Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more

on 26 December 2016
Tom Sawyer like every child just wants to be free, adventurous, moral, and intelligent. Born in the heart of the South, in Missouri, Tom, an orphan, lives with his Aunt Polly and cousins and loves to play hooky so he can go fishing.

First published in 1876, it portrays childhood during the mid-19th century in an affectionate but realistic way. Twain's characters are full of wild ideas and antics that sometimes get them into trouble. The novel is an extremely enjoyable one, full of humour and suspense, you can see why Sawyer like so much of Twain’s work has become not just a classic but a crucial part of the canon of English Literature.
on 22 August 2013
Hahaha! This was my very first introduction to the world of Mark Twain and what a wonderful and marvellous introduction it is!
The book is a beautiful rendering of a very mischievous, precocious and clever little boy who, like a little boys, have a great love for adventure, fun and mischief. The things he gets up to, the way he thinks things through and the way he acts on his thoughts is absolutely hilarious and so very endearing at times.
In this day and age where children are now swamped with the latest electronic gadget (iPhone, iPad, xBox, Wii, etc), they have really forgotten what it is like to experience the simple joys of life where even a chipped marble or an apple core is considered big currency. In this book, children run about, invent games and plots, mimic their heroes and villains in acts of make-believe and get up to the most incredible scrapes and emerge stronger and smarter for it. Modern children are missing out!
Anyway, Mark Twain writes this book in an easy, affable and eminently readable way so please don't be intimidated by the fact that it is a classic ( and 'hence the writing must be heavy and old'). It is a great, easy and fun read, and one which I love going back to again and again, even if it just to vicariously live out my childhood days in that innocent, sweet and naive way again.
on 23 January 2017
Read the adventures of Tom Sawyer years after reading them for the first time and they are still wonderful to read, displaying Mark Twain's literary skillls at their best. Great to be able to get these collections digitally and read them one after another. Great storytelling.
on 4 September 2013
Although an old book it was a very enjoyable read with many of the adventures being ones which children would not be able to partake in now - such as digging for buried treasure in haunted houses, and playing pirates on the Mississippi River and getting lost within cave groups. The use of charms and incantations to prevent things such as warts made me laugh quite a lot as well as other superstitions such as Tom not being able to swim due to him losing his rattle snake bracelet from his ankle.

It's quite politically incorrect at times, but you need to think about the time it was written, the fact it is set in the US south and take it all with a pinch of salt (if you're easily offended, and don't like the use of certain words I probably wouldn't read it). I had to read some of the characters such as the servant Jims parts out loud and I couldn't convert his accent in my mind, highlighting the illiteracy of the character. I really liked the sense of freedom it instilled and made me wish I could be a child again.
on 1 June 2017
It's great to catch up with classics on Kindle - especially when they are free!

I enjoyed re-reading this but found the phonetic spelling (to indicate accents) wearing. In the end, I gave up and skimmed through a lot of the denser dialogue. I guess Mark Twain was writing for an audience who read aloud and wanted a novel to take its time.
on 25 September 2015
Classic book which I enjoyed as a child and now I get to enjoy reading it to my daughter as a bedtime story. Thrilled that classics like these have had a modern update and are available on Kindle devices.

I have always enjoyed getting caught up in all of the scrapes which Tom gets himself into, and then out of, and always wishing that I had the chance to go back to my youth and enjoy it all over again.

All time classic, five stars without a doubt.
on 22 May 2017
A masterpiece that any budding writer would do well to study. The story of a young, imaginative, and exuberant boy overflowing with mischief, energy, and charisma moves deftly from hysterically funny to poignant and moving in the build-up to the main event in which a child's flights of fancy unfolds into a thrilling, spine-tingling, life or death adventure. Children and adults alike will love this forever.
on 22 February 2015
I can't quite recall when I last read Tom Sawyer, been decades but the events chronicled have stayed with me over the years. As a kid I remember how I loved all of Tom's escapades including a fascinating episode when Tom gets other boys to do his chores and PAY him for 'honor'. This is a timeless classic, humorous, thought provoking, with characters that jump of the pages. Of course the fact that the story is set in the 19th century means today's audience will wince at casual slurs about African and Native Americans in the novel. Nevertheless a must read!!
on 13 May 2015
I suppose the nearest English equivalent would be Just William, but this being American, it is on a larger scale and stage. Tales of one small boy and his gang against the world of adults, a world of adventure we may all wish we had lived but probably never existed outside our imaginations. A fun read for children of any age and a reminder to adults that youth should be enjoyed.
on 9 March 2012
This book brings back so many memories. I acted the part of Aunt Polly, in a musical of the same name, back in 1966!!! The words of the book begin just as the musical did, and I found myself shouting, and singing my way through the first chapters. I have been unable to read for a fortnight, but, I'm now fit, and ready to continue - but for old times sake, feel I must start at the beginning again. It brought home to me, now more mature!!! how things have not progressed in all the years, although we think we have. In some respects I almost dread carrying on reading, remembering how the book pans out. A nostalgic trip down memory lane.