Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 7 November 2003
Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook was recommended to me by many readers who were familiar with his work. Apparently, this novel is one of Spark's best works, and referred to by many avid readers. As a first time reader of this novel, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Most novels don't strike me with great "UMPH" and candor as to inspire me to read more or even read more works by the same author, but Sparks has put a standing mark on my search for books to read. So if you're in the mood for a great love story full of romance, laughter, and suspense; then this is the book for you! In the relationship between a handsome young man by the name of Noah Calhoun and a fun-loving, beautiful girl named Allie Nelson, you find out whether love is able to override disappointments and consequences in their life. Sparks is able to take an entire lifetime and mold it into a masterpiece, but will this masterpiece include the common notion of love conquering all? Decisions can affect one for a lifetime, and if Allie is faced with a gut-wrenching decision, will love really be able to intervene and choose before logic? This novel honestly touched my heart with its fairy-tale like love that will be remembered for a lifetime.
on 25 August 2004
Actually, forget my title- this story isn't merely suitable for romantics alone- its for everyone. I cannot stress enough how utterly heart-wrenching this book is. Nicholas Sparks cunningly lures you into a deep and intense love, shared by two adorable characters whom are bought to life so well!
The Notebook is a fantastic love story- compelling and irrisistable. The love between Noah and Allie is both real and inpenetrable. Makes one think.... *sigh*...
What is more, with many great books- the ending can sometimes prove to be a let-down- however, Sparks concludes this novel with a wholly satisfying ending, leaving your heart (which- throughout the novel as been broken and mended numerous times) contented.
Read this book.
on 24 October 2002
This book literally stopped me in my tracks. the initial impression is one of a kind man taking time out to read to an elderly lady from a worn notebook. as the story switches from the man's daily ritual of reading the notebook to the actual contents of the notebook, each element is equally engaging. the most thought provoking element of the story is the emotion contained in the notebook's story of love overcoming obstacles. i found myself dwelling on the fact that there is a real danger of us falling into the trap of thinking that the only type of love and romance is the young, flighty, giddy type; as opposed to the enduring and 'come what may' type as is recounted in this story. the love which exists between two people no matter what the effect of the ravages of time. it is a story of warmth, which i could not leave down even as the tears trickled down my cheeks. a book that should be passed amongst friends until it becomes as worn as the notebook in the title.
on 6 October 2006
In today's world of divorces and materialism it was refreshing to read a book that portrays beautifully what's most important in life ... love.

A lot of readers will frown upon it's supposed sickly sweetness, but for the true romantics out there, it's perfect. It's a story that teaches the importance of following your heart instead of your head.

A short novel which means it's easily readable in a couple of sittings, the story is not dragged out and the pace is kept moving without dwelling on a single aspect for too long.

Nicholas Sparks writes simply from the heart without 'butching' it up with long complicated words that only those with Oxford or Cambridge degrees would understand.

It's not exactly a classic in terms of Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, but it's definitely a classic in it's own right.
on 18 July 2006
This is the first book I have read by Nickolas Sparks and it was just beautiful. Not many romance novels can live up to this one. I just think it was quite heart warming and the story of Noah's and Allie's love will remain with me forever.
on 11 August 2000
I loved the way this book was written, Sparks style of writing had totally touched my heart. I have never read anything in such beautiful language. I had read the book in a space of 2 days, I could not put it down, it made me cry, made me smile. Even though I had read it a couple of weeks ago, I can still remember every detail, it seems like the story has a life of its very own. It made me realise that no matter what happens in life, true love never changes and never dies.
on 7 June 2006
A book which has been written beautifully and romantic it is about a love that is lost and found again. The characters are vivid and real, and you the reader are lifted into their world. I do suggest that the tissues are handy as it had me in tears. If you have a love of poetry, you will enjoy this book
on 6 November 2007
When you read Nicolas Sparks - the author - you think of kitschy, romantic and unrealistic love-stories.
But in that case it is wrong, the notebook is a beautiful, passionate, wonderful and great story about endless love.
It's about that kind of love who everybody is dreaming of.

The story is about Noah and Allie, who fell in love with each other during the time they had been teenagers.
Then Allie moves away... 20 years later... just before her marriage with a popular lawyer, she cannot stop thinking of this summer 20 years ago when another boy stole her heart.
Because of that, she decides to search him and to meet him the last time before she becomes the wife of another man.
But then everything is different and she has to decide - the man who everyone wants her to marry - or her secret big love...

The story is on the one side beautiful to read and fascinating, but on the other side a little bit sad and you maybe will cry because it touches your heart so hard, but it's an experience which you will remember your whole life.
It's written in a very romantic style including lots of poetic elements and also extracts of wonderful and fitting poems.

I would give the book five stars, because I love it and wasn't able to stop reading it.
It's not unfounded a bestseller and one of the best stories which ever have existed and not only all Americans loved it, it was translated in 30 languages and published all over the world.

It's simply wonderful and from searching, finding, loosing and finding again the greatest love of all.
It gives us hope in this time, when almost every second marriages fail and people get divorced.
Nevertheless, everyone should dare the adventure of love, because it also could end like in this story.

The ending of the book also shows us how strong love is, stronger than for example diseases and deaths and other problems and sometimes even miracles are possible.

All in all this is a must read book!
on 3 April 2005
Wow, once again Nicholas Sparks captures your heart in this story of young love. I saw the film before i read the book, but both had my feeling all kinds of emotions. From happiness, to sadness and back again. The story of Noah and Ali truely makes me believe that everyone out there has a true love. no matter how old you are.
on 20 April 2013
There are very few movies that I think are better then the book, but here the movie is so much better. The book is like 50pages long and pretty disappointing. Its more s short story. Watching the movie took longer