on 18 September 2011
I've read a few of this 'Best of ...' type of book simply because they are free. Most are sufficient to ward off boredom.

This one was surprisingly good. It had the same old fashioned writing style and the stories were set in the 19th century. The stories were interesting though. I read them over a period of a week, never putting down my Kindle once I had started a story until I finished. They are all worth reading, giving you the background to the crime, an insight into the legal process [the French legal system in the 19th century was definitely different to UK law and resulted in the demise of the criminal based on hearsay], and drawing out the personalities of those involved.

Use the book as a Kindle filler and you will be rewarded.
on 2 September 2011
This book deals with criminals from the 19th century and so are not that well known, if they are known at all.I enjoy reading any murder/detective stories, whether true or fiction, and so found this book interesting. Unless the reader is interested in this type of thing then this is not for them.
on 10 September 2011
As a history book it was very good. It was however written in a strange and odd style which required some areas of re-reading to understand what was being said.
on 22 January 2012
I downloaded this book free looking for interesting titbits about nineteenth century crime. partly as research and partly for fun, and it provided exactly that. The style can seem stilted because it is closely based on old courtroom transcripts, but it is not a thriller and never pretended to be. My only problem was that I would have preferred a few more British crimes to read about - all the criminals discussed are French and that`s not clear in the description.
on 15 May 2015
had a burning desire to read up on remarkable criminals through the ages and countries. Nice to see they are not restricted to Britain. Bit stilted in writing but not too bad a read. I did learn something new as well. Well several things new. Reviewers please take note I may have learnt something new but am not about to put it into practice.
on 21 April 2012
What a waste of good kindle space, if I ever read anything totally useless before I don't remember it. What load of longwinded twaddle. There was 1 account that was as long as a novella, half of it was pointless. If you are a serious true crime buff give this book a miss. TRULY DIRE!!!!!!
on 2 October 2013
My first kindle download. Could be used as reference for criminology, a history of. Liked the dictionary reference on my device for there were quite a few words I needed to reference. Old fashioned words because this book is 150 years old or there abouts. Enjoyed the read.
on 23 June 2013
This is an old book and written in a very old fashioned way; this can be extremely off putting. Although the text can be considered more 'rambling' than a modern version, there is a sense of retreating into the past and viewing their conduct in the context of the day. Not to everyone's taste and, as such, I have given it three stars as a consequence.
on 20 June 2013
I really did not like this book, I deleted it after the first chapter! I thought it would tell me about proper criminals but all the author did was recite what he thought was going on inside criminal heads etc. Definitely would not recommend.
VINE VOICEon 13 November 2011
had this book had some decent editing. While the subject matter was fascinating, and I didn't mind the somewhat old fashioned language - as the book was from c1900 or thereabouts - it was very much a mishmash of notes and that should have been rectified before it was turned into an ebook. Still, it was a freebie, which I would expect as it is also available on the Net anyway verbatim. A little sprucing up though would have made all the difference to my enjoyment. As it was, I'd have been really miffed to have paid for it. Just because something is free doesn't mean it shouldn't be presented with care.