on 24 April 2017
Ready reading history of ancient Greece including some of the myths. Have a map of ancient Greece handy to place the battles and cities of interest.
on 15 March 2017
Boring, very dry reading.
on 16 September 2014
The Story of the Greeks
H. A. (Hélène Adeline) Guerber
on 2 May 2014
This is not a 19th Century history of Greece. I bought it so that I could compare and contrast historiographies. Not a wise move.

This is a telling of Greek myths. Short, sharp, fast paced (for those who want to know the story without all the description and detail) on this basis the book is actually rather good. Not what I was expecting, but good none-the-less.

If you want a compressed tome on Greek myths you could do a lot worse than start here. And the language and sentiments expressed in the book are Victorian; written long before political correctness and diplomatically expressed opinion were 'invented'.
on 26 December 2012
I am enjoying still reading this book. I have found it useful for filling in my knowledge and supplying more information about the greek civilisation. It is a easily read combination of mythological and historical events. It is written essentially for school students, but gives a mature if uncomplicated description of events that have educational background and are helpful in giving more to the history of the Mediterraenaen area.
on 21 January 2014
I felt after a while a little tired of the condescening manner in which it was related; "As we have already discovered, if you remember..." sort of thing! OK, it's all been done (to death?) before, but old subjects can be revived in such ways
as to make things 'seem' fresh. (This isn't one of those ways for me!)
I didn't have a 'classics' education, and usually enjoy bits of 'what I missed' all those years ago!
(Must try harder!!)
on 29 May 2017
Good
on 26 March 2013
Not an easy book to read and will probably delete it from my library. I was interested in Greek Mythology but this was the wrong choice.
on 29 December 2012
While the vocabulary used is quite sophisticated, the book reads as one toned down for children. This does make it accessible, but I found myself considering motives and actions separately from the reading. Since I only had a passing curiosity about Greece in History because of another book (fiction) I'd read recently, this did serve to fill in a few gaps in my knowledge and confirmed some historical facts for me.
on 8 January 2015