Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 14 May 2016
A number of stories that we are all familiar with are here and many that we are not familiar with. This revision is from the late nineteenth century and the language is a little stilted in places. Often, the conclusion that the author draws does not follow from the fable or it is not the only conclusion that could be drawn. The author uses the term Reynard for the fox that is found in many of the fables but this term is drawn from the Northern European tradition of such stories. This text is not illustrated and I think it could have done with such especially if be read to children.
on 27 January 2014
I think I got this book with my Kindle app and started reading on the plane during a business trip. Wow, there are some powerful fables in that book. Full of wisdom.

Some familiar ones, but most of the 2298 fables were new for me. Most are short so it does not take much time, but is very interesting. Have memorised some to share with others. Here is one:

In a field one summer's day a Grasshopper was hopping about, chirping and singing to its heart's content. An Ant passed by, bearing along with great toil an ear of corn he was taking to the nest.
'Why not come and chat with me, said the Grasshopper, instead of toiling and moiling in that way?'
I am helping to lay up food for the winter, said the Ant, and recommend you to do the same.
Why bother about winter? said the Grasshopper; we have got plenty of food at present. But the Ant went on its way and continued its toil. When the winter came the Grasshopper had no food, and found itself dying of hunger, while it saw the ants distributing every day corn and grain from the stores they had collected in the summer.

Remember the Ant philosophy from Jim Rohn?
on 14 May 2017
This was like someone had done an internet search on Aesop's Fables and copied them to make a book. Some stories had the moral explained at the end but always very poorly. Mostly there was none. The stories themselves were not presented in an entertaining way it was more a matter of fact and very short. The only positive aspect was that there were a lot of fables. My aim was to find stories for my children to illustrate some "truths" about human nature . I am now aware of a lot more stories but this book is entirely unsuitable for the purpose. Also the "Illustrated" description is a bit deceptive. There are a number of pictures but they are just random landscapes and have no relevance to the content.
on 20 January 2016
What can u say! I am such a fan of Aesops Fables, and I have repeated so many of his fables to my children, but I still cannot get enough of reading these. To those who are not familiar with these, this is a brilliant and enlightening read. A MUST for all.
on 12 April 2014
I bought this as I remember reading fables as a young child. It was good to renew these and also lots of stories I didn't know. A good book to dip into and plenty of food for thought although Aesop wrote them years ago the morals are still applicable today. He was as wise as many of our public figures today if not more so! Enjoy this book and what we can learn from it.
on 28 December 2014
I have lived with Æsops Fables most of my like, but there are a great many I have never heard of read. I dip into this regularly and am delight with their telling. I would highly recommend this offering to every one. The pictures are a true representation of the originals.
on 17 March 2017
A good read, some familiar classic tales in here and some that I hadn't heard of. All good though!
on 10 August 2017
Very good book. Well presented and good text to read.
on 4 May 2017