Customer reviews

Gentle on My Mind, by the Time I Get to Phoenix
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.74+ £1.26 shipping

#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 December 2014
These albums provided Glen Campbell with his breakthrough into the big time, containing his famous original recordings of Gentle on my mind and By the time I get to Phoenix, plus many other excellent recordings including Hey little one, which was reprised as the title track of his follow-up album to these two. Glen had been in the music business for almost ten years .before releasing the first of these albums and had released several solo country albums including a bluegrass albums. He had also done work as a session musician, playing guitar with Phil Spector's Wall of Sound, among others, so he wasn't an overnight success.

Much controversy has surrounded this particular re-issue, because BGO initially included Glen's cover of It's over (the Roy Orbison song) in place of It's over (the song by Jimmie Rodgers - not the singing brakeman, but the man who became famous in America for Honeycomb, and in the UK for English country garden). BGO have now corrected this error. I originally bought a copy with the Roy Orbison song on it, but BGO were very nice about it and I now have the correct version. Glen's cover of the Roy Orbison song was originally released on the album Hey little one, and as BGO also released that on CD, paired with Galveston, I have a copy of that too. The two identically titled songs are very different but both excellent.

Many of the other songs are cover versions too, but it was common practice at the time to fill an album with lots of covers. In those days, it was a common practice. Sales of singles were far more important in those days. Album sales took over in the seventies.

Among the other covers here are Catch the wind (Donovan), You're my world (originally an Italian song but a UK hit after translation for Cilla Black), Cryin' (Roy Orbison), Homeward bound (Simon and Garfunkel) and Bad seed (a top 10 country hit for Jan Howard).

These are two fantastic albums that finally launched Glen into the big time
on 20 September 2015

(Rod McKuen)
08 WITHOUT HER
(Harry Nilsson)
06 YOU'RE MY WORLD
(Umberto Bindi/Carl Sigman/Gino Paoli)

16 SONGWRITERS

19 BAD SEED
(Bill Anderson)

12 BY THE TIME I GET TO PHOENIX
(Jimmy Webb)

15 COLD DECEMBER (IN YOUR HEART)
(Alex Hassilev)

18 HEY LITTLE ONE
(Dorsey Burnette/Barry De Vorzon)

13 HOMEWARD BOUND

18 Hey Little One

GLEN CAMPBELL/KELLY CHRISTIAN
22 Love Is A Lonesome River

ALEX HASSILEV
15 Cold December (In Your Heart)

HAZEL HOUSER

14 Tomorrow Never Knows

JIMMY WEBB
12 By The Time I Get To Phoenix
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 August 2011
Glen Campbell's songs have been described as 'mushy and over sentimental'. His popularity, longevity and affection defy this.The man holds such passion and loyalty with his listeners. The songs 'By The Time I Get To Phoenix', 'Cryin', 'Catch The Wind, 'Gentle On My Mind' crave emotional responses. I feel many may be reluctant to admit their admiration of this man and his superb artistry. He is compelling. Nothing to be frightened of saying "I'm a fan." Superb. He is a stayer. Not many of today's 'stars' can achieve his status. Keep his music in the forefront. Recommended unreservedly. After listening to this try to see if you can keep his songs from YOUR mind!
33 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2013
Song # 3 on this CD is the wrong song. This CD has the 'It's Over' song that Roy Orbison recorded. Glen Campbell included this Roy Orbison 'It's Over' on his "Hey Little One" album. The 'It's Over' song that should have been on this CD is the 'It's Over' song that Jimmie Rodgers recorded. This is an unacceptable error made by the label BGO. BGO needs to recall all discs with this mistake. If this CD had included the correct version of 'It's Over' I would have rated it a 5 star. Gentle on My Mind, by the Time I Get to Phoenix
44 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2015
Happy with it
on 15 October 2015
A nice cd
on 13 February 2013
I picked this cd because there were some songs I hadn't heard. Unfortunately I know now why I hadn't heard them - they would never make the popularity stakes!