on 8 August 2016
My kids are 12 and 9 and I've been looking at this game for a while after seeing it on Will Wheaton's Tabletop YouTube show. I was worried my kids were too young and it would be too complicated and when we first tried it, it seemed that was the case. We still had a fun first game though and I put a bit of effort into reading the rules through properly and played a couple of practice hands.
The next time I played with the kids was much better - I think you pick up quite a bit each time you play and by the 3/4 game we were feeling like experts, moaning as we pulled the duck of doom card that we know means we drop 2 levels and thrilled if we grab the doppelgänger card that doubles our combat strength.
We've had this game about a week and played it 2/3 times a day. Video games have been (I'm sure temporarily) shunned and visiting children as young as 7 have been dragged into the obsession. One of those games you just play to learn rather than being taught.
You do have to be quite tough on each other at times, playing curses and attack cars to try and stop the leader from winning. My kids are getting better at this but my 9 year old can still take it all a bit personally. :) All in all though it has been the best money we have spent on a game in ages and I would thoroughly recommend it. We were climbing the walls a bit before it came and it has really perked up our holidays.
6 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2015
Munchkin is a great Dungeons and Dragons parody game, full of quirky humour and adorable graphics on the cards. This is a must game for any would-be geek/nerd.

(Please note that the base game can be bought without the deluxe version, it just depends if you want the extras or not.)

This version of Munchkin provides the base game card deck with character cards, 6 coloured plastic character tokens and a very simple 1-10 board to illustrate game progression. As mentioned you can buy it without the board or extras but play is a little more straight forward with them. There is space in the box to add in expansions but it could get messy. Thankfully each expansion to Munchkin is identifiable on the cards (you might have to scan through the deck to check).

The game is both simple to dive into and great fun with great replayabilty. If you are a stickler for rules they come with the game and are dowloadable from the official Munchkin website. You play as a "Munchkin", who for all purposes is a generic treasure hunting Human character. Equip him/her with armour and weapons, change them into a thief or a cleric or wizard etc and even change their race from Dwarf to Elf and so on, using cards you have from your hand. Then "knock" on a door to find out what is in the next dungeon. The aim of the game is to get your character to level 10, simply by battling and defeating monsters. Of course it isn't as simpe as have more power than said monster. Find a monster who is too powerful to defeat and you can use potions/spells or abilities or even call on a friend (who may or may not help). Or maybe you can easily defeat the monster, in which case your friend could chose to help the monster defeat you. Things get ugly as you get closer to winning and it's never as straight forward as have the most powerful character. What I love is that even if someone is miles ahead they can come crashing down very easily.

Game times can vary from 10mins to 1 hour. The more people you have the more competitive and longer the games can last. My experience has been that the various add ons are well worth a look and don't forget to checkout forums and other online stuff for variant rules etc.

Buy this if:
1) You like quirky role playing games that make fun of the genre
2) You have more than 2 friends as above
3) Even if you don't like the above but want something different from Monopoly or Trivial pursuit
4) You may be willing to lose hours playing and replaying

Don't buy this if:
1) You have no sense of humour
2) You really don't have more than 1 other friend
3) Monopoly is you favourtie game ever and there's nothing to beat it...
3 people found this helpful
on 11 July 2016
As I had already been introduced to this game by friends, I knew before arrival that I would like the general gameplay. I was somewhat dubious about having the game with no expansions as my friend has quite a few and there are plenty out there.
After a few plays I now know my fears were unwarranted as there is enough variety in the game without expanding, at least for a while.

The game has become a firm favourite of the kids of the house, being their first request on game nights nine times out of ten. It can take a bit of time to get to grips with the rules, particularly the younger the player but once it's sunk in it's not too complex.
Would recommentld for families and adult groups alike.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2017
Great game, bought it for my girlfriend and have played a few times with my friends since. Takes a bit of time to get your head around the rules but it's definitely worth the effort. We typically play with 5 or 6 of us and after the initial getting to understand the game its great fun. would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a new game that's different to a lot of whats out there.
2 people found this helpful
on 4 January 2018
Wonderful little game, very amusing. Bought as an option to play with our very smart 7 year old son who loves playing, but had to remove one of the weapons so far as the language is a little unsuitable for a 7 year old. Is very funny game tho, instructions are extremely complicated and took quite a while to get my head around, but think we have just about got the hang of it! The gameplay itself is quite simple for children to understand.

Will be buying some add ons to this for his Birthday.
on 16 May 2014
I had this game in another language and wanted to play this here in the UK, but I was a bit sceptical about this Deluxe version: is it worth having the board and pawns?

The answer is: YES!

I found it much easier keeping an eye on everyone level and gives a visual situation of the "dungeon" and makes up for a nice scene where you can tease people for "walking in the wrong direction" etc..

I bought a couple of expansions as well (munchkin 2 and 3), and as soon as you do that, the card locations on the board become kinda useless, since we prefer to split the decks in different piles to give better access to everyone to all the cards, otherwise you will just see a big pile of cards on the deck.

On the other hand, the big box can easily store all the cards, pawns, die and any extra you want to add, especially if you like to keep things tidy!
on 28 January 2016
I knew right from the start that the game was designed to instigate arguments so that was my mindset when I sat down to play with some friends. For starters be warned that if you will be playing this with people who never played a role playing game... you will need to explain the basics to them before playing. Also make sure you read and reread the rules as they can lead to many a squabble if not properly understood by all. Having said all that this game is a tonne of fun and quite enjoyable once you get the knack of it. Highly recommended.
on 16 February 2017
I think this is my best party game to play casually with a group. Its easy to understand and is one of those games that is good to teach as you play. It is a very funny game that pokes fun at the serious side of dnd. Be prepared to have bust ups with friends and family as making deals and offers for cards and help will make people frustrated.
on 8 August 2017
This is one of my favourite tabletop games. It's cheeky and clever and so much fun to play. That being said, it's not really for younger kids. I'd say maybe mid-teens and up, depending on how mature your kid is. The materials are great quality and there are dozens of fun extension packs. Definitely fun and worth the price if you are an avid gamer.
on 25 July 2017
A really fun game, allowing you to collaborate or stab people in the back :)
Getting to know the different classes and seeing the different fun monsters and curses will keep this game fun. In addition you can buy add-ons, to add interest with new content. Already a firm favourite in our house!