both lyrically and musically since the release of their sophomore effort `Folklore & Superstition' back in 2008. Thealbum, produced by Howard Ronson, has been one of this year's most anticipated rock albums and defiantly exceeds the fan expectation with a mixture of rock ballads and head-banging tracks.

The album has memorable choruses with Kentucky fuelled riffage helping it surpass the standard of common mainstream rock radio, especially with the track 'Like I roll'. `Like I Roll' is a musical work of art, with the a feel good chorus and upbeat tempo, it's a song to roll down that sunroof, crank up the car stereo and drive down the open road.

Black Stone Cherry has developed musically and lyrically, although touched on a mainstream radio sound, with the injection of groove cutting rock riffs the band holds on to their signature southern sound with this third studio release.
on 3 June 2011
Ok, I'll admit when I first listened to this album, I wasn't particularly impressed,

I wasn't impressed because it is 'Lighter' than their previous releases. The opening track "White Trash Millionaire" is a crunching opening song, I love it. it has a distinct Black Label Society feeling about it, Other tracks I particularly enjoy are: "Blame It On The Boom Boom", "Such A Shame", "Killing Floor", "Can't You See", "Let Me See You Shake".

"Change", the latter deserves a mention as the opening part of the song definitely sets this down as the continuation of the bands self titled 2006 release's "Lonely Train".

The album is good from start to finish, competently played as it should be ,
my only gripes about the album is that some of the tracks definitely have a generic nothing new feel about them, this is the only stumbling block for the album. Also it sounds as if the previously brilliant drumming by John Fred Young has been reigned in a bit too much and is a bit boring at times,

A very good album overall though.
on 5 June 2011
I have always quite liked BSC but the earlier albums seemed to consist of some great tracks but a lot of filler. But this is not only the strongest release by this band, but one of the best releases this year so far.

The real charm to this album is that they have made their most memorable album, filled with non-stop killer tracks, but it is also by far the heaviest album they have released. There southern tinged sound is stronger than ever, and even the ballads such as "Stay" work because there is so much emotion invested into them. But All I'm Dreamin' Of is an incredible song that builds though out an almost claustrophobic atmosphere to an abrupt climax that somehow leaves you wondering where they will evolve to next. While the bonus tracks here are very good, they don't seem as strong as the main albums tracks, but none the less are great sing along tunes. I look forward to hearing where they go next, but if the strength of this album is a shape of things to come, things are looking very bright for BSC indeed
on 31 May 2011
BSC's first two studio albums were almost identical in terms of consistency, originality and sound. Both were filled with rich, hard-hitting guitar riffs and fantastically soulful vocals. The band managed to get over the hump of the ominous second album, a stumbling block for many. Crack the second album and you're probably the real deal. There are few rock bands out there today that can sustain that progress into a third album, but BSC have done just that. This album delivers on every front, the riffs are heavy, the content is original and the sound picks up exactly where the last album left off. One could shuffle the content of all 3 albums and nothing would be out of place.

The listener is sucked into the groove about 10 seconds after pressing the play button, "White Trash Millionaire" immediately emerges has an anthem and you will struggle not to bang your head to the beat of this track. Other stand out tracks are "Killing Floor", "Such a Shame" and "Blame it on the Boom Boom". It is clear that the band has put a lot of work into this album, not only with regards to inception, the post-production is first class as well. There is virtually no fat - every riff, every solo and every lyric warrants it's place. Frankly the band couldn't have done a better job with the follow up considering the quality of the first two albums. They have also managed to evolve ever so slightly without negatively impacting their style - Chris is somewhat more experimental and pushes himself to the edge and there are more backing vocals than on previous creations which also add to the feel of a very polished product, however none of that trade mark original raw colourful rock sound has been lost.

This album re-confirms BSC as one of the best rock bands on the planet today, and arguably one of the most under-rated. Let's hope there are plenty more like this on the way. Buy this album, press play and see how long you manage to hold on for before you crank up the volume and relentlessly bang your head along to the sound of John smacking that snare.
on 21 July 2011
Following the masterpiece that was Folklore & Superstition, Between the Devil & the Deep Blue Sea certainly had a lot to live up to...and it certainly doesn't disappoint! I hadn't listened to any samples before purchasing this album - I loved the last album so much, there wasn't any doubt about getting this one. The whole album is packed with quality southern rock songs, almost a rollercoaster of emotions with heavy riffs through to heartwrenching ballads. While they haven't lost any of their southern rawness, it seems like a lot of time has been spent perfecting every song on the album, ensuring that each is of the highest quality. There's not a single track that lets down the album, and I would be happy in saying that this is probably their best work to date. It's definitely one of the best albums in my collection.
on 31 May 2011
Since the album surprised me by turning up a few days early, I have had a chance to give it a few spins. I must say, I am pretty impressed. Their self-titled album was the first one I got, and like perhaps with a lot of bands, it remains a benchmark for them to try and match. Have they done it? No, perhaps not (or maybe that is unfair and I am being biased!), but this is still a good CD.

Blame it on the Boom Boom, White Trash Millionaire, Killing Foor, Stay, and Change are all fantastic songs (must also include the bonus track Fade Away), and worthy additions to the BSC stable.

What make a typical BSC song? Bluesy (and ballsy) crunching guitars, slamming drums, and Chris Roberston's deep booming vocals. This album is so full of Les Paul goodness I feel like a better player just by having it near me.

Great Southern rock from a great band.
on 4 April 2012
Simply - a fantastic album! I have had it now for the last couple of weeks and can't stop playing it! I am a newcomer to BSC and I feel slightly aggrieved I have only just found them! The style is classic rock - Lynyrd Skynyrd of their time and that is no mean feat! I know some people will say they have "sold out" with this album as there are quite a few radio friendly songs on here. However, I disagree, I have downloaded all the albums and it just seems a natural progression for a group of very accomplished musicians. This album is a more polished affair, but the great riffs and licks are still there and the vocals are fantastic.

If rock is your genre listen and enjoy!