on 14 August 2011
Whilst not having any formal programming education and being rather self-taught I struggled with grasping all the non-Windows concepts which *nix uses. Desperate for getting the concepts right I bought this book. Today, i'd argue that this is where I should have started.

The book provides a clear cut presentation of how to use the linux command-line from the lowest level and gradually moves upwards, by adding layers of syntax in a logical and coherent way. It starts with the (real) basics and guides the reader to a more detailed level in gentle steps with a cute but subtle humour. Whilst most would argue that learning the command-line can be quite a dry subject, the Authors actually manage to present the subject in a living and involving manner. Reading the book (at the rather of a chapter every second evening from front to back) feels more like having a dialogue with the authors than memorising a phone-book (which a lot of other books on the command-line makes you feel like).

So, the one liner to people who have started using linux and wants to know "what is under the bonnet?" This is the book to read!
on 9 June 2012
I've been unix scripting for the last 12 months, self taught and thought I should try to develop a less idiosyncratic and patchy style. Hence the purchase of this book. It's not for me.

It appears to go through all the commands and indeed has large sections on file permissions and disk partitions that seems relevant for a system administrator, but a lot of the time it seems to do little more for a command than you could obtain by typing man command. It's a thick book, but full of white space and copies of screen output, the amount of smart ideas for scripting seem low (I haven't read all the book).

I'm 150 pages in and really haven't learned much. I think I'm just going to buy another book rather than finish this one.
on 30 August 2011
I learned more linux with this book in couple of weeks than I learned by experimenting alone in a year. If you are relatively new to linux, you so need this book. If you already know linux, you'll be surprised at what you don't know.

It gives you such an overview and a lot of information that only old school unix guys tend to know. I feel as though I have identified most of my linux knowledge gaps with this one stop shop with the page count to prove it. It's clear, concise and not overly labourious with details. You can skim to what you need, or read the explanation for every command mentions. If only the man pages for everything were this detailed...

I'm so happy I bought this book I decided to write this review!

Is it worth the asking price (£19 as of today) YES!
on 29 October 2011
What an excellent book! Bought the second version and since then I am in love with it. Indispensable helper when things get rough. The shell scripting part really shines as it does a great job teaching the bash pseudo-language. Totally recommend it!
on 19 September 2016
Good book written for an audience of IT practitioners. Easy to read and comprehensive, it clearly explains the basics of Linux command line and shell scripting. A must read for hands-on security professionals who want to further their knowledge on the topic.
on 16 December 2011
I've not read the book yet, but I did find it notable that its title includes the word "Bible", and the author's personal religious beliefs are mentioned three times in the first ten pages. E.g., this surprising inclusion on page nine:

"First, all glory and praise go to God, who through His Son, Jesus Christ, makes all things possible, and gives us the gift of eternal life"

Of all the things I look for in a technical reference book, proselytisation isn't one of them. If I've paid for a book on subject X, I think it's simple bad manners for an author to use that purchase as an opportunity to foist their personal religious beliefs on their secular audience. And this isn't a criticism of religion or religious people; I'd feel the same way whether it was their political beliefs, charitable interests or bondage fetish that an author had unadvisedly chosen to include in a book on an unrelated topic.
1313 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2011
A good read for beginners or as an on the shelf reference for those just needing a reminder.
The use of the word "Bible" might cause offence to some, unwise in non-religious book titles.
on 26 September 2012
The word "Bible" should have warned me. The book is fine as a reference and as a teaching aid- if only he'd stop banging on about God.
on 24 June 2015