on 16 October 2015
Perfect
on 27 August 2012
I actually returned this book as I am doing research into original illustrations that were commissioned or directly inspired by Les Fleurs du mal. This is a beautiful book but most (or lots) of the wonderful illustrations are not connected to Buadelaires poems. It includes The Scream for example by Munch. I already own books with almost all the illustrations (mostly Symbolist)included in the book and the poems too so the book did not deliver what I was expecting or give me new insights. Having said that the collection of paintings are beautiful, the book is a great size, the quality of print is fab...I think the poems are only in French.
on 18 July 2017
Described as one of the ten best classics in French literature. I think not. This is a children's story book and is quite a good one.
on 25 January 2013
One of the most important and influential works of the time. Beautiful and haunting poetry by a tormented genius. A must read for anyone interested in French literature.
on 30 November 2012
I probably didn't chose the best edition in terms of beauty of the cover sleeve but that is totally superficial. For the price, it is all that I needed. A french edition of the text in good condition and it arrived very quickly.
on 9 October 2013
The idea for this prodect is excellent. Unfortunately on my Kindle Fire its working is very erratic. Returning from the glossary may take me to the original text or to another glossary page or even to the book info page. This makes it more frustrating and long winded than necessary as I also have to note the place i am reading at so that I can refind itagain when the glossary puts me back somewhere else. Prrobably Ok who hardly need the glossary at all.
on 20 February 2014
I bought this for one particular poem which I like very much: the part that starts: "mais parmi les chacals..."
on 15 March 2012
This edition of Les Fleurs du Mal is a british publication. It does not contain all the poems of the final edition of 1868 and does not follow the order of the list of contents of any of the earlier editions of 1857, or 1861. Some of the banned poems are included such as 'Les bijoux' but other poems for example 'Lola de Valence' are not included here. There is no list of contents and no index.
A disappointing purchase.
on 30 August 2014
I am not a fluent French speaker/reader but the beauty of Baudelaire's writing is starkly apparent even to me. Stunningly short, sweet and simple poems with striking imagery and flow.
on 25 July 2013
This is a recognised masterpiece in French poetry and needs no review from the likes of me. Just read it.