Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 28 January 2010
Having fallen in love with Ministry of Sounds original Pump It Up workout last year I have tried a few other workout dvds that just never lived up to it. Either had moves that made me cringe or unbearable music to try to dance along to. As a hip hop and street dancer I love to dance but when something describes itself as a workout I expect more order to it. I could barely work up a sweat to this workout because it was all over the place. After others had failed to live up to Pump It Ups standards I thought I would give this a try because I do love Deanna as an instructor. I dance my arse away on a night out, and felt I might as well have just gone out clubbing for my workout after this.... flashing 'clubbing' lights behind them the whole time was beyond distracting, and not necessary. And the topless men??? I want to work out, not check out men dancing around, unnecessary and put me off, just doesn't seem very professional. Finally, no offence to the girls because there isn't a muffin top in sight but I'm more inspired by the impeccably toned and flat stomachs of Deanna and the Pump It Up girls than these dancers who have a figure that I already own, I much prefer the inspirational (if maybe a little impossible) body style of Deanne to really drive me on. Not a fan so I returned this in favour of another Ministry Of Sound workout.
Regardless of my issues with the dvd though, Deanne is an excellent instructor so perhaps without all the added touches of flashing lights and male chests I would have been open to giving it another go
on 5 April 2010
Ever since the last Clubland exercise DVD by Deanne Berry, I have been patiently waiting for them to produce another one. Admittedly the production/sound quality was a bit ropey on the first one, but I can categorically say that this is worlds better.

The music on this DVD is fantastic (if you like dance music) and it looks really slick. As far as the routines themselves go, it's really good.

Warm up - it's ok - not the best, but ok. The music during the salsa bit has a weird time signature and while it's quite energetic, there isn't a whole lot of stretching.
Aerobic section - fab. High energy and loads of fun and importantly easy to learn. I've only done it twice now, but I've got it pretty much down.
Dance - haven't attempted it yet!
Combat - excellent - the sweeping heel kick has really freed up my hip region and the elbows are a great way to get the aggression out.
Cool down - again, very good. I like the new yoga moves that have been incorporated into it.

So yes, buy this and enjoy. However, take the caveat that if you are horribly unfit or if you have never done an exercise dvd before, you will struggle at the start. Also, as an aside I noticed several people who commented that Deanne Berry seemed arrogant? Personally I didn't see that at all - she is still the happy and terrifyingly athletic presenter that she has always been.

Recommended!
on 24 February 2010
I am a big Deanne Berry fan, I have her previous Pump it up workouts but this is my first Clubland workout DVD. I must agree with some of the other reviewers in that when you do the workout for the first time it is slightly overwhelming as it is very fast paced and unfortunately the moves aren't explained that clearly. However after doing the workout two or three times I seem to have got the hang of it and I am really enjoying it. This workout is definately for people who are used to doing dance DVD workouts - it definately isn't a beginners DVD. I will definately get lots of use out of these DVD and I will hopefully soon have a body that rivals Deanne's. :-) lol.
on 8 February 2010
I have a few dvds that Deanne has choreographed or featured in and I always find that they are good fun as well as giving you a good workout, I have lost 9lbs in 2 weeks doing this dvd 4 times a week. I don't do the whole dvd everytime so it shows you can pick and choose and still lose weight I normally aim to do around 40 mins of it each time and try to do the whole thing once a week. I enjoy all of the sections, the hardest I find is the cardio section. I normally dread the toning sections of exercise dvds but found that this one isn't as bad as the rest so I really do reccommend every bit of the dvd!!
on 31 December 2009
Very good workout, something for everyone, Deanne Berry is an amazing instructor. Definitely one of of the better exercise DVDs i own (and i own a few!!!) Am a fan of the last 'Clubland' DVD, and both 'Ministry of Sound Pump it ups' this Instructors been in, she knows what she's talking about but most of all the workouts are enjoyable and challenging in a way where you feel like your working hard but not getting bored like its a chore, like most exercise makes me feel! Definitely worth the money!
on 2 January 2010
I am in no way a fan a club music and this did put me off buying the dvd, but I love street dance and self expression through good old free movement so took a chance on it. I'm glad I did! Deanne instructs really well, but there aren't many repetitions to master the moves so keep your wits about you! Only a few of the music edit mixes did grate a little, but I was far too busy learning the steps and more importantly, enjoying myself to really notice!After a few more attempts i'm aiming to look far cooler than I currently do and my stomach will hopefully be on its way to look like Miss Berry's utterly perfect body! Lots of energy, fun and fast music to keep you from flagging. A very pleasing purchase.
on 8 February 2010
Deanne Berry at her best - I absolutely love the soundtrack and Deanne is so cheery and motivating, you can't help but enjoy it. One year ago I would have given it the deserved 5-stars review, but since then a knee-injury has made me more aware of "hazardous" movements - there are plenty of them and few alternative options. Nevertheless this is a great DVD for everyone who is fit and loves to dance and power out, challenging and fun. And if I don't feel like exercising, I only have to play the music to get me in the mood!
on 19 September 2010
I shouldn't like this workout at all purely for all the annoying gimmickery and tackiness. Deanne Berry, despite all this, is a good instructor and, as I really enjoy all her workouts, this is largely what I will base my review on.

Don't allow yourself to be distracted by the flashing lights (unavoidable if you are epileptic, I'm sure), the so-called 'hunks' and the 'X-factor' rip off intro and you'll be on your way to an enjoyable workout.

The warm up combines a synopsis of what you can expect from the 15 min aerobic, dance and combat sections (those used to the format of 'lose it; burn it' and the previous Clubland will find that there are no nasty surprises lurking in this DVD). The warm up is really enjoyable and gets you limbered up a treat.

I tend not to do the purely dance section as it does not provide a sufficient cardio challenge for me but it is nonetheless enjoyable.

There's a 15 min aerobic dance section that is both excellent fun and able to work up a sweat. Some of the moves are high impact so watch your knees and ankles. I personally preferred this section to the one on the previous Clubland DVD.

The 15 minute combat section highlights boxing moves interpersed with kicks in a fast paced routine. Pay attention to correct alignment as this can be sacrificed in pursuit of keeping up with Deanne and co's pace.

As always, an effective toning sequence is included on a DVD along with a wonderful yoga style cooldown.

The great thing about the Clubland DVDs is the fact that you can custom build a workout that suits you. Also, the warm up and cool down are automatically included with your selection so you cannot skip them (well I guess you could if you used the forward button on the DVD, but hey!). My only complaint about the warm up is that the stretches are not held for long enough before moving on to the next: not great when you consider all this routine is tough on the joints.

I would suggest that this workout is more suited to experienced exercisers not because the instensity level is hardcore but due to the high impact nature of the moves and insufficient stretching. The cueing is quite good on the DVD so the exercises are quite easy to pick up if moderately co-ordinated.

All in all, a good workout to add to the collection for those who like aerobic based dance workouts and combat style routines. A star has been deducted from the ratings for some of the safety points and the tackiness of the production but, ultimately, the workout is effective and fun.
on 20 January 2012
I really enjoyed the ministry of sound workouts with Deanne Berry so bought this one last summer to help me get in shape. I really like it, Deanne Berry is a great instructor, friendly and encouraging without being too patronising.
The workout consists of 4 individual sections, as well as a warm up and cool down. The sections are: Aerobic Floor Fillers, Ultra Dance Beat, Clubland Combat and Total Toning.

Before I start the in-depth review you should know I have mild asthma and my fitness and stamina are not brilliant, I have a few workout videos but my fitness level is probably low-medium. I'm beginner-middle I think!

The warm-up is good fun but could do with some more instruction from Deanne for some of the moves. I do enjoy it though.

My favourites are the dance and boxing sections. The aerobics is really fun but I find it a bit too fast and I don't have the stamina for it most days, if I do the aerobics section I'll be too tired for anything else (I usually do warm up + 2 sections + cool down). Great sense of achievement if you get through the aerobics though, the moves are fun and quite easy to follow after a couple of goes.

The dance section is one of my favourites. You put together a whole routine over a few songs, which looks really good and feels great once you get the hang of it! I feel like Deanne could spend a bit more time teaching you how to do the moves as some are a bit tricky for beginners, but I got the hang of it after a couple of run-throughs of the dvd. This section is quite girly, lots of bum wiggling and body rolls and stuff which I really like, but others might not, just mentioning it.

The combat/boxing is really intense and gets you sweating but I really love punching out my aggression. If you put lots of energy and power behind it it burns loads of calories and tones your tummy! I love the routines and the music for this section. There is quite a lot of jumping around so this section might not be the best for those who don't like high-impact training. I love Deanne Berry's boxing style workouts as I can punch it all out in the 'safety' of my own home.

The toning section is good, but difficult. I'm incredibly inflexible so I find the moves quite tough and my stamina isn't up to much yet, but I'm getting better. You will really ache the next day if you do this section, especially if you don't do the cool down at the end! I'm sure it would give great results if you did it most days though.

The cool down is really lovely. I actually use this cool down instead of the ones on my other workout dvds because I prefer it to the others. Some of the stretches I hadn't seen before but they really really work to stretch out all your muscles and get you relaxed after a tough workout. Again, I'm really inflexible so I take the boys' option (the easier one) but Deanne is very encouraging about being so inflexible! The music for this is really relaxing too. One of the best cool downs I've used on a workout video.

If I had to say something negative about this video, it would be that it takes up a bit more space than some of my other workout videos, so I have to adapt some of the moves, for example marching on the spot rather than walking across the room, as I have quite a small living room. The dance section especially includes some swinging your arms round your head and I have to be careful of my low-hanging light fittings sometimes, but this doesn't really detract from the overall quality of the workout.

If I could, I'd give this DVD 4 1/2 stars out of 5, as sometimes it gets annoying crashing into my sofas, but apart from that, this is the best workout DVD I've owned, along with the Zumba package (the one with the toning sticks). Zumba Fitness DVD Exercise Kit includes toning sticks
on 6 July 2011
I really haven't enjoyed trying to work out to this DVD. It impossible to keep up with what is going on. hAsn;t helped my fitness because i cannot follow it! Some of the time you aren't even told about the next move, you're constantly having to keep an eye on what they are doing and the moves are so fast and "dancy" I think you'd really need to be a fairly skilled dnacer to keep track of all the moves. Beware unless you are used to this sort of DVD.