on 29 December 2011
This looks the business and does the business too. It replaced an old netgear router which had served me well and had good indoor range so I wanted something as good but with faster wifi - this does that with its dual band wireless router, which allows a choice of connection bandwidths for different applications.
on 13 April 2014
When you get the router it is much smaller than It looks in the picture. Its a plus I suppose. Gets quite warm which is worrying and the plug takes a bit of a jiggle to get it to connect to the adapter. I thought it was faulty at first.

But, It is an epic router. Recommend to anyone buying this!
on 19 August 2015
Took less than 1 minute to set-up with my Virgin Media connection and immediately made the maximum speed possible (100Mbit/s) which was rarely achievable before with the Virgin Superhub. The media sharing and other features were quick an easy to setup, and wifi signal is fast & strong. Highly recommended.
on 15 November 2012
I purchased this after reading the reviews, to supplement my Virgin Superhub, which is now just set to modem mode.

This wifi router was a lot easier to set up than I expected and has been working for a week without any drop outs or problems. Looks very sleek and I'm very pleased with it.
on 6 February 2014
Well, maybe I decided in haste... I read somewhere the 802n would give better range than my old g wireless router. It is a bit better, but maybe my hopes were too high. Still need to centralize it in the house to improve things, but was frankly hoping I'd not have to faff with that.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 May 2013
Brought this becase of the good reviews as the virgin super hub is crap, put the hub in modam mode connected this up now i have 5 bars on my laptop had it up & runing straight away just update the firmwear and you will notice a lot of differance if you have the not so super virgin hub.
on 23 June 2012
Simple to set up ... the GUI is so intuitive additional instructions weren't required. The looks were a major contributor to choosing this device so we were pleased to find that it is even more compact than the images portray making it much less of an eyesore than most routers.
on 15 July 2013
This is a great easy to setup product. I've connected it via ethernet to my Home hub two and set it up as an access point to extend my internet access downstairs.
It's really fast and I've experienced no drop out at all so far.

I can definitely recommend.
on 11 July 2014
Greater wireless signal strength than previous routers used. Fibre speed no different to BT, Netgear or Technicolor routers I've tried but the utilities are very comprehensive and the dual band wireless will be useful if many wireless devices are concurrently connected.
on 10 June 2011
I bought this router to replace a very good Cisco one which disappointed only in the 5Ghz range and strength. Well the Asus rt-n56u certainly has better range than the Cisco but at the expense of stability. Even on a wired connection it drops the Internet 3 or 4 times every day. So I find it difficult to recommend this piece of kit. After all Virgin Media are bad enough at maintaing my 50 mb service without Asus making it more unstable.

I've tried several different firmwares on it but without any improvement. Asus are certainly aware of problems with the router as they have even withdrawn the most recent firmware from their own support site.

I'm going to wait for a new firmware from Asus and try this router again before I consign it to the bin. In the meantime I'm going back to the rock steady Cisco WRT610N.
99 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse