Customer reviews

Survivors: Our Story
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.74

on 10 January 2012
I bought this book for my mother who is named in Bernie's chapter, which really made my mums day. I just so happen to be the one who is still her best friend till this day. Brilliant book & makes a great read because its ALL true!!!!!
on 2 August 2013
This book does what it says on the tin. Because each sister is telling their own story of their life in show business a lot of it overlaps as they were having the same experiences. It is a very simply written book. I dont want to say anything negative about the book because I feel these girls did not have anything like a normal life. If you forget that you know them so well from being in the public eye,and just view their story as a story of a large family growing up, you might say they were all abused in some way. They never had a good nights sleep when they were young because they were out singing every night and did not get to bed until 2 or 3 am. They were then sent off to school each morning and from I can read this was just taken for granted and no sympathy was ever shown to them.None of them had a proper education and I felt that this made them make some bad choices in later life They all spoke of their love for their Father who struck me as a horrible man and a bully. He was violent, beat their mother and actually sexually abused his oldest daughter. He should have been in jail instead of out crooning Frank Sinatra songs in working mens clubs! He drove them all home from gigs while he was drunk.I think the girls are all still under his influence in their heads because he is now passed away and they still cannot see too much bad in him. This puzzled me a lot. Maybe this is the real message of the book, that you can never off lay family abuse!
on 25 April 2012
Good easy reading with real honesty by the family. The chapters are so easy to follow and although there is lots of sadness there is also some good humour along the way and l admire each member of the family for being so open and honest about their lives. Some of the stories are truly inspirational and as l have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer myself, the sharing of both Linda's and Bernie's experiences have been a great inspiration. In particular Bernie's openess and truthful account of her cancer journey, which is so similiar to the one l am currently experiencing has been a great comfort and support to myself and even after finishing the book l often find myself referring back to Bernie's chapters. Bernie's and Linda's courage, strength and positivity is so admirable and l would really recommend others in a similiar situation to read their stories.
Overall, a very good and well written book which l enjoyed reading and one which did not disappoint.
on 15 May 2011
I have read all of the Nolans biographies and have enjoyed every one of them but this more than the others,its really good to have 4 of them writing about their own experiences in the same time zone
on 17 April 2011
wow unable to put down its about them at home not to on the road i cried and laughed, the love,and determenation shines through in all of them,they are there for each other .any fan like me from the middle 70s who have grown up following their careers ,this is for them to read and enjoy
on 17 April 2011
Having been a fan of the Nolans for 20+ years, I pre ordered this from Amazon in Jan, I knew that the book would contain a lot of information I already knew, however it was compelling reading, sadly I had to put it down at 2:30am to sleep, but was able to read it all this morning.

The book is filled with moments that made me laugh out loud, cry, and at times made me think "wow"

A must have for any Nolans fan, or anyone that wonders how after so long in the business, they just brush away all the dramas and get on with it.
on 2 June 2012
i have been a fan of the nolans for more than 30 years.so this book was a must.i have only just received it,but what i have read upto now, it's really good.it's just a shame that such a talented bunch of girls have had such tragedies and upsets.thankfully i will be meeting coleen in a couple of weeks.yay!! lol.i would recommend this book wheather you're a fan or not.
on 10 August 2011
Having been a Nolans fan since the age of 9 (a long time ago, over 30 years!) I couldn't wait to get this book. I absolutely loved reading about the early years through to the present day. I found it so interesting and so touching, what with some of the things that the sisters have had to deal with. Would highly recommend, a great read and insight into their lives.
on 31 December 2012
My friend bought me this due to the title 'survivor'. I had never mentioned the word Nolan to her in my life so wondered why she'd bought it for me. Well, I am so glad she did. Was one of the best biographies I have ever read. A real insight into their lives and their backgrounds. Only negative is that when I see Shane Richie on the TV I think ''cheater''....! :)
on 22 April 2011
I pre-ordered this as soon as I could as I've been a fan for over 30 years. Once I'd started reading I found it difficult to put down and what started as a quick 10 minute read actually lasted 3 hours! A fantastic read that made me cry and laugh. It's hard not to want to feel sorry for them as they have been through so much but they are all so strong and have managed to cope with the situation, keep smiling and move on.