on 14 January 2017
The day it arrived I was so excited , I could not wait to get it out of the packaging. What I saw before me was pure beauty. The cover is a vivid red with gold writing giving it a somewhat old feeling to it and the illustration is amazing.I was already content. The only thing that surprised me was the thickness of the pages. They are quite thin , but that's not stopping me from grabbing it and reading it. As it just arrived today I haven't been able to read it , but I would recommend the book to anyone as it's in great quality and it's quite cheap. Also everyone should be introduced into the mesmerizing world of The Brothers Grimm's. Do not miss out !
on 28 April 2015
I believe there must be quite a difference between the paperback and hardback copies. I purchased a paperback. There was nothing beautiful about it, but I would have been okay with this if the quality of the work was good. Unfortunately the book was littered with grammatical mistakes, typos and errors in editing such as justifying gone awry leaving several blank lines in some places or just two words along a line at opposite ends of the page to each other. I'm assuming this is a vanity print, as I have never seen a printed like this that has been professionally printed. Disappointing.
on 12 August 2017
I was unsure of this book. but I have to say it is a worthy edition of Grimms's, really pleased with it. The inside boards are of an owl in forest which just makes it all the more magical and inviting to peruse... It is in a deep burgundy colour with these wonderful old man forest trees on the front and back covers and pages gold gilt edged , There are no illustrations in this so would be suitable for the teenager or adult who wish to build their collection, The font is easy to read and of medium size and pages smooth and silky to the touch. These books are what I call value for money the quality in my opinion is well worth what the book has to offer. This book is the Canterbury Classics not to be confused with the equal!ly desirable companion of Barnes and Noble.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 9 January 2015
Another truly beautiful volume from the Barnes & Noble leatherbound classics range collecting together all the fantastical fairy stories of the brothers Grimm into one tome. Here are the stories that inspired the classic animations of Walt Disney.

The stories themselves are quite short with illustrations throughout making this an ideal book to read to children at bedtime or to be treasured by adults as a beautifully presented piece of literature.

I was so impressed by this wonderful book that I bought another copy for my fairy story obsessed young niece to treasure as she grows up.
on 18 September 2014
I don't normally rate my purchases but I feel I had to with this book.

I purchased it with a view of using it in my English class as an alternate version of the stories that children grow up hearing and showing how they were originally told. I was impressed with everything about the book. The way the book feels when you hold it and the quality of the paper. It evens smells amazing (yes I like the smell of books). Better than I expected and well worth the money. I love it.
on 21 December 2014
I went for this version of the Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales over other similar books because of many reviewers complaining that the other books were not 'complete'. Well this book is probably as complete as those people could ever wish for - including unfinished stories, story snippets and duplicate/similar tales. I deducted a star because think I'd have liked this book edited down but that's a matter of preference.
The book does however look and feel very expensive and worthy and I'm sure will be treasured forever
on 18 March 2016
I enjoy reading this book as the tales are slightly different to the later versions we a are used to. A little less politically correct. I read the reviews before purchasing, some people said it was hard to read, I didn't find that at all and the grandchildren (eight and ten) also enjoy reading it and don't seem to have any issues with it being more difficult.
Its a well presented smart looking book.
on 17 January 2015
I looked in bookshops for a complete version of the tales and some seemed mightily overpriced.This edition is not flashy but comprehensive with good illustrations.One should not pay too much attention to the fact that the illustrations are well spaced out and not necessarily relevant to the adjacent story.This is collector's edition and not necessarily for young children.If you want a quality children's book with selected classic tales try the Taschen version.
on 19 June 2017
Beautifully designed book,the cover has an amazing effect - it's almost embossed, almost gilded, I don't know how to adequately describe it. It's certainly a book to proudly display on the shelf, and has a great "feel" in the hand when read.

The stories themselves are classics, bizarre to a modern reader but it's interesting to see the early origins of so many well-known Fairy Tales. The illustrations are a nice touch. overall I can say if you're interested enough to be reading reviews, you probably won't be disappointed with this purchase. Well worth the £16.
review image review image
on 13 September 2012
I had a tremendous good time reading these stories.
However I would like to have the complete volume with 211 stories in it. That's the reason I don't give it 5 stars.
Oh and my favorite story? Cinderella. The way her sisters cut their feet/toes/calf is hilarious and in the end, when the birds poke their eyes, making them blind?
That's what I call harsh punishment (lol)
I don't have kids (yet) but I have little cousins and honestly there are some stories that kids needed to hear and process in order to get them thinking. NOwaday's fairytales tendencies gives them an illusory perspective of the world out there. Very well, they're children, but let's not let them believe everything is pink and roses for too long.