on 6 November 2012
Shakespeare's sonnet invention of having cross rhymes in the first twelve lines with the last two lines as a couplet certainly gives the poet room to move and to move his readers. Even though this is in an olden style of English, I was still able to lightly trip through most of them and understand their meaning. He uses some clever debating and contrasting ploys, but of course they are all essentially about love. I sought phrases and lines that have not been previously highlighted as infamous Shakespeare quotes and felt well rewarded in Sonnets XV, LX, LXIV. I particularly liked the line in Sonnet L "My grief lies onward, and my joy behind". My three favourite sonnets were XXVII which starts "Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed ..." , XLVII which begins "Betwixt mine eye and heart a league is took ..." and LXXVI beginning with "Why is my verse so barren of new pride ...". I wonder what he would think of them if he could come back and read through them again. I only gave my review four stars because I yearned for Shakespeare to write some sonnets on other topics!
on 26 July 2014
You can only admire such writing by a man from centuries past. I bought this after reading how the Sonnets inspired and continue to inspire Simon Callow, the actor. Shakespeare did not inspire me greatly in my school days, I must admit but I like to think that age has given me a better understanding.
on 1 July 2017
Dreadful. The layout is so bad you have no idea where one sonnet end and the other begins. Very poor use of punctuation and capital letters which made it hard to read. I have deleted this book from my kindle.
on 18 July 2017
They're Shakespeare's sonnets - if you love the plays you'll love the sonnets.
on 26 August 2015
I have always enjoyed Shakespeare's works, and perhaps, as we go through different periods of our lives, our likes and dislikes change but I really did not enjoy this. It's another book waiting for a new home!
on 12 July 2017
Good but heavy read.
on 28 March 2013
I used to dislike these when I had to deal with them in school but now I have favourites. I think it was the quoting of one of the sonnets in Sense & Sensibility which made me look at them again, & although there are still some I'm not keen on, as a little light reading they are a pleasure.
on 25 May 2016
Wonderful to have all these gems in one place. Interesting to see how some are so well known whereas others much less so.
on 2 October 2017