on 3 May 2015
A decent book, certainly a page turner after the first couple of chapters. From a self improvement point of view it reveals the benefits of being more open and less rigid in your intentions. A bit hard to believe in places - did Danny really think the Sultanate emails weren't a hoax? There are a few loose ends as well - what was his experience with the penis patch, for example? I'd recommend it, but not a huge loss to your life if you pass.
on 30 May 2017
To be honest I got a bit bored in parts but there are some laughs and the concept is interesting.
on 7 August 2012
Read this book on kindle whilst on holiday,I stumbled across it while searching for something 4 stars and up on kindle reviews,I'm glad I found this one constantly burst out laughing even had tears in my eyes at times
He gets himself into plenty of funny situations just from saying yes to everything
God knows how he managed to keep it up,I'm not going to mention any of them you need to read them yourselves
on 3 May 2017
Yes you should .... and that's more than a good enough reason, which once you've read it, I'm sure you will agree.
on 1 February 2015
Great book
on 2 December 2015
A hilarious page turner. loved it!
on 10 January 2016
A brilliant book with a serious message. How would our lives change if we just said 'yes' more? Danny Wallace writes of his experience of doing just that. Funny and strangely inspiring. I read this years ago and still remember it and still find myself thinking about it when I am inclined to say 'no'.

Should you buy it? What would Danny say?
on 2 February 2008
This book is something special. It will make you laugh out loud, it might even make you cry, and what's probably more important, it can teach you, as it taught me, something very important about life.

I don't think most people know or ever think about how a decision they make today can impact on their lives in 2 or 3 months time. I know I've never thought about life in those terms before.

It's a very enjoyable read and a real adventure, so no wonder it's being made into a film starring Jim Carrey. I only hope the film does the book justice. According to Danny, who's already read the script, it does. So I can't wait to see it.

Something else: after you've read this book, you'll become incredibly self conscious of saying "no" to things.

As well as entertaining me for many hours, I think this book has probably affected me to an extent I won't know of for several months or years.

I'm glad I said yes to buying it and I eagerly await the movie!
on 2 July 2008
honestly one of my favourite books of all time. Really changed my attitude to be even more positive, and do things that you may not particularly feel like doing, cos it will usually be brilliant. inspiring, and all round brilliant. can't recommend it enough.
on 6 February 2015
As a fan of Tony Hawks, it was probably only a matter of time before I ended up delving into the strange world of Danny Wallace. I'd heard of the rather strange things he'd got up to with his friend Dave Gorman without ever seeing the TV series or reading the books and thought that they would be an ideal way of filling the time before the next Tony Hawks book.

The set up for "Yes Man" is a bit more random than with Tony Hawks' adventures, as the latter tends to accept a bet from his friends. Danny Wallace, however, happened to end up sitting next to some random guy on a bus who advised him to "Say Yes More". Danny, realising that his life had become less exciting in recent times thanks to his ability to turn down invites to more or less anything, took him at face value.

What follows is Danny's story of events over the months following that decision. Danny decides to become the Yes Man and say yes to anything that requires a yes or no answer. This is a pretty simple thing to do if the question to hand is "Are you coming down the pub tonight?" or, once there, "Would you like another drink?" At first, Danny's friend Ian thinks this is as far as he's going to take things and is horrified that Danny is not only going to say "yes" to everything, but plans to keep it up for a number of months.

This leads Danny all over the world and into all kinds of strange situations. He finds himself having to accept when offered the opportunity to buy "The Amazing Penis Patch" and putting himself in any number of uncomfortable and embarrassing situations. However, it's not all bad, as Danny also gets ahead at work and gets to travel to lots of exciting new places and try things he never thought he would. He gets to expand his mind as well as his horizons and nearly makes large amounts of money, which is probably just as well, as saying yes to everything does get pretty expensive.

Much like Tony Hawks, Danny Wallace's writing style is quite relaxed and chatty and at the same time, brutally honest. There is only a single incident which he fails to reveal the full details of, although even here he does return to fill in the gaps a little later on. Generally, however, we get to hear even the events that would have caused him the greatest embarrassment, which mostly involve his dealings with his ex-girlfriend Hanne and his friend Wag, who inadvertently end up being on the receiving end of some of Danny's stranger acceptances.

The result of this is that we end up laughing at Danny nearly as much as we end up laughing with him. Whilst this isn't a comedy book as such, it is filled with strange situations that you can barely help but find humour in. There were a lot of moments I found myself laughing out loud at something Danny had just done, or when I realised what was about to happen to him. As I tend to do a lot of my reading on the London Underground or on buses, this can be an embarrassing situation for me as well, but I couldn't help myself.

Part of the beauty of "Yes Man" is that many of the things Danny gets to say yes to are the things that might come up in our every day lives. Virtually all of us will have had the spam E-Mails that offer to sell him the "Amazing Penis Patch" and the offers for credit cards. Many of us will have been accosted in the street by people seeking donations to one charity or another and there are very few of us who have ever picked up the phone at home and found a telesales person on the other end, although I doubt that any of us have confused them to the extent that Danny Wallace does. In so many of the situations, we can relate to what Danny is saying yes to. This isn't a strange idea plucked from thin air, this is simply real life taken to the extremes and recounted in a pretty amusing way.

The book isn't perfect, though. One downside is that Danny meets a group who believe there could be more to the man on the bus than just a random encounter and this becomes a minor preoccupation for Danny for a little while. This may not be a distraction for someone who gives rein to their spiritual side, but as my interests don't lean in that direction, it didn't sit quite right for me. The other down side is that the book seems to fade towards the ending and there are moments of pithy sentimentality which do let it down slightly.

These are really minor concerns, however. For any fan of the slightly silly challenges and subsequent books undertaken by the likes of Tony Hawks and Dave Gorman, Danny Wallace is a decent addition to the genre. Even allowing for the slightly less effective moments, you have nothing to lose by saying yes.

This review may also appear, in whole or in part, under my name at any or all of www.ciao.co.uk, www.thebookbag.co.uk, www.goodreads.com, www.amazon.co.uk and www.dooyoo.co.uk