on 18 February 2013
I likled the book but thought the author was economical with the actual abuse she suffered. Saying that I think she was amazing to survive and write her story. I wish her well.
on 15 May 2013
Expected a heart-felt, real story with depth. Instead got a very repetitive account of the author's childhood. Poorly edited, and poorly written. Definitely wouldn't recommend it.
on 3 May 2011
A real story with real pictures and a must read for anyone who has ever been in care, or anyone who has ever considered taking legal proceedings for institutional abuse. A real page turner, a gripping story that is both poignant, yet in parts hilariously funny. I couldn't put it down, and was left both moved and inspired by the dramatic ending. Caroline.
on 13 April 2013
This book was a very good read..My sisters and myself went to the same convent and we left just before this type of abuse took place..we remember two of the characters in this book so we know it was the same place. Thank God we left when we did.Would be interested to know what other people think about this book..
on 22 September 2014
Excellent service and goods
on 4 August 2013
I read this through and came away feeling uneasy and unsettled. I found it very difficult to feel anything positive for the author. For me there was a lot in the book which just didn't add up. Read it and make up your own mind.
on 18 April 2013
Being one of the girls who was at St. Anne's convent for a number of years during the 1960's and knowing the nuns mentioned. Their characters described in this book are totally alien to me and to my friends who were also at St. Anne's.
Yes, the nuns were strict but..they certainly did NOT abuse us in anyway shape or form.
This book does not portray the real truth to what it was really like to be in St. Anne's!
How sad that the author felt the need to take legal action!
The author lost her case......need I say more?
44 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2013
Considering it's a real story and a very sad situation, the author still manages to fill it with light humour. What a brave lady to have taken this on. My husband was in the same Childrens Home at the same time as the author (they do remember each other in fact even after all these years). I haven't finished it yet but I just can't put it down.
on 31 August 2011
What can I say about this book?...just curl up in a comfortable arm chair, large box of chocolates and large box of tissues by your side...oh and a do not disturb sign on the door....and settle down to the read of a funny, sad, poignant and totally unforgetable story of a brave and wonderful little girl who came shining through inspite of all the odds...the little girl, who was let down so badly and so cruely by so many people...especially by the so wrongly named Sisters of Mercy in a children's home in the 1960's....she vowed never to forget the cruelty and humiliation suffered at the hands of those who were supposed to love and nurture children, yet used them for their own warped ends...and she determined to bring them to justice...there are so many people who should hang their heads in shame....but in the end, inspite of everything, she came through it all and can hold her head high....you will laugh and you will cry...but you will never forget this book.
on 20 December 2014
5* REVIEW: I WENT TO THE SAME SCHOOL - ST ANNE'S, SEVENOAKS ROAD, ORPINGTON AND THE NUNS WERE FAIR EXCEPT FOR SR A.T.NIA, WHO WAS VERY VIOLENT AND ACTUALLY HELD A GIRL BY HER THROAT AND SWUNG HER AROUND TILL HER FEET LEFT THE FLOOR (I LATER HEARD THE NUN WENT TO PRISON). THAT NUN ALSO SHOOK ME AND MY BROTHER, BUT HE WAS LATER SENT TO PRIVATE SCHOOL BUT I REMAINED. MY OLDER SISTER HAS PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS AND HATED ME FROM BIRTH, BUT BECAUSE MY PARENT'S CULTURE WAS ASIAN I WAS ALSO LEFT TO CRY ALONE. MY SISTER WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO MOVE OR SPEAK, SAYING I WAS REPULSIVE TO HER AND THAT THE VERY SOUND OF MY VOICE SEXUALLY EXCITED HER. MY DAD WAS A LOCAL GP IN THE AREA, BUT HE HAD ASPERGERS SYNDROME, AS HAD MY BROTHER, WHO LATER COMMITTED SUICIDE...