Customer reviews

Pro Tec Defender Screen Protector for Motorola Xoom - Clear
Style: Motorola Xoom|Colour: Clear|Change

on 4 May 2012
I've tried a number of mirrored protectors over the last few months from the cheapest to the most expensive.

I've been so impressed after using this screen protector over the last 24 hours that I've ordered a couple additional as spares. It is the first screen protector, mirrored or clear, that I've managed to install with a minimum of bubbles.

It is thinner than other mirrored protectors I've tried in the past, and allows more light through. It looks simply gorgeous when the Ipad's screen is viewed under artificial light with the brightness set to around 60%. The protector appears as a light sheen "floating" on the iPad's screen. There is virtual no "rainbow effect" when viewing the screen directly though there is minor distortion depending on how far you tilt. Other than that I found no obvious degradation to the quality of my iPad 3's display.

As with all mirrored screen protectors you will need to turn up the brightness - I found around 60% optimal for general indoor use. Be warned though that you may struggle to see the iPad's display in very bright sunlight. In general I would recommend that you not use a mirrored protector if you plan to use your iPad mostly outdoors.

Finally, in common with all mirrored protectors, it is a fingerprint magnet! Be prepared to clean it often with a microfibre cloth.

One slight detraction is that I found it somewhat difficult to write on with a stylus. The more expensive atFoliX FX-Mirror product definitely trumps it in this regard.

Overall I still believe it deserves 5 stars.
One person found this helpful
on 2 January 2013
This screen protector goes a little way to providing privacy. However, although the screen contents are distorted, the view is not really hidden much at all. I previously had a Macally 4-way reusable privacy screen overlay. I wanted to replace it since it was getting a little tatty (only after about 18 months). The Macally overlay doesn't stick to the complete screen, like the Pro-tec, but is held on by six 5p sized adhesive buttons. On a black iPad, they are slightly visible against the frame, but it looks fine. On a white iPad, the buttons are clearly visible, but if you can tolerate that, it's fine.

The Macally overlay is fantastic! If you not looking almost directly at the screen, the screen appears black! Excellent! Precisely what you need from a privacy filter. Aside from the visibility of the adhesive tabs, there are two slight downsides. Firstly, because it is not stuck down over the whole surface like a normal screen protector, the edges are susceptible to being caught and it eventually looks a bit tatty (which is why I wanted a change). Secondly, because it isn't stuck down over the whole screen, dust can get between it and the screen. However, this is no real problem since the overlay is easily removed and replaced (it's reusable, after all), so the screen can be cleaned as needed. In fact, if you don't need the privacy most of the time, you can leave the overlay off, only putting it on when you need it.

Having used the Pro-Tec screen protector for a couple of weeks, I'm scrapping it and replacing it with another Macally overlay!
on 30 January 2013
Not easy to position. Leaving lots of air bubbles that have to be pushed to the side. It was impossible to remove them all. Strange that there was dirt between the pro-tec protection and the playbook screen as I had just removed the original protection seconds before. I'm sure I didn't do anything wrong placing it!
on 9 January 2012
Well, I applied the protector exactly as specified in the instructions and although there are no bubbles, the protector has started peeling away from the bottom of my Xoom. This doesn't interfere with the touch screen and doesn't appear to be getting worse, however, it is unsightly and so have already ordered new different ones.
on 5 December 2010
After buying several pricacy screen protectors for my iPad, this is not that great but then again its not as bad as most out there where you just see lines and things look blury.
on 23 August 2011
Very easy to apply but the card provided bends and leaves air bubbles all over. Removing to re-apply is not possible because all stickiness is lost and places irremovable finger prints in the very corners where you've tried to be careful.

I wanted a screen protector, what I should have done is given ~£10 to drunk, it would have been better spent.