• Up

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 19 September 2011
Unlike one or two of the other reviews here, I'm at sixes and sevens with this set. I've followed Steve and Miquette since their Gong days and felt really uplifted by their last outing - Phoenix, which offered plenty of variety and, in my opinion, affectionate nods to their long and illustrious career.

A few tracks on here are superb (the first, fifth and seventh have lasting appeal for me) and a good few intro's and outro's hold great interest had they been developed further, but sadly, I'm way past the age where admittedly hypnotic but boringly monotonous, metronomic bangin' beats in every track are enough and, in my opinion, too many tracks rely on the beat alone, with minimal stuff going on over the top to balance the mix up - gives some of us headaches Steve :-) Whereas on "Phoenix," different tracks caught and held me with repeated playings, I'm finding this one an effort to play all through, a great track introduction soon descending into the same old same old banging thump thump thump and too often repeated samples over the top... Come on Steve and Miquette, you're capable of SO much more than this one, narrow and I reckon exhausted genre - and I hate to remind you, but you're both three times the age of what I reckon to be the average Techno-Trance fan. You've done this genre to death now and maybe a collaboration with fellow guitar and keyboard hero Manuel Gottsching (Ashra) is long overdue (oh, the thoughts of skillful guitar riffs interleaving together over a glissando background with some wonderful sequences and tonalities over the top - the fifth track "At Last" and seventh track "Dolphin Smack" are ideal template I think...)

So, apologies for being rather negative on a System 7 album when some others obviously love it, but I think fans need more variety without most of every track being so monotonously up-tempo and ultimately (for me at least) boring - there're enough "bedroom DJ's doing this already I think...
on 20 June 2011
Definitely the best System 7 album I've heard. Less of the ambient stuff and more danceable trancey/house stuff.

Hillage is admirably restrained with the guitar widdling - he plays just enough to add something special without going over the top. If I were him every tune would be a 10 minute over the top guitar solo!

Really pleasant to listen to, and will no doubt sound great live out of some fat speakers as well.
on 19 June 2011
This is the best album by System Seven so far. More upbeat than previous releases and current, creative, and uplifting. "Positive Noise" is a top class, perfect dance track and sets the scene for the rest of the tracks. It gets better with each listen and Steve Hillage and Giraudy get better with each album. A MUST for any electronic, alpha wave or System Seven fan.
Being mid 40's and brought up on Jarre, Vangelis and such, I wanted to buy a current album of cool, vibey but still upbeat electro trance that wasn't yet another compilation.

I bought System 7's album "Up" whilst it was still in the charts, not that it reached that high, or for that long. I cannot quite recall how I finally chose this album out of all those I could have, in an area of music I know very little about. I do remember sampling tracks on Amazon's MP3 store to listen to snippets.

I wasn't especially blown away by any tracks in particular but in any case, I wanted a nicely segued album that ran from one track into another with a sense of continuity. I'd rather that than one or two brilliant ones and the rest just rubbish.

So, no great surprises and it doesn't get played particularly often, either. The first track is a good one and I like the quite hefty rhythm of the second. The guitar samples are fine but not a selling point, for me. They could equally be played on keyboards, but I'm not buying because of Steve Hillage, who, I read here, is quite an icon for those who like him. The CD details are almost nil, so such info I've taken from fellow Amazon reviewers.

'Berimbau', track 3 is one I particularly like....with it's hypnotic repeating beat and snippets of synth and guitar adding splashes of sonic colour. The way it all speeds up reminds me of my old dancing days and then settles into the wonderfully bouncy 'The Mind Boggles', the synth bits jumping about like electron particles. This is where I find the album at its best. You could argue that the rest of the CD follows this sort of upbeat sort of music and you'd be right, but it is a very agreeable one.

All in all, I wasn't disappointed with my purchase but it didn't set my life alight and I won't be pursuing further System 7 albums. This one'll do nicely...
on 24 June 2011
best S7 album to date. If you're into S7 you will like it, but having been a Steve Hillage fan from the 70s it is not what I would listen to repeatedly. I try my best to like S7 but Up includes mediocre tracks i feel compared to his Steve Hillage days. Sorry Steve and Miquette.
on 7 February 2013
Glad I added this one to my library. Sound is fresh and great for easy listening.
On my playlists for driving and sports :D
on 6 March 2014
Some good tracks, 1 and 2' track 4 "the mind boggles" is great. System 7 are definitely a better live act.
on 11 October 2014