on 8 November 2012
A fascinating insight into the life of a man who was an egotist in the extreme. Nothing or no one was beyond his intellect. There are times that I found his autobiography very tongue in cheek; the absurdity of his expertise as a great swordsman for example. He is also a rogue, but his self righteousness does not allow him to be anything other than "godly." Having said all of this, his autobiograpgy gives us a wonderful mental image of the renaissance period whether one can believe everything he says or not.
on 11 July 2013
I read this book over forty years ago and to download it now for free is one of the real benefits of my Kindle. The mix of adventure, boasting, self promotion and genuine artistic genius is very entertaining - even if it is over 400 years old.
on 18 April 2013
Benevento Cellini really was a vain man and some of his tales seem quite impossible. But I am thoroughly enjoying reading his autobiography. It gives a marvellous insight into life during his time.
A hard life if one in his position did not curry favour with nobility, it seems. He certainly was in and out of royalty good and bad books on many occasions. I will add that he was larger than life and quite a rabble-rouser.

I get the impression that many of his remaining marvellous works are today, hidden away in places such as The Vatican.
That is a shame. I would love to see more of his works.

I would recommend this book/kindle.
on 1 March 2015
This is an amazing story. I think it is fascinating, and I buy it as a gift for every friend I think would like it. But this edition has an unusual wide format and a large number of notes that detract from the flow of the story. There is no introduction that puts Cellini's life in context. It put me off and I wouldn't order this version again.
on 23 May 2016
Disappointed. The very large paperback format made it very hard to read. The translator not credited. so many typos I don't believe an editor was employed. An introduction giving dates and setting the scenes in Italy and France should have been included.
on 9 January 2013
If there were a prize for blowing one's own trumpet then Cellini would win it with ease. A fascinating insight into Italian Renaissance life and art, and into the psyche of a craftsman of genius.
on 5 July 2013
This is a real rollercoaster of a book. Even if you're not into art, the story is great and anybody who likes renaissance art will meet lots of people they know, all seen through the eyes of Cellini, a truly great artist as well as a thug.
on 27 May 2014
Just the text (in translation) - easy to read - with no extraneous material. No commentary or criticism or footnotes.
on 3 June 2015
Disappointed that this wasn't the one I was thinking of - Cellini's Life and Works@