Customer reviews

Showroom Of Compassion
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 January 2011
After 7 years or so, the new Cake album doesn't disappoint. It's up there with Fashion Nugget and Comfort Eagle. Although not exactly breaking new ground, there is progression. A bit of vocal effects("Federal Funding" - surely Primal Scream will cover this at some point), some piano (on the fantastic instrumental "Teenage Pregnancy")or bonus string quartet ("Italian Guy"). With lyrics that mean something (whether you agree with the occasional bit of politics or not) and tunes that slowly drill their way into your brain ("Sick of You" is infuriatingly catchy), Cake do what they do best: write great songs. Yes, they still have the same gnarly guitar sound, the lone trumpet, the deadpan vocals, random back-of-the-studio shouts, the vibraslap and driving basslines. So what? They sound great.
on 27 January 2012
I love CAKE, really I do... I cannot play guitar, drums or trumpet, write music, OK I got grade 5 piano BUT I know a good album when I hear one and I'm afraid this isn't one from CAKE. I really wanted it to be good like Fashion Nugget or Pressure Chief, but I find this album hard to get into and it's unlikely to get played much by me. Sure there are a couple of good tracks but there aren't enough of them. CAKE have always been fun, why the politics, why open an album with Federal Funding? Earlier albums are loaded with solid tunes with clever and irreverent lyrics about cars, love and girls (they remain the only band I've heard to crowbar 'testicles' into a song's lyrics). Fans will disagree (obviously), but if you want to get into CAKE try the early stuff it's great, this is below their high standards. Sorry..... don't hate me.....
on 1 January 2015
If you don't know Cake (and if you are UK based you may well not) you should know their influences are only the very best: The Beatles, Talking Heads, Nirvana, Beck... yup, it's all in here mashed up and ready to serve.
The combination of catchy grooves & humour is really hard to resist. So, don't!
on 17 October 2011
Great album - heard "Long time" whilst over in France and had to get the album, never heard of them before but love the eclectic nature of the songs.
on 31 December 2012
Big fan of Cake.
Might take time to appreciate
Maybe not so well known in UK but well worth a listen
on 29 January 2012
I love the band Cake and I love this album.
If you love Cake, you'll probably love this album too.
If you've never heard of Cake, then I have no idea what you'll think - sorry about that.
Perhaps you should buy it to find out, they might just become your new favourite band (no guarantees, though).